...ummmm...

Scott F.

...ummmm...
« on: 21 Jul 2005, 04:32 pm »
don't know if anybody has been looking but there have been some killer concerts, ballet's and opera's announced at Touhill.

Wayne Shorter Quartet
Pat Metheny Trio
Taikoza Japanese Drums
Salzburg Chamber Soloists

just to name a few

Mike D

...ummmm...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2005, 04:01 pm »
Have you ever heard a group like the Taikoza Japanese Drums?  When are they coming?

Scott F.

...ummmm...
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2005, 11:47 pm »
Quote from: Mike D
Have you ever heard a group like the Taikoza Japanese Drums?  When are they coming?

Sure have.

We (my lovely wife and kids) all went to see the Kodo Drummers at Powell Hall a few years ago. Truely unbelievable. None of us have ever experienced a concert that was that powerful and dynamic before. At one point during the concert they had 14 people all beating on the small snare sized drums, 4 people on Kettle sized drums and one lone guy beating his brains out on this 6 foot diameter bass drum. I'd swear the SPLs were close to 105 in the hall and you could literally feel your pants shaking with the impact of the drum beats.

I have't heard the Taikoza drummers (so I can't say for sure) but the Kodo drummers also played the Japaneze guitars, thier verson of some minature vibes, some sort of small finger operated cymbals and those little voodoo like hand drums made from gourds (sp?).

If you are interesting in something completely different, this should be it.

Hey, I'd bet Alex would be interested in going too. I'll give him a buzz. I know another couple we bum with will want to go.

Anybody up for a group outing?

Here is Touhill's link
https://touhillpac.umsl.edu/index.aspx

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
...ummmm...
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2005, 03:21 am »
Hey...... Vanilla Ice is coming here next week--- YEE HA. Yea baby..... Ice, Ice Baby. (why my town?)
 Twisted Sister will also be here soon. I might just go to that one for Shits n' Giggles. What do you wanna do with your life :lol:

On a reality check, I just saw Hootie and the Blowfish live the other night. Regardless of what one might think of this group, their live performance was great. Hootie, in my opinion, is getting better with age.

The local concert house (which I get all free tickets to) does have some good gatherings once in a while. Charlie Daniels was a kick ass time. Proplem I had with the Hottie show was a few thousand people cramed into a building with no functioning AC (air conditioning). Hootie stopped in the midlle of his second song just to say, "Holy shit, it's f'ing hot in here". Then he left to go out back and change into a more sutible shirt.

Live music is the best and I would recommend anyone try to attend as much as possible. Even if the performer is not top on your "list", the live experience is well worth the night out.