Midwest Audio Fest, once again

Wayne1

« on: 8 Apr 2003, 03:04 pm »
I am finally getting all the gear together and will be loading up the van today to head out to Ohio.

Mike Galusha and Jason Wong will be coming along for the ride.

Tyson has to attend his Grandfather's 80th birthday in Texas, so he will miss this get together.

The BOLDER Cable Company will be closed starting tomorrow, April 9th through April 14th. I will do my best to answer any e-mails that have piled up as soon as we return.

As a little preview, here is a picture of one of the 626R's that will be in our suite. :D

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2003, 04:06 pm »
Thanks for the photo Wayne!  That is the first time I got a good look at the FST tweeter.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2003, 04:06 pm »
oops dp... :oops:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2003, 04:38 pm »
I got a chance to hear the new tweeter'd 626R this past week.  Very nice.  IMO, a very worthwhile upgrade (mine should be here this week, hopefully).

As I suspected, the lower crossover point between the tweeter and mid panel does give better off axis sound.  The sweet spot is still small from an imaging standpoint, but it much, much wider from a correct tonal balance standpoint.  The mid panes also sound like they are working less hard, giving an overall more effortless sound.  As to the sound of the tweeter itself, sweet is the word.  Should make finding and amp to match up with the speakers well a lot easier.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2003, 04:45 pm »

Here is a little better shot of the other 626R.

The FST tweeter IS sweeter than the sprial ribbon, without a doubt.

I am sorry, but I did not have the time to rewire these speakers or add the Bybees. I just received them a week ago and I was more concerned with getting them fully broken in.

This pair, that will be playing in Lima, have Auricaps, Soundcoat, full wrap dark oak veneer, and the FST. Suggested Retail for this pair is $2900.00 plus shipping.

I will be offering discounts for show attendees :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2003, 06:35 pm »
wayne, when ya say ya dint have time to re-wire these, does this mean that they're still crossed over at ~10khz, vs the 7khz that the fst tweet allows for? (and which means tyson is imagining things?   :lol: )

re: off-axis imaging, personally, i'd be more interested in how the tonal balance is affected when standing up, vs sitting down...

looking forward to hearing folks' comments about these.

regards to all,

doug s.

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2003, 06:42 pm »
Wayne is referring to the fact that he wanted to put in the Nitro speaker wire inside the speakers, and some Bybee's as well, he was not referring to the crossover adjustment (which has been done by Brian at the factory - this isn't a retrofit, it's a pair made with the FST tweeter installed at the factory).

On the other point, the standing up/sitting down issues are still there, at least to my ears.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2003, 06:49 pm »
hi tyson,

thanks for the clarification.  now, any comments on how the sound changes when ya stand up?  these, along w/the gr-research diluceo's, seem to be on my present short-list.

regards,

doug s.

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2003, 06:52 pm »
The highs pretty much attenuate (they don't dissapear, but they are softer).  I'd imagine that anything using a ribbon tweeter is going to have the same issues. . . Unless the ribbon tweeter was 60" long or something like that, a line source, in other words. . .

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2003, 07:31 pm »
Doug,

The vertical dispertion is about the same as the spiral. I was playing pink noise for most of last week to finish breaking these in. There were differences in the sound when I was standing vs when I was sitting. It really doesn't mean anything to me. I do think the differences have been exaggerated. I feel that the sound of the 626R, when you are out of the sweet spot, is better than most other speakers when you are in their sweet spot :) . When you sit down, with the 626R, that is when the true magic happens.

Come to Lima and hear them for yourself 8)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2003, 07:52 pm »
wayne & tyson, thanks for the feedback.   re: the changing sonics when standing, i am sure i could live w/it - i'd yust have to get used to a slight *decrease* in treble response, as opposed to the slight *increase* i now get, w/my inwerted-dome tweets!   :wink:

unfortunately i won't be able to drive the 450 or so miles necessary to check out lima oh, but someday, i will hear these babies!   :wink:   i just wish a fully-loaded pair retailed for ~$2k, instead of ~$3600...  

regards,

doug s.
(edited for typo)