Rebuilt Maggie IIIA's and Bi-amping

steve k

« on: 18 Jun 2005, 02:01 pm »
Well I just installed the last binding post yesterday on the new outboard crossovers for my Maggies. It's been a long strange trip but with the help of AndyR from down under, Mike D, Scott, Sturg, Alex, and the God of Mod, John Hillig, the project is complete (for now)  :lol:

The journey began with Alex, MIke and my decision to rebuild the external crossovers to our Maggie IIIA's (in Mike's case) and the internal ones in Alex and my case. Mike spent (literally) a weekend on the internet researching the best cap and inductor combinations for the sound we agreed we wanted (a hand for his poor wife Josie here)  :wink:

The consensus seemed to be a Multicap/Auricap combination on the tweeters, an Auricap/Blackgate combo on the mids and a Blackgate VK on Mike's bass and Alpha-Core and Solen foil inductors and Ohmite resistors on the ribbons. The improvements with just these changes included: a more refined sound, better bass control and less "veiling" in the mids that the IIIA's are known for.

To kick things up a notch, I pulled the socks off the Maggies, reglued some panel wires that were beginning to come lose (but surprisingly hadn't effected the sound much before), and rewired all the leads to the drivers. Since all the panel wires are various gauges of magnet wire, it seemed logical to use magnet wire wherever I could in the internal rewiring. So I used 20ga. magnet wire to the ribbons, disconnected the internal crossovers, and wired each driver to it's own binding post so the speakers could be tri-amped if I ever get the itch. I left the fuses on the tweeters and midrange but ditched the tweeter attenuator binding post for the new treble post and replaced all the crappy Maggie connectors with Connex binding posts. They all fit on the rear plate so it made for a nice clean transition.

The outboard crossovers are mounted on Martha "It's a Good Thing" Stewart cutting boards with spiked feet from Madisound and custom smoked plex box covers with Connex binding posts. Martha in stilettos I call them. :o

In the middle of all this a VTL ST-85 power amp came up on Agon at an unreal price so I knew this was a sign from heaven that it had my name on it.  8) The seller was dumping a second system to pay for an engagement ring. His loss was my gain. That was another piece to the puzzle--it drives the highs/mids and my monoblocks drive the bass panels now. With the help of Alex in lending me his vintage Pioneer active crossover, the puzzle was complete. I'm using all 12 ga. magnet wire jumpers between the amps/crossovers and drivers and the Zero Autoformers between the monos and the bass panels. Who needs cable lifters with 12 ga magnet wire? It just sits there in the air!! :mrgreen:

The Sound: All the parts are still breaking in but the difference all this has made in the sound is awesome. The biggest change I've noticed is the instruments are all more articulate now-their individual nuances and timbres are much more minutely resolved and presented. The soundstage is rock solid from left to right. Where I used to hear "holes" in the soundstage, or hear the individual drivers working, now it's a solid, continuous slab of sound that sounds like it's all coming from one source, the stage. The drivers are much better integrated now and the speakers disappear so much better.

I've also opened the room up a bit, moving the couches back further and I spread the maggies apart so the soundstage is much wider now yet with no real gaps or holes in the image.

I may still rewire the external crossovers with 20ga. magnet wire after things break in a bit more and I need to come up with a permanent active crossover solution but right now I'm just soaking up the sounds. Thanks again to the design team, in particular AndyR whom I call "Dr. Magnepan" now. If there is anything that's ever been thought of to mod a pair of IIIA's before, Andy has probably tried it already.  :lol:

steve k

Link to pics:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=235

bmed

PICS!, PICS!, PICS!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2005, 03:17 pm »
Come on now.  Where's the pics?  You just used a lot of big words, I need to put them to pictures for my simple mind.

