T2: Extreme Edition in HD

bob82274

« on: 11 Apr 2003, 03:59 pm »
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/393/393023p1.html

Apperently this new disk will have a copy of the HD version of the movie though it will be encoded in the windows media format.  I personally think this is an awsome idea you just need a pc capable of pulling it off.  I plan on being out in the work force a year from now... maybe I'll pickup a HDTV.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2003, 03:45 am »
Have you seen the requirements on the HD version? :o I can't say that I know anyone who's got a 'puter that suped up.

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2003, 05:20 am »
I will in a couple of weeks!  Thing is that most of the people I know have a computer that is less than a year old as they bought one right before going off to college.  Everyone except me of course.

Mathew_M

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2003, 03:45 pm »
I'm impressed with Microsoft's venture into the high def home theater universe.  I've never seen high def projected but I'm sure it looks worlds better than standard dvd.   Since Front projection is the future I'm betting we'll see some sort of home theater equivalent to the xbox released from MS in the near future.

The problem with current home theater pc's is the archaic setup.  If MS were to introduce an all-in-one box and I'm talking dlp projector, hi-def dvd player, surround sound proc. hell even an xbox for under a two grand it would sell like hot cakes.  Though at this price point it would be a loss for MS unless they can get a large chunk of software sales.  Bill Gates might be friends with James Cameron but he's no Steve Jobs who wrangled the big 5 record labels together for the Apple music store.

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2003, 10:52 pm »
Ok I just picked it up today.  All I can say is WOW... or I would be saying that except I don't have an HDTV.  I know that regular DVDs look better on my TV than on my monitor because it is old and not of the best quality.  Even given that it looked amazing.  Sigh...  

Warning: If you are thinking of picking this up if you have an HTPC be forewarned, it takes a monster to run it.  Recommended specs: 3.0 GHz, 512 MB, and 128 MB Video Card.  This is what the disk says not what I suggest but my 2.8 GHz had a hard time running it (though it was perfectly smooth).

hk29

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2003, 02:29 am »
Download the demos:

http://windowsmedia.com/9Series/DemoCenter/VideoQuality.asp?page=6&lookup=VideoQuality

Using Zoomplayer is better than WM9 on these demos ...[/url]

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2003, 03:24 am »
What is this zoomplayer and why is it better than WMP9?

I dont want to put WMP9 on my main PC yet, if ever, so an alternative is appealing.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2003, 04:03 am »
OK I looked it up

here is a quote from the Zoomplayer FAQ

"Microsoft Windows Media Format comes in two flavors, "WMA" Audio files and "WMV" AudioVideo files. In order to play these properly you must have the latest version of the Windows Media Player installed (something a lot of people abhor) as Zoom Player utilizes some interfaces that installing the Windows Media Codecs alone do not provide. "

I remember I have an XP machine available and it may have WMP9. If not I guess i will pop in on there.

hk29 - Do you have the pay version of ZoomPlayer?

hk29

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2003, 02:13 pm »
2 versions - free and fee.  Just try it on a DVD plauer like winDVD or PowerDVD.  For some reason on m computer it works much smoother.  But, yes you do have to have wm9 on the machine first.