Odyssey Subwoofer

mca

Odyssey Subwoofer
« on: 1 Jul 2005, 02:41 am »
Thought I read somewhere that Odyssey had a sub coming out. Anyone know anything?

jcoat007

Odyssey Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2005, 01:07 pm »
I have one.  I think there are only a couple of them built so far.

mca

Odyssey Subwoofer
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2005, 02:53 pm »
Can you share any details?

jcoat007

Odyssey Subwoofer
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2005, 08:45 pm »
This is a solid and heavy sub, that takes up very little space but packs a pretty good whallup.  There is a 12" front firing driver and a 12" passive radiator on the bottom.  

There is a 300 watt plate amp on the back with an on/off/auto detect switch.  There is a left/right line level and speaker input and output.  There is also a phase switch with either 0 or 180 degree options.  

On the front there are two dials, one for volume and one for crossover frequency.  Both can be controlled with a remote control which is included, and is a very nice feature.  

After a good dose of break-in, and careful level setup through my HT receiver, this sub really shines.  It is very powerful and at times I feel like floor tiles could start breaking loose during action scenes in movies.  I have the cossover set at the lowest setting (40Hz) and the volume knob at about 9 o'clock.  Volume starts at 7 o'clock, so I am not even closed to maxing this baby out.  

For music I do not typically use the sub as the Loreleis have more than adequate bass.  However, we did have a party recently, and we were listening to some bass heavy party tunes.  I turned the sub on and increased the volume to about 11 or 12 o'clock.  That extra depth gave the music just enough extra impact to keep the party really pumping and the good looking women getting their groove on.  The remote really comes in handy for adjusting volume from the listening position or anywhere in the room that you find yourself.  

As you can see, I have Odyssey Lorelei mains, Nemesis CC and an Odyssey sub.  For music and movies, this setup really rocks.  

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=4385'>

mca

Odyssey Subwoofer
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2005, 11:55 pm »
Thanks for the added info! I should have my Odyssey setup in about a week or so and can't wait. How do you like the Nemesis CC? I was worried that it might to too small to keep up with the rest of the speakers, but Klause said it sounds much larger than it looks.

Next time I talk to him, I'll have to ask him the particulars on the sub. Release date, cost and etc.