626Rs at the Midwest Audio Fest

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
stands
« Reply #40 on: 29 May 2003, 02:05 am »
Solid stands the same depth as the speaker are preferable, but a beard goes a long way to assisting bass coupling.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2003, 04:12 am »
Quote from: John Casler
The beard Brian is talking about is on the front, but with a rear port it might also help the rear wave of the port, but probably not to the same degree.

The launch of the cone created wave is already traveling down (as well as all around) since the path of least resistance is a 360 degree wave launch.

The air in front of the cone is compressed and the air around the circumference of the cone offers the least resistance, so the wave is forced to expand in all directions.

The beard below the speaker ...

The port output is lower in frequency vs. the cone, meaning the beard effects are location dependent.  But back to my original question regarding the recommended slant orientation: does bottom of beard slant closer to listener or further away (vs. the top)?

John Casler

« Reply #42 on: 30 May 2003, 11:32 pm »
But back to my original question regarding the recommended slant orientation: does bottom of beard slant closer to listener or further away (vs. the top)?

Closer.

This causes less interuption/disturbance in the travel of the wave (no 90 degree angle)

It is similar to the "horn" effect of placing a woofer in a corner.

J Harris

« Reply #43 on: 7 Jun 2003, 07:32 pm »
I have my 626Rs mounted on top my ACI Titan subs (which are currently not being used, until I dial in the bass on the 626es).

Here is a picture:

J!

Marbles

« Reply #44 on: 7 Jun 2003, 08:11 pm »
What's the turntable?

J Harris

« Reply #45 on: 7 Jun 2003, 08:27 pm »
Acoustic Solid One, mounts up to 3 arms, German-made.

You can check out their website (all in German, unfortunately), at the URL below. They do not have US distribution, but the products are available from Orpheus Audio in the UK and PhonoPhono in Germany (that's where I got mine).

http://www.acoustic-solid.de/html/one.html

I have upgraded the motor to a heavy-duty DC unit from Redpoint Audio, run by Peter Clark and Thom Mackris (who were part of the original Teres project with Chris Brady).

It's a lovely, flexible turntable. I currently have a Graham 2.2 mounted on it as well as the Ortofon RS-212. I also have an Origin Live/Rega RB250, currently dismounted because it needs to be rewired. But I'm thinking of mounting a second RS-212 (which I have lying around, needs some work) so I can put on the heavy-duty Denon DL-102 mono cart. Should be interesting if I ever get around to it!

Best
J!

Marbles

« Reply #46 on: 7 Jun 2003, 09:53 pm »
Thanks, it's very nice looking.  My first reaction was: Is that a Redpoint? then my second was nope....

Anyway it IS very nice looking.  I hope you are enjoying your vinyl (and it looks like you have plenty from the racks in back of your speakers!!!) as much as I am enjoying mine.

I bought my table from Chris Brady at the Midwest Audiofest, where I also met Thom Mackris and saw the Redpoint.

J Harris

« Reply #47 on: 7 Jun 2003, 11:34 pm »
Hey Marbles...

I'm curious... did you compare the Teres to the Redpoint directly, and what did you observe soundwise? Any particular reason why you went for the Teres over the Redpoint?

The Redpoint motor is such a major upgrade to the Acoustic Solid AC motor that I've considered moving to a Redpoint TT... the downside being that I firmly believe in the necessity for multiple armboards, and I've invested in a variety of different armboards already for the AS.

The Teres sure is one of the most beautiful TTs I've ever seen... in all its various configurations. That means a lot to me too. I love beautiful craftsmanship. Nothing against Redpoint, who have industrial style in spades, but the Teres is unique particularly in the wood options.

J!

Marbles

« Reply #48 on: 8 Jun 2003, 01:33 am »
I did not compare them in the same system at the same time.  I had made the decision to buy the Teres before the Midwest Audiofest based mostly on feedback from AA members and responses on the Vinyl asylum by Chris Brady and Thom Mackris.

I asked Chris to bring the table to the MAF so I could pick it up there, and also I had Klaus Bunge of Odyssey bring the cartrigde, a Symphonic Line RG8 to the show and I brought the arm an SME IV.  I wanted Chris to set up the whole system so I wouldn't have to :-)

FWIW, the Redpoint looked less industrial in person than in the pics.

At AA Chris always seemed to handle himself as a gentleman and I don't think I would say the same about Thom.

Both the tables are nice looking (I am partial to the Teres 265, but I have a 255) and sound great.  I don't think you could go wrong with either.  In fact I think that if you bought either table, the ARM/cartridge combo would be much more important.

The Redpoint had a Micro Seiki 505 with Denon 103 that sounded nice, the Teres 265 had a Graham (2.2 I think) with a Benz Ruby 2 that sounded nicer to me, but again different systems, different music etc...

J Harris

« Reply #49 on: 8 Jun 2003, 04:34 pm »
We're probably getting way off topic here and should move to another forum... I will say that Thom (and Peter) were unfailingly helpful and polite to me in my decision to buy a motor from them, and helped me figure out the custom height needed for the motor pod in painstaking detail. Both were immediately available via email for any questions that I had.

It seems that they have parted ways now, sadly, and Thom is continuing at least part of the Redpoint project under the name Galibier.

J!

Marbles

« Reply #50 on: 8 Jun 2003, 05:45 pm »
Thanks for the update.  I was unaware of the breakup and Galibier.