vmps larger setup

CornellAlum

vmps larger setup
« on: 7 Jun 2005, 02:20 am »
I got my vmps larger from George today and I must say, wow, I am certainly impressed.  Thanks George for a stellar stellar transaction.  I offerred to help the fedex guy carry it up and I had a suit on, probably a site to behold when it's 94 degrees but that's a story for another day...It matches my 626r's like no other.  That said, I am clueless in how to set the unit up and would like some help.  How do I oorient the bass on the carpet?  Does the large radiator near the binding posts fire downward?  ETC...I need some help and would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks

Daryan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
vmps larger setup
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2005, 02:42 am »
Glad to see it made it there safe and sound.

Give me a call and I can walk you through setup.

It's pretty easy...

George

CornellAlum

vmps larger setup
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2005, 02:49 am »
Will do, I will call you tomorrow evening around 7, I am beat...26 and old after a 12 hour marathon of a day :lol:

CornellAlum

vmps larger setup
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2005, 09:26 pm »
Just a quick question as i figured most everything out this morning on my own and I know Geroge is probably at work.  Does the base for the sub go solid part down, as in the radiator fires downward into the open, or does it fire onto a flat surface, base flat surface side up.  I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the extremely stupid question. :(

Daryan

zybar

• Volunteer
vmps larger setup
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2005, 09:37 pm »
Quote from: CornellAlum
Just a quick question as i figured most everything out this morning on my own and I know Geroge is probably at work.  Does the base for the sub go solid part down, as in the radiator fires downward into the open, or does it fire onto a flat surface, base flat surface side up.  I hope this makes sense.

Daryan

Just sent you a PM - call me at work.

George

John Casler

vmps larger setup
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2005, 09:46 pm »

Daryan

Hi Daryan, the bottom of your sub should look lke this:

and this:

The "solid" part you are talking about is not attached to the sub in the picture above.

It is best not used, unless you need to use the sub turned up on one end (vertical orientation).

That large black piece of Particle Board is used primarily to "protect" the slot base during shipping, or it can be used as I said, if you wish to stand the sub up vertically on one end, it creates a forward firing slot.

Now that doesn't mean you can't use it on the bottom in normal orientation, but it is very smooth and reduces "mechanical coupling" by a large degree. (meaning slight softer bass)

CornellAlum

vmps larger setup
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2005, 10:40 pm »
John,

You rock.   :wink: Mine looks a little different.  The base is fully enclosed with the exception of a small hole which I assume George ran cable out of to his amp.  Otherwise they look the same.

Thank you sir, sucks being at work this late when I want to go play :lol:

John Casler

vmps larger setup
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2005, 11:33 pm »
John,

You rock.   :wink: Mine looks a little different.  The base is fully enclosed with the exception of a small hole which I assume George ran cable out of to his amp.  Otherwise they look the same.

Thank you sir, sucks being at work this late when I want to go play :lol:

That bottom plate that "encloses" the slot, it what I'm refering to.

It is best to remove that unless your sub is used vertically.  

It should look "exactly" like the pictures above.

zybar

• Volunteer
vmps larger setup
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2005, 11:58 pm »
I screwed the base plate into the mdf base so that there was less chance of damage in shipment.

Simply unscrew the base plate form the base and attach the base to the sub as John stated.

I am now home, so you can call me and I can help guide you.

George

CornellAlum

vmps larger setup
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2005, 12:45 am »
Thanks again fellas.  Have a great evening.  

Daryan

Pocketchange

Which XOs
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2005, 03:17 am »
B. noted:
Try setting up with the Larger in stereo mode FIRST.  Listen for a time... without using his XO option...  (which I have BTW).  Then wire in the XOs if you don't like the full spec sound.

Well...  I'm still doing the full spectrum route.  I think of it as a three way system.  I'm very happy with the setup.

My MLS's 626s are aprox 6/7' apart w/the larger in the corner, along the longer wall in a room with 3 walls and an open area going into another area (room).

Power supply: SX1250 running A speakers (626s) B speakers (Larger Sub).

How does it sound?  Like a snifter of Glenfiddish (the 18 year old stuff).  
And the XOs are for sale if you want them.

pc