Le Amp: with the benefit of hindsight

spartane5c

« on: 21 Jul 2005, 04:26 pm »
Original Le Amp monoblocks come up used from time to time. In fact, there's a pair for sale on the Gon right now.

With the benefit of 3 or 4 years experience (and trying to forget for a moment all the rancour around Le Amp II etc etc) what do we think about the sonic performance of version 1.0? Are they a good used buy for someone interested in checking out the 'chip amp' audio flavour? Any views on speaker matching?

Thanks in advance.

aggielaw

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2005, 05:17 pm »
I saw that ad last night and wondered the same thing.  Somehow, despite all the statements from owners that these amps are "giant killers," I just can't see them outperforming other high-value amps, such as my Revision A McCormack DNA-0.5.  

Truth be told, howver, I would have offered to buy that Bolder-modded pair on a'gon last night but for the fact that I'm spending alot of money on RSA Poiema cables right now due to their 45% off sale.  My system vs. income (vs. other debts) situation is at a point now where I can only focus on upgrading one part of the system at a time, so I have to pass on those amps.

Unless you have an amp you're really, REALLY happy with, why not take the leap and pick that pair up?  If you like what you already have better, you can sell those amps for close to what you're buying them for.

Good luck - and if you do buy those amps please let us all know how they sound!

Howard

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2005, 06:56 pm »
Does anyone have any word on the le amp II??

It looks like a good deal. Are they any good??

suits_me

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:05 am »
>Does anyone have any word on the le amp II??

I don't think anyone knows, since so much went wrong for the company all at once as they were supposed to be released. And then the company began to focus on mini PC servers....

A lot of purchase risk here, I think.

aggielaw

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2005, 05:17 am »
Yes, in email with Mr. Barnes earlier this year it appeared he was completely dedicated to the nOrhTec side of the house, to good effect.  His revolutionary computer products have landed him several HUGE contracts with major international companies, and it looks like nOrhTec is really taking off.

So where does that leave nOrh audio?  Interesting question.  If Yuths (engineer for nOrh products) has the skill and motivation, he could drive the train under a degree of supervision from Mr. Barnes.  I've asked Yuths and Mr. Barnes in a couple of emails to consider implementing Mr. Murphy's XO, but neither has addressed the issue in reply email to me.  nOrh speakers seem to widely known now as the "little speaker that could" but just lack the XO to be the phenomenal value they were touted to be from day 1.  Not they're bad in their stock form :)  But c'mon, with an XO modification that would only raise the price a few hundred dollars, the speakers would compete with stuff 3 times its price, whereas now it competes with big-name stuff 1.5 times its price and several internet-direct companies (Salk, Taylor, Reference 3A come to mind) have stuff out in the nOrhs' price range that competes quite well with them.

The Le Amp II debacle certainly hurt nOrh's reputation in the audio community, but I believe it will reemerge when Mr. Barnes has time to devote to it.  Despite the ire he drew by apparently not responding to some folks' requests for status information (and I think that's probably more on Namphung and company than Barnes), Barnes is just too classy and - I think - too interested in audio to just keep the current status quo.

Then again, maybe it's all just wishful thinking on my part...

gonefishin

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2005, 12:26 pm »
Quote from: aggielaw
The Le Amp II debacle certainly hurt nOrh's reputation in the audio community, but I believe it will reemerge when Mr. Barnes has time to devote to it. Despite the ire he drew by apparently not responding to some folks' requests for status information (and I think that's probably more on Namphung and company than Barnes), Barnes is just too classy and - I think - too interested in audio to just keep the current status quo.

Hi aggie :)

You know...I know that he'll end up coming back to audio into a receiving group of audiophiles.  But,regardless of excuses...he left a good amount of customers high and dry after making promises upon promises.  Class?  I didn't see any.

I wish Nohr the best in all their ventures, computer and audio.  But what he did and how he treated his following showed many things...but I didn't see class there at all.

take care,
     dan

aggielaw

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:27 pm »
Howdy Dan!  Yes, I understand there are a lot of hacked off people, and for good reason.  By the way, was there ever a resolution on the Le Amp II fiasco?  Maybe Barnes knows he needs to make up some ground from that and that's why I've had such good response from him this year.  My experience seems to be consistent with others' aside from those buying the Le Amp II.

