Omegastar or T-5 for AES superamp and Sennheiser headphon

cil

Hi,

I am looking for a preamp to replace my ASL LH-01 preamp to drive a AES superamp AE-25 as well as a Sennheiser HD-580 headphone.

I am very happy to find out that both Omegastar and T-5 have headphone output. Can you all tell me if the headphone output can drive the Sennheiser/high-impedence headphone or not?

Also I am wondering if anyone tries to use Omegastar or the T-5 with the superamp. If so, can you tell me which one is a better match, especially for Jazz vocal and classical music?

Thanks.

cil.

EMM801

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2005, 11:26 pm »
I used to have a SuperPas 4i and it drove my 580s beautifully. I'm sure the T5 will too.

skrivis

Re: Omegastar or T-5 for AES superamp and Sennheiser headpho
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2005, 11:05 pm »
Quote from: cil
Hi,

I am looking for a preamp to replace my ASL LH-01 preamp to drive a AES superamp AE-25 as well as a Sennheiser HD-580 headphone.

I am very happy to find out that both Omegastar and T-5 have headphone output. Can you all tell me if the headphone output can drive the Sennheiser/high-impedence headphone or not?

Also I am wondering if anyone tries to use Omegastar or the T-5 with the superamp. If so, can you tell me which one is a better match, especially for Jazz vocal and classical music?

Thanks.

cil.

I'd think either one would be excellent for your needs. I'm partial to the OmegaStar, but that's just me. :-)

cil

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2005, 12:24 am »
Thanks for the info.

skrivis, can you tell me why you partial to the omegastar? I don't have a chance to listen to the two preamp so it will be great to know the difference between them. Thanks.

cil

skrivis

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2005, 03:00 pm »
Thanks for the info.

skrivis, can you tell me why you partial to the omegastar? I don't have a chance to listen to the two preamp so it will be great to know the difference between them. Thanks.

cil

It's partly cost and convenience. There's no tube replacement with SS, and OmegaStar costs less than FetValve.

It's true that tube replacement isn't needed very often, but it's needed not at all with SS. :)

I'm sure that AVA's FetValve equipment is better than their OmegaStar equipment in some ways. It's probably that nth little bit more accurate. But it's also more expensive.

I feel I'm at a good position with my OmegaStar DAC, amp, and preamp. They're quite "good enough," and it's likely any money I spend on improvements to my stereo should go into speakers.

I guess I'm really just tickled pink with the OmegaStar gear. It does a wonderful job, satisfies me completely, and I'm not in any hurry to upgrade. :)

skrivis

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2005, 03:13 pm »
Thanks for the info.

cil

I guess I should say that my preference for the OmegaStar products is not based upon my having listened to both. I do have an older FetValve amp, but nothing current.

After many years of being an AVA customer, I tend to take Frank's word on improvments.

If he says something is better, I believe him. I then proceed based upon cost and whether it "feels like" time to upgrade.

Trust is a big issue for me. I've found that I can trust Frank and AVA.

I've also found that they won't try to "upsell" you. If it's apparent that you're best-served by getting a lower-cost model, they won't try to push you  towards the high-priced ones. (And again, this is part of that trust I have for AVA.)