Movie drought?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Movie drought?
« on: 7 Apr 2003, 07:18 am »
Is it my imagination or have the last couple new release Tuesdays been pretty light?  I haven't seen much lately I can't live without.

Mathew_M

Movie drought?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2003, 03:35 pm »

TheeeChosenOne

Movie drought?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2003, 03:56 pm »
Quote from: Mathew_M
Secretary comes out tommorrow.   Not for all tastes but I enjoyed it immensely.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008DDSC/qid=1049729622/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_4/002-7150128-5516005?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

I think most movies that have come out the past 2-3 years are *crap* on average.   There truly has been a real dearth of watchable movies.  Makes me just want to get up and write something decent for crissakes. :roll:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Movie drought?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2003, 04:07 pm »
I'd say that the majority of movies from ANY year are crap, no matter how far you go back in time.  

There will alway be more great movies from the past than there are in the present  :P

TheeeChosenOne

Movie drought?
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2003, 04:33 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
I'd say that the majority of movies from ANY year are crap, no matter how far you go back in time.  

There will alway be more great movies from the past than there are in the present  :P

I agree, but I'm *very* forgiving with crap and always try to find a sunny side to a movie.

But the past 2-3 years' quality has *angered* me b/c the quality has been abyssmally horrible to the point of making me *cringe*!!   :evil:

My yearly movie budget was probably cracking 60 movies a year.  Now it's down to about 10!   :o   It just is not worth taking a risk on this crap.

The heavily marketed "Dreamcatcher" looked good in the previews, so I bit--my mistake!  OMG!!  That was THE BIGGEST POS I have seen in more than a DECADE.  Geez, what are these fat producers thinking?!  I even saw people leaving the theater midway.  I *never* have left a theater even though I had a strong urge with "He-Man" w/ Dolph Lungren, but dang I had THE URGE TO LEAVE on "Dreamcatcher"!  What a POS!

JoshK

Movie drought?
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2003, 05:56 pm »
I thought The Sign was pretty good.  Oops, I mean The Ring  :oops: .....couldn't remember that for the life of me.

bubba966

Re: Movie drought?
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2003, 06:27 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Is it my imagination or have the last couple new release Tuesdays been pretty light?  I haven't seen much lately I can't live without.

It has been a bit lame in the last few weeks. I think the only new release I've picked up has been Femme Fatale. Before that the newest movie I'd picked up was Slap Her She's French (which hasn't been released at all here yet).

Will probably pick up Harry Pothead. And will definitely pick up The Transporter.

But I don't seem to recall anything after The Transporter that I'm looking forward to until May.

Mathew_M

Movie drought?
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2003, 09:53 pm »
Depends on your tastes.  I tend to loathe most Hollywood produced crap.   Though I found this year wasn't so bad.  Spielberg had two pretty good films with Catch Me If You Can and Minority Report.  I thought Gangs of New York was a flawed masterpiece.  About Schmidt was really good but left me a bit empty same with Chicago and The Hours.  The Pianist was probably the best film of the year.  Roman Polanski (say what you will about his personal life) is the greatest working director.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Movie drought?
« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2003, 10:54 pm »
So, Brian, how is Femme Fatale?  I was pretty anxious to get it but BB pissed me off by not running any sale when it was released.  I can't remember the last time I paid $20 for a movie, and I certainly didn't want to blow that much on this one without knowing if it was any good.  Uh, you know, "any good", huh huh, eh he he...

bubba966

Movie drought?
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:01 pm »
So, Brian, how is Femme Fatale?  I was pretty anxious to get it but BB pissed me off by not running any sale when it was released.  I can't remember the last time I paid $20 for a movie, and I certainly didn't want to blow that much on this one without knowing if it was any good.  Uh, you know, "any good", huh huh, eh he he...

I'd say it falls into your "any good" area. I'm not disappointed in the movie (now that I've seen it twice), but the extras suck...

TheeeChosenOne

Movie drought?
« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:05 pm »
FF was crap.  My wife and I turned the DVD off in the middle.  
It has a Hitchockian element with *implausible* scenarios out of the realm of possibility.  In this regard, the movie tries to pass itself as as serious rather than as a farce.  In a farcical style, the movie would be more enjoyable.  

It's only a rental at best, but not as a purchase.

Depalma hasn't made a decent flick since BodyDouble IMHO.  He is a tremendously overrated Director.

I'm going to try to finish the last half of the st*pid movie tonite after the NCAA Finals.

WorldWind

• http://www.bobsbrain.com
Movie drought?
« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:07 pm »
When things are weak like this it just gives me a chance to pick up movies from my wish list.
October Sky
Kansas City
Playing by Hart
Tiger Bay

Were my latest.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Movie drought?
« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:07 pm »
Okay the plot and story might suck, but that's not everything, you know.  Not in a movie starring Rebecca Romaijn. :wink:

TheeeChosenOne

Movie drought?
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:09 pm »
Okay the plot and story might suck, but that's not everything, you know.  Not in a movie starring Rebecca Romaijn. :wink:

You'll only get a side or quarter shot of her assets--at least in the first half of what I've watched.

bubba966

Movie drought?
« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2003, 12:48 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne

You'll only get a side or quarter shot of her assets--at least in the first half of what I've watched.

You shoulda watched it through. There's more of Rebecca to be seen later on in the film.

And it's not so bad if you watch the entire movie. I missed a good sized chunk of the beginning in the theater. Only thought it to be so-so then. After watching the entire thing through I enjoyed it a bit more.

Mathew_M

Movie drought?
« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2003, 12:50 am »
Femme Fatale was a mess.  The opening 15 minutes are pretty jazzy but from there on it's headache inducing.  DePalma has a way of disorienting the viewer with style and extraneous plot and offers little of substance in return.  I left the theater pretty unsatisfied.