Anyone using Skype ???

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Anyone using Skype ???
« on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:49 am »
I heard about Skype on a business show last night....I knew nothing about it. The host was saying that with this software available, large phone companies profits may be heading south....
The big three phone companies were in Cramer's danger zone today. Cramer slapped sell recommendations on Verizon (VZ:NYSE - news - research), SBC Communications (SBC:NYSE - news - research) and BellSouth (BLS:NYSE - news - research).

Here's why: Skype. Cramer called Skype "a virus for the phone companies that can't be stopped." The closely held company makes software that allows you to make free calls over the Internet.

"It's made up by the guys that killed the record industry with Kazaa," said Cramer. "Only this time they won't have any legal liability, but nobody's talking about it."

I do remember year's ago, there was a company doing a similar thing....but their not around anymore. :? [/list:u]
      Here's the link for
Skype...[/list:u]

Occam

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:57 am »
I've been using skype for almost 2 years now. Not the phone interface, but the peer to peer facility to talk to a friend in Austalia. Works like a charm (on broadband), no cost.

lonewolfny42

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2005, 03:01 am »
Quote from: Occam
I've been using skype for almost 2 years now. Not the phone interface, but the peer to peer facility to talk to a friend in Austalia. Works like a charm (on broadband), no cost.
Thanks Paul...so it works...good !! 8)

CSMR

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2005, 03:06 am »
I use the computer to make phone calls (not free, to real phones) but I haven't found anything that's good since MSN Messenger dropped the feature. Annoying software, average quality, inconsistent transmission. I haven't tried Skype though. How is it with phones anyone?

DSK

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2005, 04:47 am »
Been using Skype for the last few months (PC to PC). Unfortunately, quality is usually not that great. Often takes 3 or 4 attempts to get connected and once you are connected there are often long dropouts in the conversation. It seems to be getting worse ...possibly as it becomes more popular.
The paid service (ie. PC to phones) seems to be much better quality though.

brj

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2005, 05:24 am »
I've been using Skype for over a year now, primarily on various Linux operating systems but also occasionally on MS Windows 2000.  The peer-to-peer functionality is free, but uses a proprietary codec to manage the datastream.  There are other options that are not only free, but use open source codecs, but they aren't as commonly known.  Of these, GnomeMeeting is the most common.  If you stick with MS Windows only, you could also consider the voice capabilities of Yahoo messenger.  Skype seems a bit more full featured, however, and no longer forces me to boot into Windows to talk with friends over my broadband connection.  Even though Skype has (text) instant messenging, I still tend to use Yahoo messenger for that.

I routinely set up 2 way and 3 way conversations on Skype, often during periods of heavy network traffic, and have never had a problem.  Clarity and speech quality have been very good in my experience, with only the occasional, small bits of interruption (less than my cell phone, actually).  I've never had a problem connecting.  I will qualify those statements by adding that I and everyone I've tried it with has had very good broadband connections, both cable and DSL.  One other point - Skype had no problems getting in and out of my hardware router and software firewall, which has occasionally caused problem for other programs that need network access.

Thump553

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2005, 09:38 pm »
I was volunteering at a music festival last weekend and happened to have lunch with a guitarist that travels overseas and around the country a lot.  When I mentioned that my nephew was currently in Germany, he gave a very big reccomendation about Skype.  Apparently he has been using it for a couple of years and views it as a real godsend in avoiding long distance charges.

DSK

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2005, 12:50 am »
Quote from: brj
I routinely set up 2 way and 3 way conversations on Skype, often during periods of heavy network traffic, and have never had a problem. Clarity and speech quality have been very good in my experience, with only the occasional, small bits of interruption (less than my cell phone, actually). I've never had a problem connecting. I will qualify those statements by adding that I and everyone I've tried it with has had very good broadband connections, both cable and DSL. One other point - Skype had no problems getting in and out of my hardware router and software firewall, which has occasionally caused problem for other programs that need network access.. ...

Strange we get such different results. I'm in Melbourne on a good Optus broadband cable connection. Like you, no firewall problems or special steps required.

Initially (approx 6 months ago) we had no connection problems and only an occasional dropout of less than 3 seconds in length. Usually, after the dropout, the other party's sentence would continue from where it left off (ie. nothing missing, just a pause) ...is the content buffered? However, especially in the last couple of months we have problems on every call.

When I hear the ring and see the Skype pop-up saying that someone is calling me, I put on the headset and click on the green phone (answer) icon. I hear silence for approx 7 seconds then the call is disconnected. This can happen 3 or 4 times in a row. When I call someone else, Skype indicates that it is calling but often there is no ring tone, just a click several seconds later as the call is disconnected.

If we finally connect (and haven't slammed our headsets onto the desk in frustration and picked up the regular phone) there are constant dropouts of up to 10 seconds and actual content is missing (ie. sentence doesn't always pick up where it left off). Again, often we have to kill the call and resort to regular phone.

