Front wall reflection issue

richlo

« on: 27 Jul 2005, 09:03 pm »
Okay Im going to local insulation distributor that carries the OC703, my issue is that the front wall actually has the tv and then it has a pulldown screen for my Infocus, with that setup -does it make any sense to put the panels on the front wall?? since its being blocked by the screen?? also my center channel is below the screen on its own stand.

I  know for sure I will have sides and rear panels, along with corner traps..

BradJudy

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2005, 09:08 pm »
This is one of the things I'll be testing soon with the acoustic cotton I recently picked up.  I'll be trying corner items and front wall items and doing some measurements using ETF.  It will probably be a few days before I get around to it though.

I have a similar setup with a pull-down screen in front of a regular TV.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Front wall reflection issue
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2005, 01:50 pm »
Rich,

> with that setup -does it make any sense to put the panels on the front wall?? since its being blocked by the screen?? <

I don't think treating the entire front wall makes much sense even when the wall is not obstructed. The most important treatments are 1) bass traps in corners, and 2) mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling. If the room is still too live sounding, then treating the front wall can be considered. But in that case the front wall is just one more place to put absorption, along with the other walls and ceiling. Here's an article I wrote about this exact issue:

www.realtraps.com/art_front-wall.htm

--Ethan

richlo

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:59 pm »
Ethan

Thanks so much, Ive actually printed out several of your articles..

I have one question as it relates to ceiling, currently I have a drop ceiling, if I put some of the panels sitting directly above the drop ceiling tile - will that work - or do I actually have to use only the Panel without the ceiling tile..I might have some left over after treates the corners and the side walls..

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2005, 02:51 pm »
Rich,

> if I put some of the panels sitting directly above the drop ceiling tile <

Ideally the panels will straddle the corner above the tiles. Ceiling tiles are invisible to low frequencies, so they don't help or hurt.

For a drop ceiling, assuming you have at least 6 to 12 inches above the tiles, you can simply lay fluffy fiberglass on top of the tiles. If you have room for R38 (12 inches thick) that will do a great job. Otherwise use as thick as you can fit.

--Ethan

richlo

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2005, 07:41 pm »
Quote from: Ethan Winer
Rich,

> if I put some of the panels sitting directly above the drop ceiling tile <

Ideally the panels will straddle the corner above the tiles. Ceiling tiles are invisible to low frequencies, so they don't help or hurt.

For a drop ceiling, assuming you have at least 6 to 12 inches above the tiles, you can simply lay fluffy fiberglass on top of the tiles. If you have room for R38 (12 inches thick) that will do a great job. Otherwise use as thick as you can fit.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan..

Picked up today a box of OC703 1.5" and also 2" (doubling it up for the bass traps)...I definitely have more than 12" above..So I will put the remainder of my tiles up above the drop ceiling tiles...thanks..as always

Those interested in the Chicago area should call Specialty Products & Insulation for the 703 or even the 705..

There number is 630 773-1200..(Itasca, IL)

I am not affiliated with them..its just I know its hard to find this product..they also service other major metropolitan areas...

richlo

Update -
« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2005, 02:00 pm »
Well I went ahead and made some panels, I added to the back 2 of the 4" (actually 2 of the 2" combined)  and I added 1 1/2 inch panels to the left side of the wall, the right side and one at the back of the wall..The first thing that jumped out at me after installing them was the diff in the midrange - less bright more open I suppose I want to say. There was some bass scenes that I used in the past for demoing - it was clearly diff than what Im used to..I found myself a little confused - it felt like kinda going from a bright speaker to a laid back speaker - your not sure if you like it at first since youve become use to the original sound.

I am getting an RDES (AV123 subwoofer calibration software+module) soon, and so I will take some readings to see where I am at..I do have some more rigid fiberglass left - so I will experiment with those if need be..

So far what I do like is that the room seems much quieter - not a bat cave because I do have a small walk way entrance hallway..

Thanks Ethan (super articles for the novice) and everyone else here for your great advice..

I will post some pix of my new setup...Im sure I could use more advice  :lol: