The VAF Research DC-X Speakers

bluesky

« on: 22 Jul 2005, 09:34 am »
Just wondering if anyone has listened to the new VAF Research DC-X speakers.  They appear to be a significant upgrade from the previous model and I would like to know how they compare to the Aksonics which I have built (and like very much I must add).

Cheers

Bluesky

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2005, 11:36 pm »
Ian,

There were a couple here loaned to the Melbourne Audio Club by Philip Vafiadis, the founder of VAF.

I had a good listen with an AKSA 100 N+ driving them.

The speakers are an improvement over the old model, no question.  But they do not have the ultimate refinement yet, though Ron Newbound, speaker tweaker extraordinaire and the designer of the AKSonic, has built a crossover for the older VAF and it pipped the new model for imaging and midrange tone and clarity.

Cheers,

Hugh

Mal P

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2005, 09:47 am »
I used to own the original DC-X (unmodded) as well as their upmarket Signature I-66. I'm afraid I don't like the VAF "sound" you might say, it's too dry, too crisp, too fatiguing. I'm not sure if the DC-X Gen 4 has changed that house sound.

I now own Dynaudios which provide a much more smooth tonal balance. I'm sure there are other speakers in that price range which will do the trick. Vienna Acoustics? Second hand Sonus Faber?

Sincerely,
Mal