turntable questions

jcrane

turntable questions
« on: 17 Jun 2005, 11:05 pm »
Now that I have purchased a tube amp, I am thinking of getting a TT. I have never owned a stand alone TT, all mine in the past have been built in to the stereio "rack" system. I am doing my research and I have found two tables that I find appealing, at least visually. They seem to have good comments on the net but was wondering if you guys had any comments on the following two models or any other recommendation in the price range.
Pro ject Debut III muti-color (RED)
Music Hall MMF 2.1 (SE Ferrari Red)
These players are in the 300-400 dollar range and I really don't feel comfortable spending more than this at the moment.

Jamie

Mike D

turntable questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2005, 01:22 am »
I owned the ProJect equivalent to the MMF 2.1 a few years back.  I LOVED it.  It is still running wonderfully at a friend's house who listens to it almost daily.  Judging from the specs and the pictures, all ProJect did is change the name from 2.0 to Debut.  You can not lose with either one.  In fact both tables are almost exactly the same product with identicle motors, bearings, spindles, platters, tonearms, mountings, counterweights, and frame works... and cover, and cover hinges, and power switches, etc.  No kidding.  One uses a goldring Elan cartridge and another uses and Ortofon OM-5E cartridge.  Check them both out at www.needledoctor.com

electricbear

re-project
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2005, 03:13 pm »
I have a debut at the store if you want to hear one.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: turntable questions
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2005, 03:43 pm »
Quote from: jcrane
Now that I have purchased a tube amp, I am thinking of getting a TT. I have never owned a stand alone TT, all mine in the past have been built in to the stereio "rack" system. I am doing my research and I have found two tables that I find appealing, at least visually. They seem to have good comments on the net but was wondering if you guys had any comments on the following two models or any other recommendation in the price range.
Pro ject Debut III muti-color (RED)
Music Hall MMF 2.1 (SE Ferrari Red)

Jamie,

What pre are you using and does it have a phono section?  If you are only using the integrated amp or your preamp does not have phono, you will need a phono stage as well.  PM me if you want a MMF 5, Parasound PPH 100, a spare cartridge, Shure force guage and an alignment disk all within your budget.  I got these along with a 1000 + records in a deal last year with a poster here and they are just sitting around.  I have two other TT systems that sound better but this setup REALLY isn't that far behind.

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
budget turntable
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2005, 04:45 pm »
That's about all that you can get new that will sound decent for that amount of money. You may be able to find a used Rega table that will be a heavier duty unit with a much better arm, but red is gonna be tough! As another fellow has mentioned, you need a decent phono preamp to get the best sound, so plan on putting at least another $250 into that also. The thing that should be of most interest to you is that the system will actually be an investment rather than an expense like so many other audio items. The table will pay for itself in money saved by buying Lps at bargain prices Vs buying CDs. The phono stage will pay off in allowing you to join the many thousands who have discovered (or rediscovered) that vinyl played-back on a nice system gives the best difital a run for its money. Go for it - it'll be a long and rewarding journey!
-Bill