GK-1 Tube Selection

Carlman

GK-1 Tube Selection
« on: 7 Apr 2003, 07:02 pm »
I've recently embarked on a tube hunt for my current pre-amp.  I was wondering if tube selection was as important on the hybrid GK-1 as it was on an all-tube pre-amp.

I have 4 tubes for my pre, L&R phono and L&R high level inputs.  From what I've seen, the GK-1 has 2 and the phono is an integrated circuit?  Does the signal path of the phono go through the tubes?

In any case, just trying to learn more of the selection process for tubes on the GK-1.  Also, what size are they?

-Carl

AKSA

GK-1 Tube Selection
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2003, 09:38 pm »
Hi Carl,

Yes, the GK-1 uses just two tubes, 6ES8/CV5331, one for each channel.

The phono option (NOT standard;  this is an additional $AUD210) is indeed IC-based.  It uses active/passive split RIAA equalization, discrete power regulation, and a trick feedback network.  It takes a MM output (typically 5mV) and amplifies it to about 1Vpp then passes it via the switching to the tube.  So, yes, the phono also passes the signal through the tube.

I would NEVER pass up the opportunity of routing ALL signals through the tube!  If you've got it, flaunt it!

BTW, about to pick up the prototype relay pcb for the remote Option 3, and once quickly assembled and tested, start the production run.  Once complete, the GK-1 Option 3 (or is that GK-3??) will be in the market, behind schedule, but man, what an implementation.  It's just marvellous;  I'm delighted with it!  And the Option 3 input/switching pcb is very, very good - a wonderful outcome which took a long time to get right.

Cheers,

Hugh

Carlman

GK-1 Tube Selection
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:44 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer... and glad to know that the phono is routed through the tubes... whew!

I'm more specifically interested in the effect the tube choice has on sound quality.  i.e. Bugle Boys are lively and have lots of air... Sylvania's are a bit more dark... etc.

What brand of tubes does it come with?

And now, that you mention the PCB/switching is better on the GK-3, does that mean the GK-2 isn't as good?  :P   I don't mind getting up and turning a volume knob... but, I want the good stuff.  :mrgreen:

-Carl