Nice review on RealTraps products

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 17 Jul 2005, 09:20 pm »
You can read it here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/realtraps.htm

FWIW, I totally agree with the reviewer's very positive reaction.

George

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Nice review on RealTraps products
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2005, 05:41 pm »
George,

> FWIW, I totally agree with the reviewer's very positive reaction. <

Thanks very much!

And thanks for the heads-up. I knew this review was coming, but I thought it wouldn't be for another month.

--Ethan

cytocycle

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2005, 07:47 am »
I have 13 of the realtraps and can totally agree especially since I just added my Wilson Watch Dog Sub to my small 12'x16' room.  Bass guitar notes hit and then decay appropriately (before the room pulsed and was overwhelmed)  
My room only has one small bass peak now and one dip measured with my Tact 2.2x and now that the Peak has been corrected the null has risen.  Bass response is pretty amazing!

Thanks for posting the review I sent it to some of my friends
Chris

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2005, 01:04 pm »
Ethan,  

Congratulations on a good review.  I will add that I can attest to the positive affects of the traps (2 mondo, 3 mini and 5 micros for me).  I do have a question.  I have the minis and mondos on  wall-wall corners with natural triangular cavity behind the traps, but I have the micros flat on the wall with no more than a 1/2" space behind (I am using your black packing foam as spacers).  The micros are for 1st reflection points.  Should I have more space between the wall and the traps to be more effective?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2005, 03:19 pm »
Thanks guys!

Woodsyi:

> The micros are for 1st reflection points.  Should I have more space between the wall and the traps <

Early reflections are mainly a mid and high frequency problem, so putting MicroTraps flat on the wall works fine for that. However, adding a space extends their absorption to lower frequencies, which is always useful.

Further, spacing our panels off the walls also extends their physical reach to absorb a larger area than their 2x4 foot size. Since the rear surface also absorbs, an air gap lets sound that strikes the wall near the panel bounce off the wall and get into the rear. So it's worth having a gap up to several inches if that's convenient and the look is acceptable.

--Ethan