basis turntable

no capes

basis turntable
« on: 24 Jun 2005, 04:08 am »
Hi All

I did a search on the word basis to learn as much as I could, but I still have some questions.  Just hoping someone in this forum call help.

I am considering the purchase of a basis 1400 signature turntable.  Has anyone here imported one of these?  Are you happy with the product and the service?  Might it be better value to buy something already available in Australia?

I currently have a cheap project turntable and am looking for something better.  I would like something quite good that I do not want to update in a year or two, you know, a keeper.

Thanks in advance

Rocket

basis turntable
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:21 am »
Hi,

I haven't heard a basis turntable but they appear to get good reviews.  Almost 2 years ago i imported a bluenote piccolo turntable which included a cheap cartridge.  In total it cost me about $1400au compared to $2000au it would have cost locally.

Unfortunately in transit the tonearm was damaged and the dealer in singapore replaced the part but it cost me another $100au to get it installed.

The oz dollar is pretty strong these days and it might be worth importing one into australia.  How much cheaper will it cost you?

Regards

Rod

no capes

basis turntable
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:36 am »
Rocket

I think that basis sell direct.  As there is only one source, the price will depend on what can be negotiated.

A major part of my problem is that I have not heard all the turntables that are being compared with the basis.

I have listened to linn, nottingham and vpi offerings, but all at separate times and places.  I thought the linn and vpi tables were good.

I am attracted to the basis because I like the bearing design.  From what I have read, it seems well thought out.  I know that other parts of the package matter.  Right now, I am just hoping to get a number of opinions.

By the way, how is the bluenote working out?  How did you decide on which table to buy?

Rocket

basis turntable
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:45 am »
Hi,

The bluenote is working out fine.  In comparsion to the rega 3 the bear and motor seems to be a lot better quality on the bluenote piccolo turntable.

I think it is almost impossible to make any comparisons if you don't have the opportunity to listen to them in your own system.

What is your budget?  What phonostage are you using?  What cartridge do you intend to buy.

I bought a denon dl103 mc cartridge for $200au from a hifi store in perth and it is working out fine.

Regards

Rod

Rocket

basis turntable
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:46 am »
Hi,

The bluenote is working out fine.  In comparsion to the rega 3 the bear and motor seems to be a lot better quality on the bluenote piccolo turntable.

I think it is almost impossible to make any comparisons if you don't have the opportunity to listen to them in your own system.

What is your budget?  What phonostage are you using?  What cartridge do you intend to buy.

I bought a denon dl103 mc cartridge for $200au from a hifi store in perth and it is working out fine.  

I took a leap of faith and bought mine off the internet from a hifi dealer in singapore.  I'm currently considering the bluenote medici phonostage or bel canto phono 1.

Regards

Rod

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: basis turntable
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2005, 01:05 pm »
Quote from: no capes
Hi All

I did a search on the word basis to learn as much as I could, but I still have some questions.  Just hoping someone in this forum call help.

I am considering the purchase of a basis 1400 signature turntable.  Has anyone here imported one of these?  Are you happy with the product and the service?  Might it be better value to buy something already available in Australia?

I currently have a cheap project turntable and am looking for something better.  I would like something  ...

I am not from down there but I do have an old 1400 -- no suspension.  I have an Incognito modded and wired RB250 and Benz Ruby2L on it.  It's a great simple design with very steady and quiet motor.  I like that the motor is detatched and movable. Not only is it isolated but it also allows you to adjust the tension on the belt meaning you don't have to go spend another 40 bucks if belt stretches a bit.  On my system I get very crisp and accurate sound but not fatiquing like some digital system that overemphasizes odd harmonics.  I have compared it with my other TT (DelphiV/SME4/Koetsu) and Basis setup sounds leaner.   I have never used SS phono stage, but I would definitely recommend tube phono stage with the Basis/Benz set up.  

I played around with EAR 834 and Art Audio Vinyl One phono stages and the carts.  Whatever combination, Basis/RB250 gives leaner and seemingly more precise music than the DelphiV/SME4.  Overall, my experience with Basis has been good -- I still have it.  It's my "reference" system for me to listen to a new record.  It tracks well and plays music that is on the record faithfully.  My other set up is more "emotional" and reserved for recordings that I know and like to listen for certain moods.  Basis is a very good TT at it's price point and you better have a pair of good speakers to appreciate what it does well.  I hope this helps but remember I have the non-suspension TT.

Bemopti123

basis turntable
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2005, 01:13 pm »
Woodsyi, do you think that the thinness of the sound has more to do with the renonance of the acrylic material in contrast to other materials used in your Oracle...which might be either MDF or the like?  Maybe some wooden footers would increase the warmth that you might be looking for.  Some modern tubed amplifiers sound more neutral than emotional or tube like in nature.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
basis turntable
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2005, 02:13 pm »
Quote from: Bemopti123
Woodsyi, do you think that the thinness of the sound has more to do with the renonance of the acrylic material in contrast to other materials used in your Oracle...which might be either MDF or the like?  Maybe some wooden footers would increase the warmth that you might be looking for.  Some modern tubed amplifiers sound more neutral than emotional or tube like in nature.

I use the extreme phono non felt mat with the platter.  I may try a isolation platform in the future but I kind of like it this way of having two set ups: one, a very incisive, detailed TT and the other, an evocative (although no less detailed) one.

bacobits1

basis turntable
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2005, 02:41 pm »
The Basis Tables are expensive. I just picked up a used (4 yrs. old) 1400, with a RB300, Michell Techno Weight, and a Benz Glider, Basis clamp, dustcover. I use a Black Cube PWX and currently using my AT OC9 LC  because I wanted a direct comparison to the VPI setup I was using. I'm coming off of a VPI MKIII same arm with Heaveyweight. The 1400 is very easy to set up and it has an extremely solid precision feel to it. It has a huge bearing and a great motor. The motor is very quiet, hi torque and starts, stops immediately. In combination with the big Basis clamp this setup sounds very detailed. This being one of the biggest differences to the VPI more detail. PRAT is very good with dynamics on vinyl compared to CD/SACD. I am hearing more things than before and in a great sound stage. The VPI is a warmer sounding table. I am upstairs on suspended wood floors and I do not have any isolation problems with the Basis. It is placed on a heavy 2" solid Oak board woth large Sorbothane pucks under. I do not have any static problems that might have been mentioned when removing the record. The Basis, as does the VPI has a ground wire coming off of the bearing. I got the VTA set up on this table  in record time at least for me, in one hour!NO more messiing around. I do have an Incognito Wire setup ordered but I don't want to adjust a thing right now since everything sounds so damn good. I highly recommend the Basis 1400 with the Basis Clamp.

I hope this helps a bit. It is a great table.

My set up is in the Gallery.  

Galen Carol from Texas is a dealer for Basis. I don't know if Basis sells direct. Their site is kind of sparse on details. I would E Mail (basis@aol.com) A. J. Conti at Basis for more details. He answers right away.

Den

woodsyi

• Volunteer
basis turntable
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2005, 02:51 pm »
Yep,

Basis Clamp is excellent -- much better than Oracle thread job.

bacobits1

basis turntable
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2005, 03:01 pm »
That sucker is expensive ($250). It's good I got the whole setup together.
The old Orsonic/Monster clamp was very silmilar with a push button in its workings but not machined as precision or as nice looking as the Basis clamp.

Den