Latest DVD purchase?

bob82274

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2003, 10:17 pm »
An empty bank account has been whats prevented me.  I started my new job last week but I have spent my first two paychecks already....  Bought me a new computer  :D .  So it will be a couple of weeks before I can start buying movies and music again.  There are some things I already have on my list.  The complete sessions of Cowboy Bebop and the movie are on there.  I might also get the first season of DS9.  If I don't like it then I'll sell it and get some of the money back.  If I do though then that means I have to go and get the other seasons as well :roll:.  

Its just nice to have money coming in again.

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2003, 03:43 am »
You could pick up the DS9 set at Costco. If you didn't care for it you could take it back for a full refund. You can take anything back there for whatever reason as long as it's been less than 30 days.

Quote from: bob82274
Its just nice to have money coming in again.

I know that feeling. Was out of work for 5 1/2 months. Now that I've been getting solid pay for a month or so, I've started picking up discs again.

This (in no particular order) is what I've picked up in the last 2 weeks or so...

DVD's
The Animatrix (Regular Edition)
xXx (Superbit)
Men In Black (Superbit)
Men In Black II (Superbit)
Bad Boys (Superbit)
Charlies Angels (Superbit Deluxe)
Brokedown Palace
Panic
Ace Ventura Pet Detective
Catch Me If You Can
A Guy Thing
The Recruit
Dick Tracy
The Hole (Canadian Import)
Get Over It!
Sugar & Spice
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Star Trek Nemesis
Equilibrium
The Hot Chick

LD's
The Relic
Jade
Heat
Deep Rising

I swear I'm forgetting something. But I don't know what disc it'd be...

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2003, 04:11 am »
Today's stop at BB made me a little lighter in the wallet, and a bit heavier on the DVD collection... :lol:

Ended up picking up Die Another Day, Bond Girls Are Forever (Free w/purchase of Die), And the T2 Extreme DVD.

Off to watch Bond now. :mrgreen:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2003, 09:45 am »
I was intent on buying the Bond disc and the new Sugar Ray when a Voice From On High intervened:  the first four Queensryche albums have finally been remastered.  All movies and lesser musics simply must wait! 8)

I put back SR and a couple of movies, but the remasters are godlike!  QR simply rocks, and the new versions are incredible.

Maybe next week I'll get the Bond one, but I think St. Anger comes out the same week.  Yeah, music holds the aces right now.

Brian, let me know if the Bond Girls Are Forever has any "interesting" content! 8)  :lol:

dogberry

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2003, 01:15 pm »
Superbit Mask of Zorro!  It's great!  DTS and a splendid picture.  One of the best action/adventure movies ever.  I love Zorro and Robin Hood--have since I was a kid.  There's quite a few Superbit titles now, and they're doing a better job than with their first few offerings.

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2003, 11:36 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Brian, let me know if the Bond Girls Are Forever has any "interesting" content! 8)  :lol:

Sorry Rob, no "interesting" content. Was kinda cool. I wouldn't been happy paying for it though, but free worked ok.

dogberry, I've not picked up the SB Zorro yet. Was planning on getting it on LD first. And if for some reason the LD transfer was nasty, then I'd get the SB version. But I believe the LD & SB DVD have the same transfer, so I'll probably just stick with the LD.

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2003, 11:43 pm »
Now for this weeks movie madness...

New DVD's

South Park Season 2
Oldschool Unrated Edition
Biker Boyz

New LD's

Hunchback of Notre Dame  DTS
True Lies  DTS
Toy Story  DTS
The Quest  DTS
In the Name of the Father  DTS
Hercules  DTS
In the Mouth of Madness  DTS
The Rock  DTS
The Crow  DTS
Flubber  DTS
Spawn  DTS
Pocahontas  DTS
Dragon  DTS
Jurassic Park 1  DTS
Jurassic Park 2  DTS
Liar, Liar  DTS
Jackie Brown  DTS
Red Corner  DTS
Phenomenon  DTS
Shine  DTS
Apollo 13  DTS
Species  DTS

I actually had 15 of those DTS LD's already. But I got such a good deal on the whole lot that I couldn't pass them up. If I eBay them, I should easily get way more out of the 15 extras than I paid for the entire lot. So I keep 7 of them, and get my money back and then some. :mrgreen: Gotta love people that don't know what they've got when they're selling stuff... :D

bob82274

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2003, 12:59 am »
Finally had some money to buy some movies!  Woohoo!  :D

Terminator 2 Extreme Edition:  Bought this one for the HD transfer and because my other copy isn't the Ultimate Edition.

The Animatrix: There are some really good ones and some forgetable ones.  I enjoyed the ones by Watanabe but that isn't too much of a surprise because I love Cowboy Bebop.

Equilibrium:  A good flick and a little more artsy than what I had imagined.

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2003, 07:38 am »
I still need to watch The Animatrix & T2 Extreme. :nono: Bad me. :lol:

I did manage to throw in T2 real quick. Noticed that the DD EX track is actually flagged properly. It's the first disc I've seen that's got the EX track encoded with the proper flags to let EX decoders to auto-detect that it's mixed for EX decoding.

