Inexpensive Acoustic Foam Site

John Casler

« on: 2 Jun 2005, 10:29 pm »
Since I heard Ethan mention that Foam by Mail was not meeting its published specs, I wanted to find another source for Acoutic Foam that didn't break the bank of most hobbyists.

Well I just received a small order from http://www.foamandupholstery.com and they seem to offer as good or better pricing, a better selection, and the "density" (I think was the problem on FBM) seems to certainly be adequate.

As a "tweak", I have taken to "layering" my treatments.

I might hang a "moving blanket" on the wall, followed by a layer of carpet padding, followed (and covered) by a layer of 4" acoustic wedge foam.

To move the absorption frequency lower, I simply add more layers of something.

Anyone have any idea, how adding a layer of plastic just over the deepest layer would help?

I have been in construction sites, that have plastic sheeting up in doorways and it seems to block quite a bit of even construction sound.

If it were used "deep" in the layers, would it help?  Or is it too reflective.  Seems like it would be good between two layers of carpet padding for example, with a layer of acoustic foam on the outside layer.

Or, maybe not.

DTB300

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2005, 10:44 pm »
It appears to be better at high level frequency absorption, 2K+, that lower levels by their stats:

125 Hz   0.12
250 Hz      0.24
500 Hz      0.20
1000 Hz   0.55  
2000 Hz   0.95   
4000 Hz    1.02
Overall      0.50               

But it is cheap....24 1' x 1' pieces for ~$13 + Ship.  Maybe many pieces layered might help....

Acoustic Cotton is a nice solution for those that do not want to use Fiberglass, but it does cost more - $14 - $32 per 2' x 4' piece.....But it does the job at the lower frequencies

One must also look at the prices for what you are trying to tame.  If it is free and still does not tame the lower frequencies then the price is irrelevant.

For my preference, when I finally do my room is the Acoustic Cotton.

Dan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2005, 05:32 pm »
That would be my concern too.  That doesn't look like it's doing much of anything below probably 700-800Hz.  That leaves out all the bass, all the vocals, drums, etc.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2005, 06:39 pm »
I just received the 12" x 12" x 4", and the 12" x 12" x 6" tiles and they seem too be "much" more dense than the foam factory offerings.

The 4" has a higher NRC, claiming to absorb .51 at 250Hz.  

I also, as mentioned above, use "layers" of higher density (ususally cheaper) products, such as additional layers of carpet padding to raise the figure even further.

I wonder how they measure these foams?

That is, in common use, the foam is actually penetrated by the sound "twice".  First time is when it hits the surface on the way in, and second time is passing through after being reflected off the surface the foam covers.

I assume that the measurment is performed as the product is used normally, as opposed to placing a speaker behind it and a mike in front of it and only measuring a "one way trip"??

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2005, 06:51 pm »
If they're doing it properly, they have to have a certain number of square feet laid flat on the floor of an anechoic chamber.  This is the only way to properly get a correct A mounting number.  Some spread them out so there is space between them to get 'better numbers' by having all edges of all pieces exposed.  

The formula used only takes into account the surface area of one face x the number of faces - that's how they sometimes end up with numbers > 1.00

Saurav

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2005, 08:35 pm »
I only took a quick look, so I might have missed this - does the site have information about the flame rating of the acoustic foams? I'm paranoid :)

michaelv

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2005, 09:26 pm »
Is this company  real good? Compare to foambymail, it's just a number. I am interested in hearing opinion from John. However, their ceiling tile is exactly what i want. I will order  several 24"x24"x2" to put on my ceiling to kill the echoe. I probably need 6 tiles . Is the Wedged Foam denser than the one from Foambymail?

thanks.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2005, 03:59 pm »
Folks,

> If they're doing it properly, they have to have a certain number of square feet laid flat on the floor of an anechoic chamber. <

Just to clarify, acoustic absorbers are measured in a reverb room, which is the opposite of an anechoic chamber. A reverb room has a huge amount of reverb - so much that it's almost impossible to hold a conversation with someone standing right next to you!

The room's reverb time is measured for each 1/3 octave band with the room empty, then the absorbers to be tested are brought into the room and its reverb time in each band is measured again. The absorption is then calculated by the change in reverb time in each band.

--Ethan

Saurav

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2005, 07:44 pm »
John, one more question about outgassing. Do these smell? :)

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2005, 09:16 pm »
Quote from: Saurav
John, one more question about outgassing. Do these smell? :)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

While my auditory senses might be more honed than my olfactory, I didn't notice any offending odor of any type. :wink:

I should also mention, I only point these out as another "lower priced" alternative to Foam by Mail, since these "seem" to provide a more "dense" product.

Higher priced treatments will certainly represent higher performance also, for those needed an acoustic foam solution type.

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2005, 09:20 pm »
Quote from: michaelv
Is this company  real good? Compare to foambymail, it's just a number. I am interested in hearing opinion from John. However, their ceiling tile is exactly what i want. I will order  several 24"x24"x2" to put on my ceiling to kill the echoe. I probably need 6 tiles . Is the Wedged Foam denser than the one from Foambymail?

thanks.

Hi Michael,

I have no experience with the ceiling tile, but yes the "wedge" foam I have from FBM, is less dense than these guys.

michaelv

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:15 pm »
I email this company and am told that NRC of ceiling tile is lower than wedge foam. Besides , the price of wedge foam is much much cheaper : 6 of 24"x24"x2" is about $25 plus shipping. Since i want to put something on the ceiling to kill the echo, i may go for the wedge one. Do you order it online? I don't see the option , except ordering by phone.

Saurav

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:52 pm »
Thanks. I'll probably try them out. I don't expect them to be more honest in their published numbers than FBM, but it's better than nothing, it's cheap, and I won't have to put on gloves and work with fibreglass. And it's Class B fire rated and doesn't smell :)

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2005, 07:25 pm »
Thanks for the correction Ethan.  I was thinking one thing and typing something else.  :oops:

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2005, 01:23 pm »
John... or anyone...
Do you have the contact info for this company?  Are they still in business?

I finally got the green light to cover a wall with foam and now their site seems to have vanished.

-C

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2005, 02:48 pm »
Not sure what's up with the site, but they still show this contact info on e-bay

For More information Call (248) 284-0002
Ask For Caterina OR Christina
1925 W. Maple    Troy, MI 48084
Email us at: foamexpress2@hotmail.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Mixed-Studio-Acoustic-Soundproofing-WedgePyramid-Foam_W0QQitemZ7342266846QQcategoryZ23784QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2005, 03:15 pm »
Hey John,

Foambymail, whose product was alerted to be deficient, is at 48036.  These guys are at 48084.  I don't know there is any connection here but I've been burned once.  What do we know about this product?

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2005, 03:29 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Hey John,

Foambymail, whose product was alerted to be deficient, is at 48036.  These guys are at 48084.  I don't know there is any connection here but I've been burned once.  What do we know about this product?

Actually I don't know what has transpired lately.

I know at one time they were seemingly seperate companies with significant differences in their products and product lines.

They were also competitiors.

However, they may have "partnered up", consolidated, or any number of possiblilities, so I would suggest calling the number and asking them directly as to their present disposition.

crossroadazn

« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2005, 04:40 pm »
I bought from FBM on eBay x48 12x12x2" for $47 include shipping with choice of color  :wink:
 Cheers.