Brian Wilson's 'Smile'...what the hell to make of it?

TheChairGuy

It's either the most childish prather since the Teletubbies (if you don't know who they are, you ain't got kids under 3)...or this guy's a genius of major proportions.

On my 3rd listen now, I thinking more genius than infantile now.

A wild ride on the music side this one is; sonics (for a commercial release) not bad, either.

ohenry

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2005, 06:28 pm »
Hey, good timing on this one.  I've been so curious about this release, but don't have the guts to buy it as I'm not a big Beach Boys fan and I have too many musical mistakes in my closet.  

The intriguing part is from my understanding, it's a completion of a languished project.  Was it languishing for good reason (other than Mr. Wilson's demons)?  :)

It'll be intersting to see what folks think of it...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2005, 07:30 pm »
If Brian Wilson had a vocal prime, this disc shows he's well past it.  But, the melodies are kinda' haunting in an updated-Beach Boys way.

It's an odd disc to be sure....the last time I was this perplexed in categorizing an artist as genius or plain ole' oddball was a couple discs back from Philip Glass.

It is getting more interesting with further listening, tho.... :)

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2005, 07:33 pm »
As a qualifying statement I have several thousand CDs in my collection.

1)  I buy a lot of things
2)  I don't listen to the same thing very often

Having said that, I have listened to smile more often than I have several other new CDs and many times more than the only other Beach Boy CD that I have (Pet Sounds).  

It's "fun" type music, well worth listening to often, but not an "audiophile" test record.  I don't play it to "show off" my system or as serious listening music, but it's great for setting a mood  8)

Bwanagreg

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:04 pm »
I carried Smile around in my car for several weeks - it's great road trip music. My 9 year old daughter loves it. The BB's have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Personally I don't think Smile is anywhere near the level of Pet Sounds, but the expanded version of Good Vibrations is worth it by itself.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:17 pm »
Well if nothing else it has Surf's UP, and Good Vibrations to anchor it.

The aswer to your question is yes.  Brian is both a Genius and an Odd-Ball (kind of an Odd Ball Genius)

I used to hang with the "Boys" a bit and Brian was a real trip.

I have to agree that some of the material is weird, but some of it sounds great.  I had heard tapes of it back in the mid 70s, in a hotel room in St. Louis (strangely enough)

Intro Harmony, is classic B-Boys and what they do best, and I might say I have demo'd my system with that cut a time or two.

But the beginning of "Good Vibrations" is a preamble to a teen anthem, that was always well received in any B-Boys concert I ever attended (and I have probably been to 50 or so)

And Surf's UP, is the call to California and the freedom of the Pacific Ocean.

To be honest, I don't listen to the whole CD.  I catch about 1/2 the cuts, but they are great.

Tabascosauce

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2005, 11:28 pm »
I too was sceptical when I heard this was to be released.  It had every hallmark of self-indulgence by an aging rock legend.

I bought it on the recommendation of friends and loved it.  It made "Uncut" magazine's album of the year, and deservedly so in my view.

I've heard some MP3s of the original tapes, and the new recording is much better sonically.  I also saw Brain WIlson perform this live recently, and it was in my top 5 concerts I've attended.

My only regret is not holding out to buy the vinyl version.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2005, 03:50 am »
I LOVE the later 70's Beach Boys stuff, especially Surf's Up and Holland.  I play them a lot.  But I could never get into Pet Sounds, and I can't get into this official version of Smile (even though Smiley Smile, the rougher pieces to this concept, from late 70's, is good).  Brian's a genius alright, but I can't get past his weaker voice and the pristine production that seems to lack something.  Dunno, it's just me.

Ted

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2005, 07:02 pm »
Very weak voice he has now....he's practically doing nothing more than talking thru it - William Shatner like  :wink:

But, the melodies and particular Beachy sound is more inviting on each listen.

R_burke

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2005, 08:27 pm »
Quote from: tvad4

I disagree completely. I saw him perform "Smile" at Disney Hall last year and he was in excellent voice and spirits.

Wasn't there, but could this be a case of using of ProTools? :nono:  I've heard interviews with him and his voice isn't what it once was by a long shot.

IMO smile is an excellent effort, but his voice has gone down hill, but then again whose hasn't after 40 years

sleepkyng

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2005, 09:40 pm »
i think it's a masterpiece, if you compare it to songwriting and pop music of this era, what competes with it?

