Kit61 crossover question

LymphNode

Kit61 crossover question
« on: 28 Jul 2005, 06:39 pm »
Kevin,

I was looking at the Kit61 assembly instructions, and I'm wondering how the speaker is biamped?  Do the new PCBs arrange the parts differently so that the crossovers can be separately powered?  Is there a revision of the assembly instructions in the works for the new PCBs?  Thanks.

LymphNode

Re: Kit61 crossover question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2005, 06:44 pm »
Quote from: LymphNode
Kevin,

I was looking at the Kit61 assembly instructions, and I'm wondering how the speaker is biamped?  Do the new PCBs arrange the parts differently so that the crossovers can be separately powered?  Is there a revision of the assembly instructions in the works for the new PCBs?  Thanks.

p.s. I just got an XR55 which has biamp capability which is why I'm asking.  Thanks again.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Kit61 crossover question
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2005, 08:37 pm »
The KIT61 PCB isn't set up for bi-amping like the KIT641, & LCR PCBs.   It can be done but you have to work with the schematic and lift the legs of a few components on the PCB.    

Get the crossover schematic in front of you and give me a call.   I'll walk you through what needs to be done.

cOz

Kit61 crossover question
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2005, 01:16 pm »
LymphNode,  

Remember to let us know how the speakers sound with the new XR55.  I have a XR25 and really like it.  I bet it will be a killer setup!

Al Garay

Kit61 crossover question
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2005, 03:15 pm »
My LCRs are sounding killer with the Sony digital amp, STR-DA5000ES, which can be had for half it's regular retail price. Still more than the Panasonic XR55 but the Sony has preamp outputs which is nice when you decide to add power from Hypex UcD400 amps ... that will be next week.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Kit61 crossover question
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2005, 04:10 pm »
Quote from: Al Garay
My LCRs are sounding killer with the Sony digital amp, STR-DA5000ES, which can be had for half it's regular retail price. Still more than the Panasonic XR55 but the Sony has preamp outputs which is nice when you decide to add power from Hypex UcD400 amps ... that will be next week.

I've been bi-amping the prototype 2641s with the UCD180s to good effect.   I'm not sure if its just more power or if the bi-amp really helps that much.   I have a UCD400 based amp on the bench and I'll do a comparison to see why next week or the following.

Using these low cost mulit-channel amps for bi & tri-amping the speakers may make a lot of sense.