Latest DVD purchase?

Tonto Yoder

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #40 on: 2 Sep 2003, 11:45 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I'm thinking too about getting "Memento", as I've heard good reviews of it.

"Memento" is a brilliant movie and one that I can understand buying (I'm with Josh in that I don't watch movies over and over).  The backwards technique (plot moves from the end to beginning) makes me suspect repeated viewings would reveal little connections in what's happening. Of course, watching the movie for the first time and NOT understanding what's going on is part of the brilliance since the viewer is put in Guy Pierce's position--living in the confusing moment, not knowing/remembering what has happened before.

Eduardo AAVM

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #41 on: 30 Sep 2003, 05:01 pm »
Incredibly I found last weekend in Mexico City a not so known movie that is not available on DVD even in the USA, the movie is THE EAGLE HAS LANDED, with Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duval, Donald Pleasance and Larry Hagman.

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #42 on: 1 Oct 2003, 12:30 am »
Eduardo,

Are you speaking of this film?

This particular disc has been available in the US for nearly 3 years. But I doubt that it's a highly pressed disc as I've yet to come across it in a retail store to my knowledge. I've not actually been looking for it, but I'd remember that cover if I'd seen it before.

Eduardo AAVM

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #43 on: 1 Oct 2003, 05:06 am »
Exactly, that's the one. I thought it wasn't available in USA because I did a search in cduniverse.com and nothing showed...

Thanks Bubba, by the way if you find ORCA (Killer? Whale) Dino de Laurentis: Richard Harris, Bo Derek, I beg you to inform me where I could get it, music by Ennio Morricone is beauty and the story altough exagerated I like it becasue it's a kind of mother nature's revenge...

And the sadness of human behavior...

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #44 on: 1 Oct 2003, 05:44 am »
Quote from: Eduardo AAVM
by the way if you find ORCA (Killer? Whale) Dino de Laurentis: Richard Harris, Bo Derek, I beg you to inform me where I could get it

Well, I could only find Region 2 PAL copies.

Here's a French version

Here's the German version

And here's the Italian version

I couldn't find any R1, R3 or R4 listings for it though.

Eduardo AAVM

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #45 on: 1 Oct 2003, 06:01 am »
Well Bubba are you Aladin ?

My DVD is muti region but PAL would be a major problem...

The german version would be ok ... I will ask a friend in germany to get it...

Haven't you heard the soundtrack ? Ithink it is a pitty that masterwok (for me) from Ennio Morricone is kind of lost or ignored...

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #46 on: 1 Oct 2003, 06:12 am »
Well Bubba are you Aladin ?

:rotflmao:

Nah. I just buy too many DVD's from all over the world. :mrgreen:

I provided links in the post as to where you could get each version. You could just order it straight from Amazon.de if you'd care.

Multi-region but no PAL? Have you ever thought of getting a player that did PAL-NTSC conversion (and properly too. like one of the JVC's?). Or getting a standards transcoder from someone like TenLab?

I've got a TenLab TR-21 which does a damn good job.

Eduardo AAVM

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #47 on: 1 Oct 2003, 02:24 pm »
Hi Bubba greta also somebody asked me for a converter...

I do not know how are te post rules here but this qustion is based on commercial interest because a customer asked me about a TV standard converter. How much is the Tenlab converter ?

Thank you.

TheeeChosenOne

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #48 on: 1 Oct 2003, 04:26 pm »
ORCA..........what a GREAT movie.  I loved watching it as a kid!   :D

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #49 on: 2 Oct 2003, 12:17 am »
I do not know how are te post rules here but this qustion is based on commercial interest because a customer asked me about a TV standard converter. How much is the Tenlab converter ?

Don't worry about asking for info on the TenLab converters. It's got to do with playing back software that was being spoken of.

And besides, I'm the boss in this circle. :wink:  :lol:

Anyways, the info on TenLab's converters can be found here http://www.tenlab.com/products.htm They've got models from $260 US to $1,599 US depending on what you need to convert, and what type of inputs & outputs (composite/S-Vid/Component) you need.

The TR-21 I've got is $800. It was the top of the line when I bought mine. I don't know if I'd have gone for the TR-1000Pro ($1,500) if it was available when I bought my TR-21 as the 1000Pro is waaaay more than I need.

Eduardo AAVM

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #50 on: 2 Oct 2003, 05:13 am »
Thanks Bubba I already contacted Tenlab but I didn't know what model to choose.

I will advise my customer and see what he decides.

JoshK

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #51 on: 2 Oct 2003, 04:03 pm »
I recently bought a DVD-R of Tori Amos' Live in NYC.  This is a benefit concert she did and has a rare appearance of Maynard from Tool accompanying Tori on vocals in one of my favorite Tori songs, Muhammed My Friend.   Great stuff!

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #52 on: 31 May 2004, 04:28 am »
Thanks Bubba, by the way if you find ORCA (Killer? Whale) Dino de Laurentis: Richard Harris, Bo Derek, I beg you to inform me where I could get it, music by Ennio Morricone is beauty and the story altough exagerated I like it becasue it's a kind of mother nature's revenge...

Well, if you've not picked it up yet, it's going to be released in the U.S. on 9/14/2004.

Or if you have picked it up, this one'll be NTSC so it should be a lot better looking as it won't be transcoded from PAL.

Eduardo AAVM

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2004, 02:20 pm »
Hello Bubba966 thanks a lot...

What I did was tu buy the VHS from cduniverse.com and then I copied it on DVD with my Gateway AR-230. That way I can preserve the tape, but know that it will be released it's a very good notice. I'll get one.

Thanks.