And it only took them 3 1/2 years to get the EX enocders to do that... :roll:

bob82274

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jun 2003, 12:18 am »
This weeks purchases (man its nice having a job  :D ):

Die Another Day:  I really liked this Bond film.  Maybe it was that the last two were crap; I don't know.  Bunch of good (bad?) puns that add to a Bond film and great looking Bond girls that fit the part (Denise Richards as a Nuclear Scientist  :roll: )

The Right Stuff: I have never seen this movie and bought it on a whim.  However my gut almost never lets me down and I am sure that I will enjoy it.  I just need to find a huge block of time to watch it as its 193 min long  :o.

Next week its going to be a Cowboy Bebop week as I will probably pick up all the episodes and the movie (which comes out on tuesday I think).

bob82274

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2003, 12:31 am »
Quote from: bob82274

The Right Stuff: I have never seen this movie and bought it on a whim.  However my gut almost never lets me down and I am sure that I will enjoy it.  I just need to find a huge block  ...

My gut talks and I'm glad I listen  :lol:

I loved this movie!  If anyone hasn't seen it you need to as its just a lot of fun to watch and the effects are great as well for a 20 year old movie.

bob82274

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2003, 10:08 pm »
Been a while since any of us have updated this so I guess I'll put mine up:

Cowboy Bebop- The Complete Sessions: I'm not really into too much anime but this series is great. It’s easily accessible to Westerners do to some format differences in the story compared to traditional anime. It’s episodic so you don't have to see the previous one to enjoy the episode. There are some small continuous story lines but you don't have to know about them to enjoy the show. Another big draw is that there is a lot of jazz and other similar music that is contained through out the show. The packaging continues this theme through having the back looking like the linear notes from a Blue Note album. Also the actual DVDs look like vinyl. Highly recommended!

Independence Day - Special Edition: Ok this is one that either you like or you don't. If you do enjoy it check out the special edition then as it has some really good scenes that are added back in which flesh out the movie a little more. This was one of those Best Buy Special Editions that they just came out with. I don't know if the actual disks differ from previous releases but the packaging is different I believe.

Planet of the Apes - Special Edition: This is the Tim Burton remake. I think the original is better, but I bought it and ID4 for $25 as it was one of those Best Buy Special Editions as well.

Rocky - Special Edition: Classic. 'Nuff said.

Kingpin: A Farrelly brothers' movie. Sick. Disgusting. And quite funny (remember the land lady). Got it free with Rocky as Best Buy was running a special on that as well.

High Fidelity: If I had to pick my favorite "romantic comedy" this and Chasing Amy would be up for the title. Definitely in my Top 5. Really a great movie that audiophiles should check out. I know that I bought at least one CD because of this movie. Great cast with John Cusack, Joan Cusack, Tim Robbins, Jack Black (who shows off his great voice) and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #32 on: 13 Aug 2003, 05:39 am »
My brother just bought Hot Dog, the "classic" 80's titty flick and he talked me into watching it.  It was hilarious, but not because it's great comedy but more due to the hideous cheesiness and astonishingly bad acting/writing/"plot", etc etc.

JoshK

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2003, 03:55 pm »
Bought Emma and Multiplicity for the wife.  Two of her faves she didn't have, myself I am not really into buying movies as I only ever watch a movie once or twice with rare exception, so $3.50 rentals work for me.  

I do own High Fidelity as it is just one of my top five favorite movies.

pjchappy

Today's Picks. . .
« Reply #34 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:12 pm »
I went a little DVD crazy today. . .

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Animal House
LOTR--Two Towers
Vacation
European Vacation
Mr. Show--Season 3
and after reading a post above, I forgot to buy Kingpin. . .I was planning on it (after seeing it again this past weekend). . .but it just slipped my mind.  I forgot how damn funny that movie was!

and 2 Grandaddy CDs. ..

Oh yeah, Radiohead in St. Louis on Sunday was fucking great!

p

bob82274

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #35 on: 27 Aug 2003, 10:40 pm »
I like most people picked up The Two Towers.  I also picked up Simpsons Season 3 and Futurama Season 1.  So not a lot on the DVD front lately.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #36 on: 2 Sep 2003, 03:50 am »
BB has a big "2 for $20" sale going on; I'll likely get the SuperBit "Mask of Zorro" & "Black Hawk Down" as they'll be $10 each.  I'm thinking too about getting "Memento", as I've heard good reviews of it.

bubba966

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #37 on: 2 Sep 2003, 04:10 am »
Rob, which version of Black Hawk Down & Memento are they selling at that price?

I know that the SE/Collectors Ed of Memento is definitely th ebetter choice over the regular version. But I don't know much of the difference between the regular & 3 disc BHD sets as I've yet to see the film.

Memento is definitely worth picking up. Hell, I imported a copy of that from Spain about 5 months before it hit disc here. Then I picked up the SE edition when it was released here.

Unfortunately dropping the $ for my DV-AX10 has seriously depleted the available funds. So no discs for me for a couple of weeks... :(

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #38 on: 2 Sep 2003, 04:58 am »
Just the standard eds, I'm afraid.  "The Mask of Zorro" is the SB version; ironic that that would be the one they release.  It's good but not great.  Still, for $10...

cjr888

Latest DVD purchase?
« Reply #39 on: 2 Sep 2003, 10:15 am »
Grabbed Adaptation and Punch Drunk Love -- really liked both of them..  Finishing up the Family Guy box set which I can watch over and over and over again...