Clari-T at low volume

Kwerty

Clari-T at low volume
« on: 5 Jul 2005, 02:09 am »
Hi all,

I've been watching/lurking with interest for a while... but I haven't really seen anyone discuss how the Clari-T sounds at low volumes, which is something I care about.  The reviews on Positive Feedback were mixed on this issue (one saying it sounds a flat at low volumes; the other highly recommending this amp for listening at very low levels).  So I'd really like to get some feedback from people who have used the amp for a while - does it sound good (retain its magic) at low levels?  Is it dynamic or is it lifeless?  (And what kind of speakers are you using?)

And on a more techincal note (I'm sure Vinnie can answer this one), can the Monica II drive the Clari-T to full output?

Thanks in advance,
Kwerty

toxteth ogrady

Clari-T at low volume
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2005, 03:54 am »
I have a stock Clari-T running straight from the source. My experience is that the amp sounds much better at higher listening levels, but this has been the case with every solid state amp I've ever used. Tubes have always been more satisfying at lower listening levels (late night listening)... again this is my experience. I suspect a tubed pre + Clari-T would be pretty nice, but I won't be able to confirm until my tubed pre arrives.

RoadTripper

What's low
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2005, 04:27 am »
I listen at low volumes all the time - but, for me, low volume means below 85 dB. What is low for you?

I think it sounds great at up to 85 dB. Of course, there is uncharted territory much above that.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Clari-T at low volume
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2005, 10:45 am »
IMO this is more an issue with speakers than amps.  I also rarely get above 85 dB, in fact Sunday I was listening in the morning before the kids got up at very low levels.  Either the amp, speakers, or my ears warmed up nicely in a few minutes to this exercise in fustration.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-T at low volume
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2005, 11:47 am »
Quote from: Kwerty
And on a more techincal note (I'm sure Vinnie can answer this one), can the Monica II drive the Clari-T to full output?...

Hi Kwerty,

I see this is your first post...welcome to Audiocircle!

Yes, the Monica II can drive the Clari-T to full output in terms of max output voltage, but keep in mind that some recordings will never allow the dac to output it's max voltage, and music usually isn't recorded all at max output voltage.  

Will you get enough volume out of a Monica II + Clari-T combo?  This depends on the sensitivity of your speakers, listening room, listening habits, etc.  

Regards,

Kwerty

Clari-T at low volume
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2005, 04:41 am »
Thanks for the welcome and quick responses!

Based on the comments in this thread, it seems like the low level capabilities of the Clari-T are similar to a good class AB amp (but possibly not as good a tube or class A amp).

As for what low is, unfortunately, I don't have a firm answer (no SPL meter).  My intended use of the system would be with my computer, which means I would also be very close to the speakers.  So given how sound levels fall off with distance, at a "normal" volume for me, the speakers would be playing much quieter than in a different system, where the listener is further away from the speakers.

I was hoping to use single-driver monitors (e.g., Omega Grande 6/8).  This would avoid difficulties with a more conventional speaker, where sound from the woofer and tweeter might not have room to gel.

Any comments on my plans?  I think a battery-powered DAC will be perfect for minimizing noise from my source (the computer), hence my interest in the Monica II.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Clari-T at low volume
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2005, 10:36 am »
Sounds like a plan.  I agree completely regardingthe problem of blending woofer/tweeter nearfield.  Vinnie can customize the input sensitivity so that the volume control is in a more workable range for you.  You're probably right regarding low volume performance, but if your price range is under $1000 USD, nothing under 10 wpc will touch the Clari-T IMO.  I've heard several SETs and none have the bass output, push pull tubes have loose/undampened bass, and Class A solid state start at $1300 (Cayin 265 and it's huge/hot).

BTW, most audiophiles I know keep it under 85 dB on average, so with the Omega speakers you'd be averaging less than 0.1 wpc RMS.  The killer is in the volume peaks.  Live classical peaks can (very rarely) hit 105 dB, jazz about 100 dB, rock around 110 dB.  A 6 wpc amp (Clari-T) adds 8 dB of gain, nearfield stereo adds 3 dB, extreme nearfield stereo(computer monitors) can add 6 dB, large room stereo (greater than 3,000 cu. ft) cost 3 dB.  (Stereo by itself adds 3 dB.)  You can do the math.

Note that the Grande 6/8 have a warmer/slower presentation than the Omega "3" series and wouldn't seem to blend as well with a sub.  Except for the original TS3, none are "mini" monitors. Don't know about the newer offerings.  I for one am a big single driver fan, but have reservations regarding whizzer cones, like the Grande 6/8 use.  Have you considered the Clari-T/Mini-Me combo?

Public service announcement:

Extended exposure to 85 dB or higher sound pressure levels will result in permanent hearing loss and possible permanent pain.