Von Schweikert VR-4SRs have arrived! Pics....

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« on: 5 Jun 2005, 01:14 am »
They're here!!  It took a couple extra days of waiting thanks to all the rain we had this week.  I had to leave them sitting at the airport freight depot because of the weather.  Talk about excrutiating!...

Lesson #1:  Don't attempt to move 250 pound boxes by yourself..... especially if you are as fat and out of shape as I am :)  It WILL kick your derriere....

I am linking to a few pics in this message.  File size alert!  I didn't bother down-rezing these shots.  So they are ~300Kb 1600X1200 digital photos.  Download at your leisure.  Might as well use up some of my web hosting bandwidth :)

http://www.hometheaterdoc.com/images/IMG_0586.jpg">Picture #1
http://www.hometheaterdoc.com/images/IMG_0587.jpg">Picture #2
http://www.hometheaterdoc.com/images/IMG_0588.jpg">Picture #3
http://www.hometheaterdoc.com/images/IMG_0589.jpg">Picture #4

My demo pair is in the African Ebony finish, one of the two premium finishes (Sycamore is the other optional finish).  Standard finishes are african hazelwood and red cherry.

After sweating, grunting and struggling, I unboxed these guys and set them up for some break in.  I ran them for ~ 10 hours with the bass modules facing each other and the M/T modules seperately arranged so that they too were facing each other.  I did the obligitory playing of Stereophile Test Disc #3, Track 20 on full repeat.  I rand the wiring such that one module was out of phase to knock down the volume level (thereby allowing me to run them at what amounts to a very elevated volume to help speed break in and get the drivers more compliant).  Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer and had to fire 'em up and give an initial listen....

Can I just say I absolutely HATE having to break in speakers?  What a royal pain in the derriere.  Anyone locally that wants to volunteer to be my designated demo speaker break in person, please let me know...  

The 4SRs sound like every other speaker does straight out of the box.... like they need a ton of break in... and VSA stuff is notorious for taking a while to really come into its own....  However, through the break in needed sound, I can already tell that these are going to work out very very very well :)  I know what will improve with break in.  I'm just surprised at how good they are already without any time on them.  I spent most of CES doing extended listening tests with these speakers, the VR-9s, and the Usher Dancer II CP-8571s I have here (the display pair from the show that also was the pair that was reviewed in this month's Absolute Sound).  

I'll let you all know when I get some more time on them and can better evaluate them.

NealH

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2005, 01:21 am »
Very nice looking speakers, though I do wish you had placed a Jr beside them for a better perspective.  

250 lbs, ouch!   That's fork lift material.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2005, 02:23 am »
hometheaterdoc:
  I've had a pair of the VR-4 GENIIIHSE speakers for over a year and I am very,very happy with them. Just a little bit of info. for you. The VR speakers love and I mean love lot's of power fed to them. A 150 watt amp isn't going to make them to sing. Try 400 per speaker and then you will hear what I'm saying about them.

Cheers
                                  Charlie

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:00 am »
Quote from: rnhood
Very nice looking speakers, though I do wish you had placed a Jr beside them for a better perspective.  

250 lbs, ouch!   That's fork lift material.

Ask and ye shall receive.... considering I've got 70 + pounds of lead shot in the jrs, their bass cabinets are a good bit heavier than the SR's.  But the SR's cabinet is more difficult to handle because its larger.

http://www.hometheaterdoc.com/images/VR-4SR-VR-4jr-1.jpg">VR-4SR and VR-4JR #1
http://www.hometheaterdoc.com/images/VR-4SR-VR-4jr-2.jpg">VR-4SR and VR-4JR #2

Of course, if you really want to see the difference, you're welcome to drive down the street to see them in person :) hehehehe....

