RM40 binding post loose - have a question

tdangelo

« on: 13 Jul 2005, 11:46 am »
is it easier to get to the behind of the post through the passive or the woofer?  Is it easy to tighten once I'm in there?   :)

Thanks

Tony

JoshK

Re: RM40 binding post loose - have a question
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2005, 01:38 pm »
Quote from: tdangelo
is it easier to get to the behind of the post through the passive or the woofer?  Is it easy to tighten once I'm in there?   :)

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

The binding posts will need to be accessed from the passive radiator.  Is it the top ones, the bottom ones or both that is loose?  Is it easy?  No I wouldn't imagine it is because of the leads that are soldered to the back of the posts are likely to make it difficult to get a good grip on the posts.  I would get a good pair of needle nose pliers to grip the nut on the back of the posts around all the wires and such.  Then try to tighted down the posts.   Take your time and dont' get frustrated.   While you are at it you can vitrify your passive radiators if you haven't already.

tdangelo

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2005, 03:24 pm »
Thanks Josh, I'll give it a try tonight ;)

Tony

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2005, 03:42 pm »
I know you have to worry about the gasket and wires but the woofer hole gives you better angle to the binding posts, especially the upper ones.  In fact, the woofer would pretty much get in the way of the bass binding posts.  When I was doing the midbass woofer upgrade, I had both the woofer and the radiator out.

tdangelo

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2005, 10:30 pm »
Well I took off the passive and see what the problem is - the outside black plastic surround on the bottom binding posts is cracked on both speakers.  I guess they were tightened too much ;(  Now what?

Thanks

Tony

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
BP
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2005, 10:41 pm »
We are sending replacements.  The previous owner of your speakers obviously got too enthusiastic with the nut driver.

tdangelo

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2005, 11:19 pm »
Hehe,  Thanks Brian - wow,  response within 2 minutes - now thats what I call service.  

Thanks!

Tony

tdangelo

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2005, 08:05 pm »
Wow, thanks Brian - got the posts already - that was super quick and thanks for the extra pair.  Great service!!

Tony D.