Status of 41hz amps?

acresm22

Status of 41hz amps?
« on: 1 Jun 2005, 04:57 pm »
Hey Wayne, any updates on the Amp-3 project? Are you taking orders, or still in the R&D phase? Also, have you decided if you'll be offering completed Amp-3 boards by themselves? Thanks!

Wayne1

Status of 41hz amps?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2005, 04:02 pm »
The 41 HZ amps are still being evaluated.

I have sent the first one I built out on a short tour. It went to HornFest in NC.

It was in California for a bit and now is headed to the Midwest.

So far it has been greeted with good reviews.

I do have some projects to finish up.

I should be offering completed amps by late July, early August.

I do not believe I will be offering any amp boards at that time.

Dmason

Status of 41hz amps?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2005, 06:10 pm »
I just completed an audition of the AMP3 and am putting my notes together for a synopsis of this. These are some of my key impressions:

One of the most even-toned amplifiers I have yet heard, and it furthers my observation that every Tripath chip has its own sonic within the Tripath signature sound, the AMP3 configuration is no different with respect to this, in fact, I find it interesting at this point just how much they all do differ and vary.

With a tube pre amp this baby really sings! I tried it with a Tone Monster, the outstanding SinglePower head amp equipped with pre-out, using Octal tubes that gave it a truly phat sound, while retaining all its characteristic Tripath ability to "unbundle" the individual instruments and place them into their respective planes of existence within the recording venue. With the Octals feeding it, the AMP3 had a serious ability to dig deep and provide a very full perspective even at very low, after midnight type volume levels, not that common a feature in amps, I have found. This particular configuration excels with a good tube pre amp, and this is my most lasting impression, and Octals do "it" in a large way. A stunning combination. Anyone with a deHavilland or Mapletree Octal tube pre would be highly impressed with this little weapon, and should absolutely make the effort to try it.

Placing the amp on a dummy load to hasten the burn in was fortunate, as I got to hear a "mature" unit, and was able to end-run the long process that has become so well known, thanks for that Wayne.

As a convert to battery powered T amps direct coupled to, wide range drivers as the key element to my sound, I can say the AMP3 hits the bullseye; really clean job, Wayne.   More to come...

holyghostfire21

Status of 41hz amps?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2005, 10:25 pm »
Hey Dmason,

Since you have heard almost every configuation of the famous tripath chip, I was wondering if you could post a comparsion between the Clari-t amp and the AMP3 in terms of sound & dynamic differences. Look forward to your reply, Kevin.

albee

Status of 41hz amps?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2005, 04:04 pm »
What is the power rating of the Amp 3?  Thanks.

Wayne1

Status of 41hz amps?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2005, 04:15 pm »
The Tripath 2021B chipset is typically rated:

2x13W @ 4Ω, 0.05% THD+N @14.5V
2x15.5 W@ 4Ω, 0.1% THN +N
2x25W @ 4Ω, 10% THD+N
2x14W @ 8Ω, 10.0% THD+N

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Status of 41hz amps?
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2005, 04:36 pm »
Hello Wayne,
    I should be offering completed amps by late July, early August.
    [/list:u] Still on track ? Thanks.
      Chris[/list:u]

Wayne1

Status of 41hz amps?
    « Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2005, 05:07 pm »
    I should have another Amp 3 done for next week. I do have some new ideas about coupling caps.

The Amp 1 my be pushed back to middle/late August.

I will be going on Vacation from July 22- August 1. That does interfer with the time table a bit. :wink:

DeadFish

Status of 41hz amps?
    « Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2005, 02:23 am »
    As a reference to you folk reading this thread and watching this topic, I wanted to refer you to a seperate thread I posted concerning my experience with Wayne's Amp 3.
    If you didn't catch it:
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21714.msg192860#192860&sid=10a52fb506dc4a1d48f928633c3a1c3e
    Is this okay?
    Hope you can appreciate it.

Regards,
    DeadFish