Cheers,
Brad

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2005, 03:58 pm »
Link to pics is attached to my original post now.
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2005, 08:00 pm »
Excellent  :mrgreen:

So when is the next get together at your place  :o

DeadFish

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2005, 11:35 pm »
8) Groovy :mrgreen:
I know how long you've chased this thing Steve.  Glad it is working out for you so well.
Yeah, when is 'the listen'.  :wink:

Regards,
DF

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2005, 02:00 am »
Hi Steve,
   Although I'm currently using a pair of Fostex 167E in TQWT. I still have a pair of Maggie 1.5 of which I used to have in my system. Yes, I also upgraded the xover with Gortz 12ga inductance and MIT cap. They sound great but have not been connected since I built the TQWT.

My Maggie also have some loose wires of which I reguled them with stronger type ruber cement. Which seem to work fine. But is have been 2 or 3 years now since I took them out of my system I think there are some more loose wires now. :(

So, I see that you reguled your Maggie. I'm wondering what glue you use for this? and Where do  you get them?

Anyway, ever since I fell in love with the Single driver Fostex that I built, I might sell the Maggie soon anyway... right now they are acting as a pretty expensive sound diffuser/absorbent board behind the Fostex TQWT ! :lol: Of cause I'll be honest and let the buyer know about it. Hmmm... wonder how much I could get from them.  :scratch:

Thanks,
Buddy :thumb:

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2005, 02:34 am »
I used Weldwood Contact Cement made by DAP. You can buy it at any Lowe's or Home Depot. To get the best bond, you need to clean the old Miloxane glue off the mylar and wires where they are loose. Use Acetone and a small paint brush and keep flooding the area with Acetone and wiping the goo off with a rag. You'll know when the mylar is clean because it is very shiny like glass.

Once it's all dry, apply a healthy amount of contact cement to the underside of the wires and to the clean mylar below them. Let it dry a half an hour or so (until the contact cement is no longer real tacky) and then I rolled my wires back down with a wallpaper seam roller. I picked this up from a guy on AudioAsylum who did his SMGa's this way and neither of us have had any delamination problems since.

My next project will probably be building a pair of Voigt Pipes with some Radio Shack drivers that a fellow GASser gave me. The more I hear SET/horns, the more I like them. I will probably end up taking that road after my journey with Maggies.

Good luck.
steve k

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2005, 11:46 pm »
Hi Steve,
  Thanks for the tips on reparing Maggies :D But I think I will sell them anyway. I still have to fix them anyway before I sell them. It is about time for me to part with them. They were my first ture Hi-End/Hi-Fidelity speaker... I will never forget them  :cry:

I've never tought that I will go back to  box speaker after using Maggies... until I've heard the first Single driver speaker the RL Acustique (I think) with AER driver.... wow!  I was hooked! :o

I see that you are planing to build a Voigt Pipe with RS driver :D Here is a tip from me... Skip the RS driver and get a pair of of Fostex FE series 4" and larger  :wink: If I had money I would love to get a pair of AER or Lowther drivers to try  :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if you know this site already, but here is very useful link.
http://www.fullrangedriver.com/tiki-page.php?pageName=FullrangeIntro
Here is the old site.. check out the DIY Projects section.
http://melhuish.org/audio/

Oh! If you ever in NYC area. You are welcome to coming over and listen to my system. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

steve k

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2005, 12:15 am »
The fix is easy on the loose wires. It's pulling all the staples to get the socks off that's the bitch. Thanks for the sites. I'll be reading up. We get plenty exposure to SET's horns  with Scott F's Lowther Medallions/2A3 system. We're all  :mrgreen: with jealousy!

Thanks for the listening offer. Same goes if you get to St. Louie--maybe the World SEries this year? :o

I went to college in NYC for awhile (back in the ancient 70's) but haven't been back up that way in quite awhile. Maggies are really nice sound for the dollar. Too bad you never got into they're 3-way systems which are a steal used and great sounding speakers. There's defintetly something really appealing about a single tube driver a single speaker with no crossover in the way though. It'll happen one of these days.  8)

steve k