R_burke

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2005, 10:00 pm »
Did you see the live show? Are you a pro live mixer with firsthand experience of using ProTools for this purpose?

You're scolding me with that ridiculous finger wagging emoticon, and suggesting his singing was embellished or helped by Pro Tools? Prove this and I'll accede to your allegation. Otherwise, I stand by my personal observations.

The "Smile" tour, and Brian Wilson's performance, was universally acclaimed in glowing reviews published in "The London Times", "Time Magazine", "Newsweek", and "T ...

I stated I wasn't there, but I'm curious as to how your being there prevented him from using any kind of audio enhancements.

Your personal observations are exactly that,  personal observations, and I stand by my personal observations, his voice has gone down hill in the last 40 years, which is to be expected.  A simple comparison between older Beach Boy recordings and Smile will attest to his vocal deterioration.

None the less, I still think Smile is an excellent release and have stated so several times.

R_burke

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2005, 10:41 pm »

I disagree completely. I saw him perform "Smile" at Disney Hall last year and he was in excellent voice and spirits. In fact, I was stunned at how good he sounded.

I stand corrected I should have asked how you defined "excellent" and asked about "how good he sounded" in comparison to what.  You obviously are hung up on my suggestion that he might have enhanced his voice.  Maybe my issue was with your definition of excellent as you didn't provide a means of determining what you considered excellent to be.  So rather than argue about what he did or didn't do, what is your criteria for claiming someone to be in excellent voice?  Sounded just like the record, sounded better than I've ever heard him (and how many times you've heard him live) or was it just an emotion?

R_burke

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2005, 11:22 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the show, wished I could have seen it.  

I haven't seen Brian Wilson solo and only saw the Beach Boys a long time ago (late 60's).  Saw them several times and always enjoyed the harmonies.  

My only current reference is recordings and I still prefer the vocals on the older Beach Boys over Smile, but much prefer the music on Smile to the older Beach Boys.  The bottom line is that we both seem to like Smile for whatever reasons.  Good enough for me.

ohenry

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2005, 12:07 am »
Looks like this could be a good album to try after all.  It sounds fun and maybe a little quirky.  I'll see about that vinyl version... :D

Or, maybe I should wait for the live album to see how shitty he sounds. (just kidding) :rotflmao:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2005, 03:39 am »
I dunno how much of a 'fan' you were of the 'Boys, R Burke, but Wilson was far from the strongest member of the band vocally.  Mike Love and Dennis Wilson did most of the heavy lifting, vocally, along with Alan Jardain on a few songs.  Granted, some of my very favorite Beach Boys songs were sung by Brian (eg Don't Worry Baby) but I think Dennis Wilson was the biggest element of their harmonies.  

Regardless of what form he's in now, I'd love to see him.  And I'll be picking up Smile this weekend. 8)

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2005, 02:42 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I dunno how much of a 'fan' you were of the 'Boys, R Burke, but Wilson was far from the strongest member of the band vocally.  Mike Love and Dennis Wilson did most of the heavy lifting, vocally, along with Alan Jardain on a few songs.  Granted, some of my very favorite Beach Boys songs were sung by Brian (eg Don't Worry Baby) but I think Dennis Wilson was the biggest element of their harmonies.  

Regardless of what form he's in now, I'd love to see him.  And I'll be picking up Smile this weekend. 8)

Hi Rob,

I think you meant to say "Carl" Wilson.  Dennis could hardly sing sometimes due to "hard living".

However on most songs Mike was the lead vocal and Brian, Carl and Al were the "falsetto" voices.

But you are correct that Brian let Carl do (in concert) many of what were his parts on the records.

Plus Carl had to do them when Brian didn't tour, for a while.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2005, 07:18 pm »
Yeah, I meant Carl.  Sorry, too damned many Wilsons. :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jun 2005, 07:58 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Yeah, I meant Carl.  Sorry, too damned many Wilsons. :lol:

That's what Chyna Phillips said :lol:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2005, 03:42 am »
Hey, I was just reading on page 157 in the latest Music Direct catalog that the vocals in 'Smile' was were captured at Sunset Sound using a period tube console.  

I'm no fan of tubes (yech!) of any sort in the recording or playback chain, that could significantly bias my opinion of this CD.  fyi.  Those of you that like your bottles, may find this album much more appealling.  

Nonetheless, I'm still groovin' to it...tho I think I'd be bopping a bit more to it  recorded in high quality, simply miked and not overprocessed, in SS.

C'est la vie.