Few different questions

Marty5

Few different questions
« on: 4 Jun 2005, 02:13 am »
Greetings,
I have noticed how most of you center your speakers/monitors symmetrically between the front wall. I have a window that isn't centered <towards right> If I center my speaker placement I will have the left monitor with a wall behind it and the right with a window behind it. Is it more important to be in the center of the wall or to have consistant surfaces behind my speakers? Below is a link to my room diagram.

3 other questions below if anyone can help-
any help appreciated
Martin

My windows are covered with drapes would some 2in 703 behind the drapes be a good idea?

I have a clothes dresser on the back wall behind my mixing position. Would it be of acoustical value to open some of the drawers <filled with clothes> while mixing?

I have a bunch of vinyl records, should I utilize them as people do with bookshelves <diffusion>? Right now they're in rubbermaid containers.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amateur57/detail?.dir=e1e3&.dnm=d548.jpg&.src=ph

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Few different questions
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2005, 04:15 pm »
Marty,

> Is it more important to be in the center of the wall or to have consistant surfaces behind my speakers? <

It's much more important to be symmetrical (centered).

> My windows are covered with drapes would some 2in 703 behind the drapes be a good idea? <

Assuming the room needs absorption anyway, that will help.

> Would it be of acoustical value to open some of the drawers <filled with clothes> while mixing? <

Again, that may add a little absorption into the room. But in a room that size - and especially when the goal is to mix music accurately - you need much more than a few drawers full of clothes. In particular, what you need most is broadband absorption that's effective to as low a frequency as possible. Unfortunately, clothes and 2-inch 703 don't do anything useful at low frequencies.

> I have a bunch of vinyl records, should I utilize them as people do with bookshelves <diffusion>? <

A shelf full of LPs (or CDs) is not the same as a real diffusor. Perhaps it could be set up to diffuse a little, but you'd have to place the LPs very precisely. It's mostly a myth that a shelf full of "stuff" can be a good diffusor. And most small rooms need absorption much more than diffusion.

--Ethan

Marty5

Few different questions
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2005, 11:36 pm »
Thanks for the respose Ethan :D very heplful.. to take care of the Bass Frequencies I plan on using Thermafiber Mineral Wool (Sound attenuation Fire Blankets) They are wrapped in plastic,rolled up and are 4 ft high each. I plan on putting 2 in each corner of my room and use as bass traps. (got the idea from your  FAQ where you recommend using fluffy fiberglass) Will this thermafiber have the same effect as the "fluffy" fiberglass. Also is it best to place the packages up against the corners or leave some "space" between the wall and mineral wool? The Thermafiber was given to me for free from a friend in construction.

Thermafiber specs are as following:
 3inches thick,
R11.1,
2.5 pcf density

125hz=0.51
250hz=0.99
500hz=1.18
1000hz=1.02
2000hz=0.98
4000hz=0.96
NRC-1.05

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Few different questions
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2005, 02:33 pm »
Marty,

> Will this thermafiber have the same effect as the "fluffy" fiberglass. <

Sure.

> is it best to place the packages up against the corners <

Yes, push them into the corner as close as they'll go. And consider doing more than just two corners if possible.

Also, the specs are for each piece, so when you put an entire bag into the corner the absorption will be much greater.

--Ethan

ScottMayo

Re: Few different questions
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2005, 04:39 pm »
Quote from: Marty5
windows are covered with drapes would some 2in 703 behind the drapes be a good idea?

Yes, and buy/create a trap of more or less the same dimensions, with cloth and 703, on the other side as well, to match. With higher frequency absorption, it helps if both sides of the room absorb about the same way. At any rate there is something unpleasant about sound ringing off of glass, so getting something over the windows is a good idea. (Plus you probably don't want noise from outside leaking in so freely...)