Loreleis Review...darm good speakers..

Whitese

« on: 20 Jun 2005, 10:06 pm »
Well, I have had the Loreleis for about 4 weeks now I think.   The system is a David Berning TF-10 tube hybrid preamp, Berning EA-230 triode (30 watts/ch), Parasound CDP-2000 CD player, and VPI Scout with Dynavector 20X-H cart..cables are a mix ( Grover Huffman IC's (from the Steve Hoffman web site), Vampire Wire copper, speaker wire is Grover's and sometimes DH Labs hybrid.

Music listened to varied from Richard Thompson ( a lot ), chamber classical, viola, solo guitar, Chet Atkins, Steve Howe and stuff...

First impression was one of smoothness,,I am very familiar with the drivers used, as I had the same setup for years in my car system with a tubed x-over..Its kind of amusing to hear so much bass just from a 7" driver. The cabs are heavy and very inert.  If you have children around, watchout as they are easy to tip.

Throughout the frequency range teh presentation is very balanced, you dont feel that there is a recessed or upfront bias in any way.

The dynamics are phenomenal, and the louder you listen to them, teh more lively they get...With my amp, they sounded better kind of loud than low volume.

I think its main benefit is in acoustical music. the sense of emotion and ambient info is very engaging...

More later...baby crying!  darn it..LOL

Whitese

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2005, 02:31 am »
Well, I added Brian Bromberg's Wood CD all acoustic bass, and drummer Akira Jimbo with Brian Bromberg  on a CD that has some of the best recorded drums..Akira has a very tight skinned drum kit, and the snare is just fantastic thru the Loreleis...

In some instances I can hear the decay in the snare whack!...u know,,you have the initial impact and the change of pitch as the vibrations thru the kit lose energy,,,its quite subtle, but I never noticed it before..
Also, a great CD I tested then with was YES's The Ladder...tremendous production by the late Bruce Fairburn (canada)..one of the cleanest, most dynamic and yet smooth and relaxed rock CD's I heard.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2005, 07:11 pm »
whitese, i know someone that may be interested in yer berning amp, if ya ever consider selling...

doug s.

Whitese

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2005, 04:45 pm »
I will keep your friend in mind....but I think the sucker is staying close to home... :wink: