Experimenting with mu metal materials in audio systems?

3moons

I've been looking into this to block stray EMI/RFI between digital, preamps, etc and wonder how many DIYers have successfuly used these materials? Descriptions, results, failures/successes you wish to share much appreciated.  jim...

beat

« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2003, 11:53 pm »
I take it you are referring to the mu-metal alloy of nickel, copper, etc... I would like to try to find it in granular form and stuff in vinyl tubing surrounding some diy silver interconnects. I would think that the shielding properties and the inherent dampening offered from small granules (like sand) would be awesome. Heck, if you can give it a shot..go for it I say. I've been thinking about this type of thing. Actually, if you have it available to you in a sandy consistency let me know. I would totally enjoy doing a little r&d with it.

3moons

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2003, 12:00 am »
Quote from: beat
I take it you are referring to the mu-metal alloy of nickel, copper, etc... I would like to try to find it in granular form and stuff in vinyl tubing surrounding some diy silver interconnects. I would think that the shielding properties and the inherent dampening offered from small granules (like sand) would be awesome. Heck, if you can give it a shot..go for it I say. I've been thinking about this type of thing. Actually, if you have it available to you in a sandy consistency let me know. I would totally enjoy doing a little r&d with it.

I think this has great possibilities. My thoughts were to use it around transport, DAC. To shield different  componants from each other. I like your idea too. The stuff is expensive but may make some good DIY experiments. jim...