I've also noticed that Mr. Barnes doesn't appear to have a go-to guy (or girl) for responding to customers' emails.  When I had technical questions that were forwarded to Yuths, I waited days for a response, and in one case Mr. Barnes had to forward my email to him 3 times to get me an answer (which I gather from the tone of Barnes' email to Yuths drew much ire.)  Namphung in sales has been pretty responsive, but I don't think her English is very good.  They're Thai, though, so what can I expect?  If I had to communicate in another language I'd be pretty much screwed shy of "Donde esta el bano?"  :D

I know I sound like a Barnes apologist, and I don't mean to be.  Now, more than ever, companies and their heads need to be held acountable for their acts and omissions.  It's just a shame to see a company that started as a pioneer in its field go to hell in a handbasket.  Hard to argue with the money nOrhTec is making taking away from the audio side, but when it's all said and done, the purchasers of Le Amp II rightly expect more than what they got from nOrh audio.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Le Amp: with the benefit of hindsight
« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2005, 01:08 am »
Quote from: spartane5c
Original Le Amp monoblocks come up used from time to time. In fact, there's a pair for sale on the Gon right now.

With the benefit of 3 or 4 years experience (and trying to forget for a moment all the rancour around Le Amp II etc etc) what do we think about the sonic performance of version 1.0? Are they a good used buy for someone interested in checking out the 'chip amp' audio flavour? Any views on speaker matching?

Thanks in advance.

To get back to the original question, after catching up a little and seeing this topic, I would say Le Amps are a great value. Plenty of clean power for most needs. I have had 2 of them since the original batch shipped and also bought an MB-100 from IRD for my center channel. I will probably buy more MB-100s and MB-250s when available. You would be amazed at the build quality, low temperature, solid as a rock, almost worth the price just to see how a monoblock can be built without even hearing them (well lets not go that far).

Not sure what they are asking for a modded pair of Le Amps, and I don't remember how much an improvement was actually achieved, but I would feel good about paying 400-500 for a pair of used ones (I got mine for 195 apiece as an introductory special IIRC).

The Le Amps are a great way to try out the 'chip amp' audio flavour IMHO. Check the specs out at IRDAudio.com. If they check out, I would definitely consider them.

vapro10s

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2005, 12:38 pm »
I bought a pair of Le Amps from Dennis and had them modded by Wayne of Bolder Cable. Dennis had a number of Le Amps when he did the great DC by-pass trials that are recounted on this sites archives.

Wayne did a great job! I think mine were the 4th or 5th pair he did. I have not been using my modded Le Amps for about 8 months now (have my first tube integrated) and would sell them for $450 + shipping. I think the original price for Waynes mods were $300 and Le Amp pair was $495?

raker10s@aol.com

Curt

Re: Le Amp: with the benefit of hindsight
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2005, 08:33 pm »
Quote from: jqp
To get back to the original question, after catching up a little and seeing this topic, I would say Le Amps are a great value. Plenty of clean power for most needs. I have had 2 of them since the original batch shipped and also bought an MB-100 from IRD for my center channel. I will probably buy more MB-100s and MB-250s when available. You would be amazed at the build quality, low temperature, solid as a rock, almost worth the price just to see how a monoblock can be built without even hearing them (well le ...

You guys sound like you can't get these amps anymore so I thought I'd just mention that you can. I hope this post isn't out of line.

Everyone should understand that a modded LeAmp is exactly equal to an MB-100. The mod is simply removing one cap that was never installed in the MB-100s. There is no difference, none at all, except the name on the front and the newer blue LED.

The MB-100s are a current product. We never stopped selling them. They are in stock for $538 per pair in Charlotte NC with a 3 year warranty and delivery in the USA is free.

Highlander

« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2005, 09:51 pm »
FWIW.  Curt (or someone who works for him) repaired a blown LeAmp that I had and then converted both of them to MB-100 cosmetics.

They are doing a stellar job driving my Castle Howard speakers as part of a two-channel HT setup.  For those that are interested the preamp is an Audible Illusions Modulus 3.

Great value, no frills, no pretensions poweramps.

Jim

DeanSheen

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2005, 05:44 pm »
They rock.  I've had mine for years.  I like 'em alot.  

On the other hijacked topic, I do wish Norh or someone else would come out with crossover upgrade kits.