Price of upgrades

pugs

Price of upgrades
« on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:44 am »
How much does it cost to upgrade from monos to extreme monos?  I think the upgrade is less than the difference in cost between new monos and new extremes.  Does the extreme upgrade include the new red board and/or any other updates?

Also, how much is the cost difference of upgrading my existing Tempest to Tempest extreme.  What are the benefits of the exteme Tempest?

I have Salk HT3 and HTC on order.  I would love to have the upgrades done by the time I receive them.

djbnh

Price of upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2005, 10:07 am »
Pugs,

Sounds like an evening call to Klaus will get you all your answers. Also, there's some info in the Odyssey AC circle about some of your questions - try a search re: Tempest Extreme.

bunky

Price of upgrades
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2005, 06:34 pm »
before i bought my tempest i asked klaus if it would be in my best interest to get the extreme version.  he explained that the upgrades were mainly to hotrod the phono section and the fact that i use only digital sources and no turntable in my case it was not needed.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Price of upgrades
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2005, 07:46 pm »
Wow! Your not "the Bunky" I used to work with at Swales Aerospace are you? How the Hell are you Man!
Merle

KarlDL

Price of upgrades
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2005, 01:59 am »
Bunky,

I can assure you that the "Extreme" upgrade to the Tempest is meaningless if you're not using its phono section.  I did the circuit board half the upgrade, precisely for phono performance, but skipped the mu-metal power supply transformer half because my hearing's not sensitive enough to notice the hum/noise advantage thereof.

There's NO difference in the high-level circuitry, aside from ability to precisely balance the power supply (trivial).  I know because I reverse-engineered it.  And there's no sonic difference, either.

--Karl