Land of The Dead

DeadFish

Land of The Dead
« on: 24 Jun 2005, 09:43 pm »
Hubba-hubba!

If, like me, you saw the first 'Night of The Living Dead' in b&w oh so long ago, and caught a glimpse of the bizarre pallette George Romero was going to use for social commentary, humor and even horror and *liked it*, then I recommend this film.
I still describe Romero's Dawn of the Dead as on of my top movies of all time, especially from an artful standpoint and it's place in time, but that's just me.  :wink:
Anyway, based on this morning's 'thumbs up' review in the NYTimes, I caught the openning show before I could 'hear' anything about it, and had a good time.    I'd have gone anyway, but probably would have 'spaced out' that it was released.  :)
Typically, you'll get a revisit to the world where the dead walk their walk, like they did in their lives, unless a warm meal walks by.
Again, it is a story of survival and survivors and a twisted vision of who the dead are who walk among us.  Some of it funny, some of it thought provoking.
If you've been a fan of the 4 films of Romero and perhaps the two remakes of two of them, then check this puppy out.  There are a few scenic gifts for you'se guys as a "tip o' the hat" to the former films.  I'm pleased to have seen at this end of my life, Romero's work come to a sort of fruition, and not to have lost him as some sort of roadkill before he got his movies made.
I really don't want to talk about details at this point in the commentary (if there is to be any) to afford you the same pleasure of discovering it for yourselves.
I'm not necessarilly a 'horror-at-any-cost' fan, having seen only one Halloween film, and virtually no 'slasher' flix.  I did have fun with comical riffs of 'Return of the Living Dead' which only bear a similarity of content to Romero rather than art.  If you go, I hope y'all like it.
YMMV

Best Regards,
DeadFish