AKSA Nomenclature

Seano

AKSA Nomenclature
« on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:38 pm »
I love that word. Nomenclature. Try saying that ten times in a row.

Some days back a gave Hugh a mild rebuke about the naming of the GK-1 and all it's variants. My suggestion at the time was that perhaps GK-1, GK-2 and GK-3 would be more appropriate but now that seems a little lame too. Especially since they are all variants of the same thing.

So here's another thought that's probably more in step with modern naming conventions.  How about GK-1.1 for the basic pre-amp, GK-1.2 for the multi input pre and GK-1.3 for the bells and whistles pre?

As for the proposed DAC I did like the another poster's suggestion of AKSADAC.

As for the possible HT amp, how about the AKSAv? Or does that sound more like takeaway food?

Any further suggestions?

JohnR

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:54 pm »
AKKADACCA?  :|

JoshK

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2003, 12:43 am »
John,

Is that like AbbraKKADACCA?

EchiDna

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2003, 04:32 am »
Quote from: JoshK
John,

Is that like AbbraKKADACCA?

nah AKKADACCA is the Aussie term for the band 'AC-DC'

I should also mention that the GK-1.1 etc nomenclature makes sense...

*sigh* nomenclature... that term takes me back to when I worked as a taxonomist... long hours staring down a microscope...

AKSA

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2003, 08:01 am »
Hey you lot,

And how about DACSA?

Hugh

EchiDna

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2003, 10:16 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Hey you lot,

And how about DACSA?

Hugh

I prefer AKDAC - Aspen Kitset DAC

therefore possible Aspen system:

Transport -> AKDAC -> GK-3 -> AKSA -> AKSonic...

all joined up with AKIC's and AKSC's  :lol:

Hugh, the 'GK' sorta doesn't work does it ??? maybe calling it AKPA? - ie Aspen Kitset Pre Amplifier...

just tossing around ideas on your behalf ;-)

JohnR

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2003, 10:25 am »
"DAC in Black"

Raj

dacsa
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2003, 09:19 pm »
Hi,

I think dacsa seems like the best option so far....  Anything silly will compromise the impression new Aksaphiles will get when first considering the kit. A sensible almost 'high-end' name is required to help Hugh with his marketing, this is Hugh's living remember, a well named product helps to sell itself.  Hugh I'd definatley say go with dacsa (spelt this way), it seems to have the right vibes.... Of course in truth the decision is all yours.

Thanks
Raj

Carlman

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2003, 03:21 am »
I think "DACSA" is the obvious choice.......
Now where I have heard this before.... hmm... maybe, me? ;)here.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1909
:) :)

I like the GK-1.x naming.  It sounds modern and works with versioning of future pre-amps.  So, if you come out with a new pre-amp that bests the GK-1 design, you've got GK-2, GK-2.1, etc.  Consistency is good.  I'd give the DACSA a number, too.  DACSA 1, DACSA 1.1, etc. to keep up with software/hardware changes down the road.  It's not perfect but, it will make it easier to review products down the road.... ;)  (Something I still need to do with my AKSA 100-N)

I think if the DAC has a unique technology, using that in the name would be kind of goofy and dated.  They did that in the 80's.  Please don't call it 'the DACSAbit' or similar.

That's all 2 cents I have.....

JohnR

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2003, 01:40 pm »
My second AC-DC joke fell on deaf ears.. :(

:-P

As a recently retired professional programmer, I think the ".1" etc nomenclature sounds rather too much like software. Instead, I think Hugh should name his products after types of pasta. The "Linguini" (preamp), the "Tortellini" (loudspeaker), the "Tagliatelle" (DAC), and so on. I will have to rename my pair of amps to "Capelli" and "D'Angelo." The various options and upgrades can be named after sauces, so you will be able to order "Linguini Marinara," "Linguini Alfredo," or "Linguini Arrabiata," according to your taste and budget. Interconnects and cables are named after wines, so you can have "Campari" before your Linguini and "Montepulciano d'Abruzzo" afterwards.

