Crimp vs Solder

Arctos

Crimp vs Solder
« on: 6 Apr 2003, 10:10 pm »
Greetings,
I am ready to start the construction of the crossovers for my first pair of DIY 2-way speakers.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is better to use crimp barrels or solder to connect the components together?  I have read in different articles that both methods are good if performed correctly and have read that some folks even use crimping and soldering for the same joint.

Question 2:  If I choose to crimp, does anyone know the proper way to crimp a crimp barrel?  The reason I ask is that the barrels have a seam, and the part of my crimping tool used for non-insulated barrels has a nub on one side and a half circle on the other.  Do I align the nub with the seam, opposite the seam, or somewhere in-between?

Thanks in advance for the assistance,

RDS

markC

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2003, 11:51 pm »
I would personally solder joints on a crossover. I have had good, consistant results by placing the nub of the crimping tool at 90* to the seam. Have fun!

gonefishin

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2003, 02:28 am »
The only crimp I can imagine being better than a soldered connection would be when a crimp is compared to a poor solder joint.  

my vote...solder!

markC

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2003, 02:40 am »
Sorry, I was wrong on the 90* thing. I meant to say that I place the nub of the tool on the seam.

Carlman

Use solder
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2003, 01:59 pm »
Nub goes on the seam for all crimps I've ever seen.  Squeeze till it makes a little "m" shape.  

I've always soldered everything inside a speaker and not used any crimps.  When I've replaced wire, I've removed crimps and replaced them with solder.  

Have fun!

-Carl

peranders

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2003, 01:32 pm »
I would say it is equally good soldering and crimping as long as it's correctly done. Crimping is more industrial and it's more suitable for automatic mounting.

Arctos

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2003, 06:15 pm »
Thank you all,
Looks like most feel that soldering is the way to go.  The reason why I questioned this was that I read in the North Creek Wiring Guide (the North Creek folks are great to deal with and offer top quality products!!) that the best connection was a "cold weld", in which the metals from the components actually blend together.  The cold weld method recommended is a non-insulated crimp.  I may try some experiments and see which one gives me the best results.

Thanks again,

RDS

randytsuch

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2003, 06:24 pm »
Arctos,
I have seen posts at AA where people say crimping is better, if done correctly.  Reason why is the "cold weld" you talked about.  If you crimp, you should get a gas tight connection, where the wires and connector actually bond together.
You would also get a gas tight connection with solder, but then you get solder between the wire and connector, and the solder has an effect on the sound.
I think the problem with crimping is doing it right.  It really takes special tools, that can apply enough force to get a gas tight connection.  I think if you try to crimp with pliers, you might be better off soldering.

Randy

hoxuanduc

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2003, 07:57 pm »
Regarding building speakers...

For connection between drivers and speaker wire, I use the female fast-on terminal crimped to the wire.  Easy to do, available @ HD or PartsExpress.  You can remove drivers very easily.

For XO, I use brass screw and washers, easy to remove & play around, yet very tight connection.

I doubt the sound quality suffer.  If you want to improve quality, play with better caps, registors & cables.  I think they matter much more than the connections!  I haven't seen any one comparing sound difference between solder connection vs crimp connection.

Sedona Sky Sound

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2003, 04:40 am »
Personally, I do both with all my interconnects and speaker cables. Am I able to hear a difference between crimped, soldered, or both? No. Neither could my wife who has ears like a bat.

I mainly do it for structural integrity. By putting a good crimp on things I figure that at least a good portion of the copper/silver is against the connector (the crimping theory sounds plausible so figured no need to fight it). I then use my solder station to make sure I have a good solder weld. I figure that if nothing else the solder will help strengthen the joint and also keep the copper/silver from tarnishing where it meets the connector. A side benefit of doing the crimp first is that it makes it easier to solder since everything is held nicely in place. JMHO

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

Arctos

Crimp vs Solder
« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2003, 05:15 am »
Excellent info!!!
I have an idea and I would like your opinion:

I have purchased a pretty nice dedicated crimping tool (specifically for non-insulated barrels).  If I twist the wires together very tightly and crimp the *** out of it  :) , then cover the crimp barrel in silicone caulking, I would think this would give me a good connection and also make it air tight for corrosion purposes.

What do you think?

Thanks,

RDS