HELP with HT set-up

syogusr

HELP with HT set-up
« on: 27 Jul 2005, 01:31 pm »
In hooking up my Home Theatre, (Denon;AVR-3300/Samsung HDTV-Slim-Fit/Onkyo Universal DVD-A;DVD;SACD Player (DV-CP802),I have run into a peculiar problem, everything works with the Onkyo except the SACD's. They won't play. Does anyone have any clue what I might be doing wrong??

arthurs

HELP with HT set-up
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2005, 01:33 pm »
won't play how?  won't read the disc, no sound at all or only sound from certain channels?  a little more detail will help.

syogusr

HELP with HT set-up
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2005, 01:48 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
won't play how?  won't read the disc, no sound at all or only sound from certain channels?  a little more detail will help.

I get no sound whatsoever from any SACD, but the DVA-A and DVD and redbook CD play fine.
But no sound from any SACD's!!

Ron D

HELP with HT set-up
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2005, 02:32 pm »
not sure but maybe you only have a digital coax hooked up between the Onkyo and the Denon? If thats the case then you would only receive the digital signal from the the following layers: dvd,cd and maybe the dvd-a (I think they also do 24/96 via the coax output as opposed to a true 5 channel signal).

Can you verify that you have analog cables running from the back of the Onkyo - could be just the left and right output or 5.1 (5 cables + sub)?

If you have just a coax cable running at the moment thats your problem. If not this may be the end of my ability to help....

arthurs

HELP with HT set-up
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2005, 02:35 pm »
that's where I was headed Ron

syogusr

HELP with HT set-up
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2005, 03:11 pm »
Quote from: Ron D
not sure but maybe you only have a digital coax hooked up between the Onkyo and the Denon? If thats the case then you would only receive the digital signal from the the following layers: dvd,cd and maybe the dvd-a (I think they also do 24/96 via the coax output as opposed to a true 5 channel signal).

Can you verify that you have analog cables running from the back of the Onkyo - could be just the left and right output or 5.1 (5 cables + sub)?

If you have just a coax cable running at the moment thats your problem. If not this may be the end of my ability to help....

RonD: I just inserted a left/right (red and white) where I thought it should go, and now I get sound from SACD's.
I just added a Samsung HDTV, and I think I was overzealous in ellimanating cables :lol:
But truth be told, I still don't understand why what you suggested works. Are you saying that digital only works with DVD/DVD-A/CD, but not SACD?? :?
Anyway, I wish there was some way to compensate you for your help!
Now maybe I can get some sleep at night :lol:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
HELP with HT set-up
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2005, 03:41 pm »
The analog cables you've added will now not only give you hi-resolution SACD sound but also hi-rez output from your DVD-A's, assuming you make sure it's set up that way in your player  (for your DVD-A's you were previously getting a lucky 24/96 pcm thru your digital coax, cuz a few discs will do that, or more likely a low-rez Dolby or DTS 2 channel downmix).

Moreover, by "Home Theater" I assume you also mean surround speakers.  For the multichannel hi-rez stuff to truly work (i.e not just hearing the lower rez DTS or Dolby dig layers from DVD-A's for instance) you will now need to additionally add analog (red and white, etc) rca cables from the universal player's center, surround and sub outputs into those same inputs on your receiver.  This way you'll get high resolution analog sound from DVD-A's and SACD's in both 2 channel and 5.1.  The digital coax will take care of DVD movie surround sound (DTS or Dolby) but not high resolution surround from your SACD's and DVD-A's the way they were meant to be heard.

Ted

Digi-G

HELP with HT set-up
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2005, 05:57 pm »
I'll second what teb_b said.  If you only have the left and right analog cables and a digital cable connected from your dvd player to your receiver you may be missing quite a bit of the music.

If your discs are SACD surround or DVD-A surround you're not hearing all of it.  Assuming you have the inputs on your receiver for all of the signals and assuming you have a full surround setup you owe it to yourself to hear all of the channels.  The high resolution signal will only get to your receiver via independant cables for each channel (i.e. analog).