Active XO frequency for marble 9

oris98

« on: 25 Jul 2005, 05:35 am »
Hi all,

Are there any preferences of the active XO points for the marble 9 speakers ?  Thinking of trying out active XO (moving from DM XO to Marchand or some other brands), I want to hear other people's comment on which xo point sets are sounded sweatest to the ears ?   What about integrating with a or pair of subs ?  Do I need a 3 ways active XO or just  a 2 way stereo/ 3 way mono ? (high pass, mid pass and low pass ?)

Does anyone tried the DIY active xo ?  comment ?
Many thanks.

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2005, 04:58 pm »
I would try various frequencies between 2000 and 3000 hz.

Did you want to sell your DM XO's?

I'd be interested as I still have a pair of wood 9.0's..well actually they are my 10 year old daughters.

aggielaw

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2005, 05:18 pm »
Rob,
Just for grins and the "You've got to be kidding me" effect, maybe you could list the speakers you have in your house right now! :)

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2005, 05:24 pm »
VMPS RM40's, 626R's
Selah in wall's
nOrh: 4.0's (5 marble)
         Prism 5.2's
2 pair of column 9.0's
1 pair wood 9.0
1 pair Sansui SP X6900
                    SP X9900
B&W 601S2
Canton Karat 20's
Salk Sound HT3's/HTC
Bikini rock speakers
SVS Ultra Subs
2 nOrh subs w/TC Sounds woofers and upgraded amps
Klipsch 10" sub

Radio Shack Minimus 7's

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but that's off the top of my head.

oris98

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2005, 08:00 pm »
Hi Marbles
I am hunting for the active XO.. If I come across any good one in my mind,  I will properbly sell my DM's XO.  In fact, you are the third one ask me about the XO for sell..   I know you have your XO upgraded to DM design too right ?  What caps and inductors are you using on yours ?

BTW,  how do you like your Norh Sub ?  Are they the marble subs ?  What do you think of stereo subs ?  or just one basically is good ? How do you setup xo freq. for your subs ? I don't need loud base, I just want good sound qty ..

Thanks.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2005, 08:18 pm »
Quote from: oris98
Hi Marbles
I am hunting for the active XO.. If I come across any good one in my mind,  I will properbly sell my DM's XO.  In fact, you are the third one ask me about the XO for sell..   I know you have your XO upgraded to DM design too right ?  What caps and inductors are you using on yours ?

BTW,  how do you like your Norh Sub ?  Are they the marble subs ?  What do you think of stereo subs ?  or just one basically is good ? How do you setup xo freq. for your subs ? I don't need loud base, I just want good sound qty ..

Thanks.

I have my smaller column 9.0's modded, and Dennis has my larger column 9.0's.  He mentioned they should be done soon.

I have Sonicaps and basic air coil inductors.

My nOrh subs are the wood ones.  I was disapointed with them hence the moding of the amps and the changing of the drivers.

I do want to get the marble subwoofers (passive) and I would like them to be in the same column shape as the speakers.  I would like to use Danny Richie's GR Research woofer and passive in the design.

I currently have dual mono subs both in the front right corner.

For nOrh 9.0's I highly recomend XOing them to stereo subs at around 70 hz, thus releaving the 5.5" woofer from having to play the lowest frequencies.  If you only have one sub, XOing them at 70hz should not be a problem.  With stereo front firing woofers you can also play with higher XO points.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Active XO frequency for marble 9
« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2005, 12:01 am »
Hi all,

Are there any preferences of the active XO points for the marble 9 speakers ?  Thinking of trying out active XO (moving from DM XO to Marchand or some other brands), I want to hear other people's comment on which xo point sets are sounded sweatest to the ears ?   What about integrating with a or pair of subs ?  Do I need a 3 ways active XO or just  a 2 way stereo/ 3 way mono ? (high pass, mid pass and low pass ?)

Many thanks.

I have the XO point at 2500Hz. I have three options, 2000,2500, and 3000 with the original (rebuilt) Multiamps. As I recall Tyson liked the 2500 setting best as well - that was eons ago.

I will be going with the IRD PT-3 because I feel that Curt is really optimizing this thing for high end audio. He has nOrh and IRD equipmenmt to test with of course. Also the amazing build quality of all his products. He has had plenty of time to engineer this product and test it, meditate on it, and think about the best approach, and it looks like a best-of-class solution to me. Plenty of standard crossover points and availablility of customized crossover points as well.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Active XO frequency for marble 9
« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2005, 12:41 am »
Hi all,

Many thanks.

You'll need something other than the Marchand to get the best results. The crossover should be flexible enough to contour the transfer function and provide baffle step compensation.