Zu Method Sub Review Up On 6moons

jcoat007

NealH

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2005, 12:19 pm »
Appears to be a well rounded and conceived subwoofer.   Those "Druid" speakers look relatively nice too.  However, I just read that review of them and, I am a bit confused.  Does the 10" driver cover the range through 12Khz?  Geesh, I don't see how it's done without beaming issues and the such even with a whizzer cone.  Yet there really was no mention of beaming from what I could tell.  Of course sometimes it is a struggle to maintain focus when reading Srajan's articles because they wander too much.  Decent looking speakers though.  And, a 60-day trial policy certainly says a lot about the confidence of the manufacturer.

jcoat007

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2005, 01:04 pm »
Just a few snippets from the Druid review:

However, there are no nasties to endure, no Lowther shout, no horn honk, no metal-cone breakups.

Yes, the Druid too cottons to valves but it's equally happy with high-power high-current transistors and won't retaliate with bleaching or whitening out the sound. And unlike true single-driver designs that simply cannot hope to reach as high as a good conventional tweeter, the Druid doesn't demand that you add one of the available so-called super tweeters. It provides its very own solely for upper harmonic reinforcement above 12kHz.

It means the main crossover-less driver -- direct-coupled to your amplifier's outputs in other words --covers 40Hz to 12kHz. That's colossal bandwidth. It's at the very heart of why the Druid is special. That and the 101dB sensitivity arrived at without hornloading.

The Druid always remains entirely non-fatiguing to accommodate even marathon listening sessions like that distant day in your youth when you snuck from one movie to the next in your local multiplex until you were so overloaded that you didn't remember what the first flick was you'd seen. This aspect reconfirms the complete and utter absence of peakiness and glare.

miklorsmith

Beam
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2005, 02:28 pm »
The Druids are more focused in the sweet spot, but they sound terrific off-axis too.  Their merits have been observed numerous places in different threads.

Man - that sub sounds killer!  And, a perfect blend for the tallboys.  Pencil that one into the upgrade path!

hum4god

subs 4 druids
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2005, 12:39 am »
hi
does anybody use subs with their druids and is there a good alterenative to the method?
i would prefer to run stereo subs and with the method that would be overkill.
any suggestions?
perhaps there is a diy eminence sub that i don't know of that would be fast enough and go low enough to match the druids??
does anybody have experience with the method if not placed in the center?
seems like srajan didn't have any problems placing it sideways.the best thing would be to get the definitions but...
thanks

ton1313

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:44 pm »
hum,

When I was running my Druids, I had 3 different subs in the system at different times. A Klipsch, A Valodyne, & Zu's first sub that they had at CES in 2001.

Each one was better than the last, but they all added the the low bass, by themselves, without too much localization. The Klipsch was the poorest, & the Zu sub just dissapeared. I think that if you get one quality sub, you could for go a pair of stereo subs.

The Zu sub I have is only a single 15, but it is the cleanest & fastest sub I have heard. If the Method follows suite, it should be an amazing performer.

Todd

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: subs 4 druids
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2005, 11:33 pm »
Quote from: hum4god
hi
does anybody use subs with their druids and is there a good alterenative to the method?
i would prefer to run stereo subs and with the method that would be overkill.
any suggestions?
perhaps there is a diy eminence sub that i don't know of that would be fast enough and go low enough to match the druids??
does anybody have experience with the method if not placed in the center?
seems like srajan didn't have any problems placing it sideways.the best thing would be to get the definitions but...
thanks

jeez, for $2500, ya could go w/a pair of vmps larger subs, and a better amp & outboard x-over, than what could possibly stuck inside the zu method.  this would also offer the adwantage of low-passing the druid at ~50hz or so.  i cannot imagine how this set-up wouldn't be better than a single method sub.

in fact, i had this exact set-up paired w/an older pair of zu druid monitors.  :wink:  wery nice, but the monitors were lacking in detail compared to other speakers i like.  but, they still ended up permanently installed in the mondo kitchen, where w/a single definitive technology sub, they do far better than the thiel 3.5's that were in there.  at 99db/1w/1m, the druid monitors can really get loud in the huge room, w/o strain - something the thiel 3.5's could never really muster.  and, since no critical listening is going on there, the druid monitors are perfect.

some day, i will have to hear a pair of the latest druid floorstanders.  if they addressed the issues i had w/lack of detail, they will be killer.  from all the ink being spilled about 'em, it seems that is likely...  :)

doug s.

ton1313

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2005, 01:06 am »
Hum,

PS. If you are thinking about stereo subs, save your money & buy the Zu Definitions. They are the best I have heard by far, under $20K.

Later

hum4god

subs for druids
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2005, 01:40 am »
another option i was just thinking about is the magellan bass
this would be great: not too big and possible to get two for stereo.
check out srajans review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/vbt/magellan8.html

did anybody try these subs???

ton1313

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2005, 11:13 am »
Send Srajan an email with your thoughts, and ask his opinion. He has heard both and is currently using a single Zu Method. He will be the best to let you know if the Magellan's would mate well with the Druids.