Carlman

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2003, 03:50 pm »
:stupid:

GREAT idea.  Forget everything I've said.  Just think of all the adjectives and eloquent analogies when combining Italian food, wine, and audio.

Also, instead of a shootout we could have the 'Iron Audiophile'....  :lol:

U4EA

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2003, 05:50 pm »
John

I got the AC/DC reference.  Just forgot to laugh :lol: !
Now just don't start describing equipment as having "Big Balls".

JoshK

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2003, 09:16 pm »
AKSA power cleaner = "DDDDC"  (dirty deeds done dirt cheap)

bubba966

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2003, 11:06 pm »

:rotflmao:

I like the DACSA name.

And the GK-1.1/1.2/1.3 seems perfectly logical to me.

U4EA

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2003, 11:25 pm »

Nice :D

If Hugh ever builds a sub it would have to be the AKYSMANL...You Shook Me All Night Long.

Just rememeber...John R started it!!!!!

Seano

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2003, 11:29 pm »
Quote from: JohnR

Don't worry! I laughed loudly. I laughed even louder for the proposed power filter name.  What on earth is it about you lot and AC/DC (although admittedly the AKSA name does lend itself to this)?

How many of you will admit to owning an AC/DC album in any format?

I'll fess up and admit to two albums. "The Razor's Edge" and "Live".  And the track 'Thunderstruck' sounds absolutely massive with the AKSA.

Between Italian food and AC/DC I'd say Hugh has all the choice in the world for names in the future.

Incidentally, my vote is for AKADAC.

EchiDna

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2003, 11:35 pm »

:-P

As a recently retired professional programmer, I think the ".1" etc nomenclature sounds rather too much like software. Instead, I think Hugh should name his products after types of pasta. The "Linguini" (preamp), the "Tortellini" (loudspeaker), the "Tagliatelle" (DAC), and so on. I will have to rename my pair of amps to "Capelli" and "D'Angelo." The various options and upgrades can be named after sauces, so you will be able to order "Linguini Marinara," "Linguini Alfredo," or "Linguini Arrabiata," according to your taste and budget. Interconnects and cables are named after wines, so you can have "Campari" before your Linguini and "Montepulciano d'Abruzzo" afterwards.

I love the concept ;-)

but only one problem... coming from Melbourne, Italian food is so cheap, so good and so 'everyday' that it sort of cheapens the AKSA image IMHO

but then again, that could be used to describe the AKSA's, cheap yet great and so cheap you can enjoy them everyday ;-)

*sigh* I wanna go home to AU$6 pizzas and AU$7-8 pastas...  :bawl:

JohnR

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2003, 03:27 am »
You can buy pasta for $7 in Melbourne?? Maybe I've moved to the wrong city  :o

I'm expecting to land a high-powered marketing job any day now.

I helped my sister look for a band for her wedding. One of them we went to see, we walked in and they were playing "a long way to the top." I guess that's what started this. We didn't hire them.

I'm actually not an AC-DC fan at all :-)

EchiDna

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2003, 11:27 pm »
You can buy pasta for $7 in Melbourne?? Maybe I've moved to the wrong city  :o

I'm expecting to land a high-powered marketing job any day now.

I helped my sister look for a band for her wedding. One of them we went to see, we walked in and they were playing "a long way to the top." I guess that's what started this. We didn't hire them.

I'm actually not an AC-DC fan at all :-)

you bet you can get pasta for $7... there is even all you can eat pasta for $12 in some places ;-)  and this aint crappy quality, cheap stuff, it's fresh pasta and good quality sauces, not the best available, but what do you expect for so little? There is just so many Italian restraunts the market is saturated ;-)
So whatcha gonna market? high powered jobs are pretty thin on the ground in Oz... the market is too damn small! that's why I'm in Singapore...

Raj

AKSA Nomenclature
« Reply #19 on: 12 Apr 2003, 05:39 pm »
Hi,

What about a name for the possible hybrid amp? This things got me even more excited than the dac, looks like Hugh's gonna do something revolutionary in the diy market again, I've mentally pre-ordered mine already (number 1 on wish list)!

Thanks
Raj