All these problems are related to free peer-to-peer calls, not calls to regular phones. I have only had one peer-to-phone call (I was the receiving party). It was only a couple of weeks ago and the quality was excellent.

I'm not trying to bag Skype here ...it is a free service after all. I'm just trying to articulate my experience with Skype and figure out why it does/doesn't match that of other users. If you guys have no peer-to-peer problems at this time, it seems to kill my notion that the apparent continuing decline of the service is due to increased traffic. Nothing has changed on my machine during this period and it is a quite stable P4 machine. So, I don't think it is anything on my machine causing the problems. I could understand how something on my machine could cause the Skype service not to work at all, but not how it could cause intermittent connections or dropouts during calls.  :?  :?  :?

EchiDna

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2005, 11:53 am »
ah...

now this I can help you with DSK... My mum and dad are in Melbourne with an Optus cable connection and we always had the same problem you mention of drop outs, pauses then hang ups etc ... until we found the issue, now it works like a charm everytime!

We found that by sending an MSN message (or yahoo messenger or a standard SMS) was the easiest and cheapest way to alert the other party that you wanted to chat, then we start Skype, but only after the whole headset audio thing is selected as the only audio device - if your speakers are active, or you have multiple microphones (eg, I have one in my monitor, one in my webcam and one in my headset) you get problems. if you forget, stop skype (as in close it down totally) and fix the audio settings up with just the headset active, then restart skype. No problems from then on in my experience.

However, you do need to realise that skype is also P2P, which means that when you are not in a call you should close the program as it chews up your bandwidth allowance (if you have one - optus do from memory!)

GL with it, and let me know if you have any other problems...

Skype more than pays the difference in reduced phone bills to the increased cost of broadband for my folks ;-) they are happy, we are happy and there is the added bonus of video conference at the same time so they can also see their grandkid!

EchiDna

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2005, 12:05 pm »
oh and I forgot to mention - it's Hugh Dean of AKSA fame's (also an optus user) preferred method of contact with his clients ;-) free, reliable and well... FREEE  :D

stuw

• Audioparts Inc
Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2005, 12:35 pm »
I dont use SKYPE but I do use a VOIP system (LINGO) instead. Hooked up with them about a year and a half ago and the system works beautifully. Very inexpensive free unlimited calls in USA and CANADA AND all of Western Europe to any plone. VOIP is great except when your broadband connection goes down (we have cells for that reason.) Check it out..

DSK

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2005, 02:03 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna
...but only after the whole headset audio thing is selected as the only audio device - if your speakers are active, or you have multiple microphones (eg, I have one in my monitor, one in my webcam and one in my headset) you get problems. if you forget, stop skype (as in close it down totally) and fix the audio settings up with just the headset active, then restart skype. No problems from then on in my experience. ...

EchiDna ....thanks from one AKSA owner to another  :D  and yes, I know Hugh very well, we have shared many a coffee, lunch & chat.

I use an Altec Lansing headset and it is the only audio device connected to my PC. So, this doesn't seem to be the problem.  :?

lonewolfny42

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2005, 09:17 pm »
SKYPE news....will be part of Ebay.... see story......

CSMR

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2005, 08:16 pm »
Started using Skype. Better than the previous internet service I tried, but the sound quality is way off what you get with a regular phone and it feels less responsive. Even when calling within the same state. The low quality must come from their being really cheap and overcompressing everything.

Nick B

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2005, 09:04 pm »
I've used Skype for a year. The sound quality is very good. They offer free upgrades and I have found it to be quite reliable.

djklmnop

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2006, 10:32 am »
Looks like it's 2006 now and skype seems to have come a long way.  Is anyone using it now?   I'm curious to see if anyone would like to schedule a conference session.

I have a bluetooth headset hooked up, so I can skype wirelessly as if I were on the phone.  Pretty nifty.

Anyone interested in a group conference one of these days?

Andy

Rocket

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2006, 12:14 pm »
Hi Andy,

Do you still go on the chatline?  I used to have a blast.  Unfortunately i don't use skype.  Hope all is going well for you.

Regards

Rod

ss397

Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2006, 02:54 pm »
i've been using skype for the last few months. it has worked well for me calling to switzerland. i'm quite impressed with the setup.

jkelly

Re: Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2007, 11:53 am »
I have been using Google Talk to talk to my daughter in China and I have found
it to be much easier to use and more reliable (from the stutter point of view)
than other products.  Audio quality is excellent.

Jeff

PhilNYC

Re: Anyone using Skype ???
« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2007, 11:58 am »
I use Skype mostly for video conferencing on my PC (eg. letting my parents in California see my kids in NJ, etc), and use Verizon's FIOS IP telephone.  No complaints whatsoever.  My brother-in-law has the full Skype phone system, and it is almost always perfectly clear...