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:20 am »
Funny, a friend and I were talking about these speakers today.  They were paired up with a $20,000.00 integrated Vac amp at HE2005 in NYC.  We thought they could have been the best in show.  Congratulations, beautiful to look at and beautiful to hear.

ekovalsky

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:58 am »
That ebony looks sharp.  These look to be WATT/Puppy clones.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2005, 05:33 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky

Don't insult my 4SRs! :)

In all seriousness, in person, these look nothing alike.  There is a local audiophile who has a set of the series 7 watt/Puppy's....  totally different lines, very different tactile feel and aesthetics are different.....and I guarentee you they don't sound alike :)

ekovalsky

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2005, 05:37 am »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
Quote from: ekovalsky

Don't insult my 4SRs! :)

:lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2005, 05:41 am »
Shane,
    Try a pair of Butler 2250's running as mono blocks on the VR4 SRs....should sound really good. :) [/list:u]
      They look good !!! I always enjoyed the Jr's...this is a nice step up !!! 8) [/list:u]

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2005, 06:25 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Shane,
    Try a pair of Butler 2250's running as mono blocks on the VR4 SRs....should sound really good. :) [/list:u]
      They look good !!! I always enjoyed the Jr's...this is a nice step up !!! 8) [/list:u]

What do you think I'm running them with as I type this? Combined with the Tact, it's kind of nice :)

I've had the question asked of me a number of times in discussing the impending release of the SR.....  Since the 4SRs in base trim cost twice as much as the JRs, are they really worth twice the money?....  early listening confirms that is a big, fat affirmative.

listener_111

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2005, 10:44 am »
So How do these speakers (VR) series comapred to the Usher series ! Any pros cons for both will be of great help !

nickspicks

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2005, 11:51 am »
those are some aweful brawny looking speakers!
My VSA dealer says they are the best thing out there under $20k.  He's taken with them...and VSA is his low end speaker line.  These are now his favorites.

I think an ultimate matchup for these would be the Manley 250 monos.
:)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2005, 01:37 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
hometheaterdoc:
  I've had a pair of the VR-4 GENIIIHSE speakers for over a year and I am very,very happy with them. Just a little bit of info. for you. The VR speakers love and I mean love lot's of power fed to them. A 150 watt amp isn't going to make them to sing. Try 400 per speaker and then you will hear what I'm saying about them.

Cheers
                                  Charlie

100 or 200 watts can make them sing if they are the "right" watts.

These speakers + the VAC Phi integrated is something that can produce intoxicating music.

George

brj

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2005, 01:47 pm »
I've heard the VR4 Jr's before and was really impressed.  It looks like these use completely different drivers, however.  Any comparisons between the two would be appreciated!

By the way, what do these critters cost?  I think the Jr's come in just below $4k...

Edit: Found the VR4 Sr MSRP listed elsewhere online at $8000 and confirmed that the VR4 Jr is $3995.  Unfortunately, that moves the VR4 Sr's into the "win the lottery" speaker category for me! :)

jjtoma

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:18 pm »
Hello Shane

You PMed me @ avsforum, about the DB99's. Mentioned the VR4SR's
were coming. I heard these at the HES 2005 NYC show in early
May. My thinking was that room with these VR4SR & the VAC PHI
integrated amp sounded like magic. I went back and listened
3 times, just did not want to get out of my chair each time! Albert
& Kevin Hayes (VAC) were such gentlemen, answer all my questions
thoughly. John Marks(Stereophile) was in the room one time, he had
Kevin Hayes play some of his test CD's. He was very impressed .

Which picture you shot, shows the best color shading of your speakers,
it seems the 2nd set has more of a red tint.

Thanks

Jim  :D

PS 1) Looking at the specs, the SR's are easier to drive than the JR's?
     2) Also how much of a upcharge for the premiun finish?

NealH

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2005, 12:01 am »
Well there is certainly a family resemblence between the Jr's and Sr's and, they both look very nice.  That VS line appears to be establishing a fine pedigree.  I have been following Mike Lavigne's exploits with his newly acquired VS-9s and, even though this is no doubt in another league (certianly price-wise anyway), my guess is the VR-4 Sr shares some of the philosophy that went into the VS-9.  

