A Tuning Visit from Big B and Shirley

Corbin Johnson

« on: 19 Jun 2005, 10:18 pm »
I had the pleasure of a visit from Big B and his wife Shirley this past Wednesday while they were vacationing in Orlando.  It was a great evening with the opportunity to talk to both of them for a few hours over dinner to hear them recount their years of visiting customers and listening and tuning their systems and then have the ultimate tuning experience at my house.  I told Brian at dinner that I was pleased with the set up of my RM40’s, but tuning the woofer has been a challenge.  I guess I got the ultimate compliment on tuning when Brian said after hearing the first track from the new Matt Bianco/Basia CD that he wouldn’t change a thing on the 40's.  Shirley thought it was a little bright, so Brian turned down the tweeter pots a click.  I can’t say I noticed the difference, but Shirley did.

Then Brian asked me to turn the sub on.  I told him it was on, but I keep it at a very low volume so it doesn't overpower the room and also doesn't sound off center being on the left side of the room.  He went to work scrapping putty and removed a golf ball size of putty.  I've added quite a bit of putty on my own trying to get the sub to blend in without sounding off center, but I didn't realize that I was going in the wrong direction by adding mass.  We cranked the sub up higher than I can ever recall setting it for stereo.  WOW, window shaking tight bass.  Brian did a little more tuning then said this is where it should be set.  I love it.  The only problem is now I want another one to balance the sound for stereo.

Much thanks to Brian and Shirley for helping me get the most out of their excellent speakers.  I didn’t solicit this visit.  Brian just sent me an Email saying he would be in the area and would I like him to come by.  Hell Yea!  Now that is the ultimate service.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2005, 01:32 am »
I have attended two of Brian's home sessions and they were both quite informative.

This type of service is to be commended and is definitely not the norm.

:beer:

George

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2005, 01:33 am »
Will TUNE VMPS for FOOD :mrgreen:

That's B's motto, and let me assure you it is well worth a Cheesburger or even a PorterHouse :lol:

I know B gets a lot of enjoyment in stopping by and tuning local systems anytime he travels.

A round trip plane ticket and "Lunch or Dinner" will get you the same thing, plus a few tales about Walt Disney in the good old days.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:40 pm »
How about the nation's capital?  I hear there will be a congressional hearing on some low bass induced depression and how to cure it! Wouldn't  big B qualify as an expert witness? :mrgreen:  We have no Disney but have that new Air and Space Museum that houses Enola Gay, SR-71 and other cool things.  Speaking of cool things, it is air conditioned -- a big plus for you west coast weenies who wilt in a typical 90 degree/90% humidity summer day here.  There is that Smithsonian stuff, too, if you want culture.  As for food, I am on doctor's order to eat only fillets (due to one episode with gout).  So, I can only offer Chateaubriand with select bottles of Bordeaux from the famous millenium vintage or the Cabs from the '01 Napa vintage.  There has to be others in this area who would like to get their speakers adjusted and are willing to host.

ScottMayo

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2005, 05:30 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Will TUNE VMPS for FOOD :mrgreen:

That's B's motto, and let me assure you it is well worth a Cheesburger or even a PorterHouse :lol:

I know B gets a lot of enjoyment in stopping by and tuning local systems anytime he travels.

Yo, Brian! I can't offer plane tickets, but anytime you're in the Northeast, I can put you up in a comfy guest room for an overnight, and give you the run of the (aptly named) Soundroom From Hell. Resturaunts are on me. I'm mere days from being up and running.... (I think.....)

It looks like I'll be going for a Larger at some point, and maybe you can talk me into a set of RM-30's for the surround channels - yielding a room full of gleaming black VMPS goodness that should do you proud. :-)

bboplive

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2005, 07:29 pm »
Ditto for WDC.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2005, 08:09 pm »
Sounds like Brian needs to book an East Coast Tour :lol:  :lol:

ScottMayo

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2005, 12:02 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Sounds like Brian needs to book an East Coast Tour :lol:  :lol:

Hey Brian, if you *are* heading out this way, seriously, let me know. If I have an arrival date, I can explain to my general contractor in small words that if he can't get the paint dry on a finished, working room by that date, then I will fire his sorry butt and find other ways to complete on schedule. I just need a tiny excuse to do this anyway - I've got smoke coming out of my ears because of the way this project has dragged on and on.