Soundstage reviews the $1.500 system

Brian

« on: 1 Jun 2005, 06:45 pm »
Hi guys

Just wanted to let you know that Soundstage has the first review of Klaus's excellent $1.500 system.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/odyssey_system.htm

Brgds,
Brian

Anton

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2005, 10:02 pm »
Hi. I read the review too and found it very good. When you think what some mass consumer manufacturers charge for their el cheapo products (Bose charges $1,100.00 for their large radio/cd combination) and what Klaus has achieved for $1,500.00 the only conclusions are:

1. Those manufacturers are getting away with murder (audio murder, that is). :guns:

2. Klaus must be a magician. :peek:

3. Klaus must have made a pact with God Himself. :angel:

Klaus's $1,500.00 system is one that many begginig audiophiles or those on a tight budget can buy and enjoy for many years wihout having to make any excuses for their system.

Congratulations Klaus!! :thumb:

Brian

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2005, 10:44 pm »
Hi

When reading the review I must say, I think it is strange that they do not inform that the the merlin speakers, to which they compare the Epiphony, cost $2.800 which is almost twice the cost of Klaus's whole system.

Brian

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2005, 12:24 am »
They do mention the exact cost of the Merlins in the review.

John151

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2005, 01:21 am »
Quote from: tvad4

I came away with the impression that this was actually a positive reinforcement of the quality of the electronics; that their excellent performance would shine when matched with much higher quality speakers. The Epiphony speakers appear to be the weak link, and this is valuable information to have from the review.

That was my take also.

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2005, 01:59 am »
1) Yes, the retail price of the Merlins is mentioned in the review;

2) The very fact that the speakers were compared to the Merlins; and the electronics were used with the Merlins; is a statement in and of itself.

I thought it was a very well done review; and Klaus should be proud.

Congratulations, Mr. Bunge!

:wink:

WEEZ

audioslave

review
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2005, 03:36 am »
Just read the review on the $1,500 system and must say that although favorable, I must agree with Klaus's response. I think Mickelson completely missed the strongest point on the Epiphonies...that is they image like a mofo! I heard them at HE2004 and was simply amazed with the way the music flowed and the fact that it recreated a nice BIG soundstage. I really liked that it was not so easy to tell where the music was coming from such tiny little boxes! In this world of high-dollar hifi, I am most impressed with Klaus's ability to provide highly synergistic systems that are bang for the buck! 8)

Carlos Villegas

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2005, 02:26 pm »
Hi Guys,

I read the Mickelson's review of the Odyssey $1,500.- system in Soundstage. I know very well this system because I'm the happy owner of a Khartago amplifier, an Etesian preamp, a Spendor S3/5 speakers and a Rotel RCD 1070. I'm agreed with the general comments but I found some errors in the review.

Mickelson wrote .....

The Etesian preamp is a relatively new Odyssey product -- Klaus still hasn't posted information on it on his website. It's a bare-bones active solid-state preamp with four sets of inputs and one set of outputs, all single ended. The knobs on the front are enormous, and while their action is a little coarse, they do what they're supposed to -- switch between inputs and control the volume. Around back are the power switch and IEC power-cord inlet. The Etesian measures 18"W x 8 1/4"D x 4 1/4"H and weighs 10 pounds. It includes no remote control or phono stage.

The Etesian is a passive preamplifier, not active. In accordance with Odyssey web site the weight is 10 kg., not 10 pounds.

Mickelson wrote .......

The Epiphony is the smallest of four Odyssey stereo speakers -- it measures 12"H x 7"W x 12"D and weighs 18 pounds -- and as such it is also the least expensive. It mates a 1" soft-dome tweeter to a 5" woofer in a rear-ported cabinet.

In accordance with Odyssey web site the Epiphony speaker has a Ø6" woofer, not Ø5".

The information of the Etesian weight and the diameter of the Epiphony's woofer are "pecata minuta", but the electronic stage of the Etesian preamp are very important. As I told you before, I'm happy with my system, but there are a lot of audiophiles that hate the passive preamps.

There is a bypass option for home theater application in the Etesian preamp didn't mention in the review. This option is very important for those guys who want to listen stereo music in HT system.

Best regards,

Carlos

Brian

Price of Merlins
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2005, 05:31 pm »
Hi guys

Looks like I overlooked the mention of the price of the Merlins everytime I went through the review - my mistake :oops:

Brian

TheeeChosenOne

Re: review
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:20 pm »
Quote from: audioslave
Just read the review on the $1,500 system and must say that although favorable, I must agree with Klaus's response. I think Mickelson completely missed the strongest point on the Epiphonies...that is they image like a mofo! I heard them at HE2004 and was simply amazed with the way the music flowed and the fact that it recreated a nice BIG soundstage. I really liked that it was not so easy to tell where the music was coming from such tiny little boxes! In this world of high-dollar hifi, I am most impressed with Klaus's ability to provide highly synergistic systems that are bang for the buck! 8)

Bingo.