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020&read&3&4&&st200

I just looked up the VAC Phi amplifier on their website and, there is several models in this line - all being very expensive.  What is so special about this particular amp?  There are so many tube amplifiers on the market today that I just would not think that it takes $10K+ to get the liquid and palpable top notch sound tubes are known for.

jermmd

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2005, 01:34 am »
rnhood,

The Vac just happened to be the amp the VR4 SR's were hooked up with at HE2005 and it sounded very, very good.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2005, 02:38 am »
Quote from: rnhood
Well there is certainly a family resemblence between the Jr's and Sr's and, they both look very nice.  That VS line appears to be establishing a fine pedigree.  I have been following Mike Lavigne's exploits with his newly acquired VS-9s and, even though this is no doubt in another league (certianly price-wise anyway), my guess is the VR-4 Sr shares some of the philosophy that went into the VS-9.  

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020&read&3&4&&st200

I just looked up the VAC Phi a ...

Since all this is very subjective, all I can say is before judging or questioning, maybe go listen first?  Even if you can't buy it (I know I can't afford a $20k integrated amp), it "might" give you a new frame of reference to shoot for.

BTW, I think my McCormack DNA-500 gets pretty darn close to the VAC at "only" $7k.   :mrgreen:

Another option would be a pair of Butler amps running in mono.

George

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2005, 05:27 pm »
Quote from: listener_111
So How do these speakers (VR) series comapred to the Usher series ! Any pros cons for both will be of great help !

I don't want to make any kind of concrete comparisons until the 4SRs have had a chance to break in.  They do offer a different presentation than the Ushers upon initial listen.  I love both and at this point honestly can't say which I would rather have if I had to choose just one.  Luckily, I don't have to choose :)

Once the SRs have had a chance to break in to a comparable level to the Usher Dancer II CP-8571s, I'll share more in depth thoughts.  Right now, the SRs definitely have more bass (which may or may not be a good thing depending on the size of your room), and do the typical Von Schweikert insane off axis dispersion thing in spades... the ushers are incredibly real and palpable sounding.  The VSA's need some break in to get rid of some of the roughness of a new speaker.  They'll bloom in time though.

Quote from: jjtoma
Hello Shane

You PMed me @ avsforum, about the DB99's. Mentioned the VR4SR's
were coming.

(snip)

Which picture you shot, shows the best color shading of your speakers,
it seems the 2nd set has more of a red tint.

Hey again Jim,  

My el cheapo digital camera has a bit of a reddish orangish push to it with all the photos it takes... so that might be what you are seeing... or your monitor needs to be calibrated :) hehehe... honestly though, in person, they don't really have a red tinge.  From a distance, the speakers look jet black.  In natural sunlight, and closer up, you can see the grain pattern and they look like a very very dark brown with chestnutty grain stripes.  If anything, there is a tinge of purple to the brown that may be accounting for the red you are seeing???

I took the photos more to show size and scale of the speakers and to show the veneer grain, rather than trying to show exact coloring.  You need to see that in person to fully appreciate it.....

Quote from: jjtoma
1) Looking at the specs, the SR's are easier to drive than the JR's?
2) Also how much of a upcharge for the premiun finish?

1)  The SRs in my brief time with them definitely appear easier to drive.  Quite honestly, the JRs are the hardest of any of the VSA models I have had in house to drive.  That's not to say they need 6000 watts or anything.  Just that the impedence is so benign on the other models and they seem to come to life with only a watt or two, that the jrs really need at least 50+ solid state watts (and preferably more) before they come into their own...  The SRs seem completely effortless with only a few watts.... although I haven't been able to completely verify that as I am currently breaking them in with Butler 250 watt stereo amps.

2)  The standard finishes (african hazelwood and dark cherry) are $8K.  The Ebony and Sycamore are $10K a pair.  Don't expect much wheeling and dealing with your dealer on the standard finish VR-4SRs.  They were trying to hit a price point and in order to do that, dealer margin took a big hit.  One sure way to ensure dealers sell at MSRP?  Squeeze the margin :)  A little inside info for you.

Sorry to take so long to answer questions... I've been a little busy :)

jjtoma

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:34 pm »
Hello shane

We are wondering if you had time to compare the VR4sr to
the Usher?.

Any news on the new VR5? Description & msrp.

Thanks
Jim
 :D