Teacs for $100 available

nodiak

Teacs for $100 available
« on: 31 May 2005, 03:53 pm »
I just ordered mine. Planning on Vinnie mod soon.

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.933/it.A/id.2206/.f

Don

miklorsmith

WooHoo
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2005, 11:44 pm »
Just ordered mine.  It won't be sent out immediately, but I'll be a third-timer pretty soon!

What does a full-throttle Teac mod run these days?  Should I avail myself of some of the new capacitor ideas running rampant hereabouts?  My dual-mono Clari-T has Blackgates.  Any suggestions or foreknowledge to help an aspiring (vino) drunkard along?  

What other rambunctious ideas are fermenting, grapesmasher?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: WooHoo
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2005, 12:14 am »
Quote from: miklorsmith
Just ordered mine.  It won't be sent out immediately, but I'll be a third-timer pretty soon!

What does a full-throttle Teac mod run these days?  Should I avail myself of some of the new capacitor ideas running rampant hereabouts?  My dual-mono Clari-T has Blackgates.  Any suggestions or foreknowledge to help an aspiring (vino) drunkard along?  

What other rambunctious ideas are fermenting, grapesmasher?

I just ordered a Teac today as well...for me!  :mrgreen:  

The latest and greated Red Wine Teac mods are here:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/Teac_AL700P_mods.html

I am using Auricaps for the input coupling caps (which I am now offering as mods for the Clari-T, as they work so well!).  I am thinking of trying SoniCaps for this location next...

I have also started tweaking the gain, which works very well with the Monica 2 (it has a lower output voltage of 0.7V).  The boost in gain is also great when using a passive preamp.  I finished Dmason's last night and had a great listening session with it fed by a Monica 2, and the new USB DAC (which will be posted sometime tomorrow  :wink: )  I shipped it out today will all the latest goodies, and Dan should be receiving it on Monday.

I can't wait to bring the Red Wine Teac over to Louis' to hear it with his new Hemp Floorstanders in his new listening room.  He told me that the Lotus is driving them like it did back at the Montreal show, but with even more balls with the Hemp Floorstander!  I can only imagine with the 30-watt Teac can do with them, or with something like Dmason's DarkStars.  

Things are really starting to unwind...  :hyper:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:15 am »
I guess it time to give this Teac a listen...I've placed an order for one as well. Mods later down the road....thanks for the link !! :beer:

eric the red

Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2005, 10:11 am »
Is the Teac hard to come by for that price ala the Sharp EX-111 for $79.00 before it went away? Is the Teac discontinued? I've already got a second NIB Sharp waiting at home to be sent to Vinnie and am thinking about getting a Teac to try it out (although I do not own a stand alone CDP anymore :mrgreen: ).

DeadFish

Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2005, 01:50 pm »
Thanks for the tip, nodiak!

Finally enough to get me off mine arse and try something else in front of my Altecs.
I've been real happy with the SI amp, and about ecstatic hearing the ClariT briefly.  However, knowing that the 19s are equally at home with more power, I'd been a little nervous about comitting to the low power.
Now I have a chance to hear a little more 'oomph', and to hear what kind of magic Vinnie can work with these things.

Looking forward to the listening!

Now, I have a reason to watch for the mailman again!  :wink:

Regards,
DeadFish

Dmason

Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2005, 03:39 pm »
One thing I have found over the last few years of listening to and owning various T amps is that although they all share a similar sonic genetic, they all are totally unique, within these parameters. It is amazing, really. They ALL sound different to me, but have the same slightly weird combination of warmth AND presence, and forwardness yet smooth and liquid, all at the same time.

Now that Vinnie has learned so much about their behavior and what to do to optimize the sound, specializing in battery power, it is one of the greatest opportunities for everyone to enjoy some seriously world class sonics, for a very reasonable investment. Three years ago I never, ever would have imagined this kind of sound for this kind of dough. The Reali-T for example, a study in using all the very best bits, and an optimal coupling of source and amp, yields this extraordinary sound that completely takes over, when listening. People coming over who might not even take notice of the fact the stereo is playing will stop and say, "does that ever sound CLEAR." Or, "is that ever sweet sounding." Very unlike them, so noticeable is the sound quality.

Now with the HotRod Teac coming, with the same all out design approach taken with respect to component parts, to power a couple less efficient speakers I own and love, I cannot imagine what the TA2050 will sound like, I know it will be stunning, but I also expect it to be different from the RealiT, which has this gravitas, warm lower mid, upper bass sound that every day reminds me of high dollar single ended tube amps using the big Russian transmitter tubes, the 6c33c, the H833A, like the Wavac, Audio Mirror, and others, but for thousands and thousands of dollars less, and no tubes, no hassles, the best of all worlds, really. Just an amazing product.

samplesj

24v vs 28v
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:27 pm »
How much does running these from battery at 24v lower the power output?  Aren't they spec'd at 28v?

I'm really interested with the SLA path, but I don't want to kill the extra power this has over the Sonic Impact.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Re: 24v vs 28v
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:54 pm »
Quote from: samplesj
How much does running these from battery at 24v lower the power output?  Aren't they spec'd at 28v?

I'm really interested with the SLA path, but I don't want to kill the extra power this has over the Sonic Impact.

Hi samplesj,

When fully charged, the voltage is around 26.2V, and after around 10 hours of use (into 4-ohm loads), the voltage will be down to 24V and should be charged at that point (or sooner).

Regarding power, IMO this unit actually sounds MORE powerful with the SLA batteries than the stock power supply...more punch, better transient attack, and of course, removal of grain.  The SLA batteries have very low internal resistance, and can supply a lot of current quickly when needed.  Combine this with the capacitance increase that I wire directly to the Tripath chip, and you have one monster 30-watt amp.  :drums:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2005, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Hi samplesj,

When fully charged, the voltage is around 26.2V, and after around 10 hours of use (into 4-ohm loads), the voltage will be down to 24V and should be charged at that point (or sooner).

Regarding power, IMO this unit actually sounds MORE powerful with the SLA batteries than the stock power supply...more punch, better transient attack, and of course, removal of grain.  The SLA batteries have very low internal resistance, and can supply a lot of current quickly when needed.  Combine this with Combine this with the capacitance increase that I wire directly to the Tripath chip, and you have one monster 30-watt amp.

hi vinnie, i am sure what yure saying is true.  but i'd certainly love to hear someone's comments camparing this w/one of yer modded amps running at 28-30v, from a highly regulated ac-powered dc supply.  i bet it would sound even *better*...   give up a tiny bit on the ultimate lowered noisefloor for a bit more dynamics... :wink:

regards,

doug s., ever the thorn in yer side!  :lol:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2005, 10:01 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
hi vinnie, i am sure what yure saying is true.  but i'd certainly love to hear someone's comments camparing this w/one of yer modded amps running at 28-30v, from a highly regulated ac-powered dc supply.  i bet it would sound even *better*...   give up a tiny bit on the ultimate lowered noisefloor for a bit more dynamics... :wink:

regards,

doug s., ever the thorn in yer side!  :lol:

Doug,

I do not believe that SLA battery power gives up anything in terms of dynamics vs AC power supplies.  SLA has very low series resistance and inductance, and can supply current very quickly.  If you ever get a chance to listen to the Clari-T or battery-modded Teac, you'll hear that the dynamics are there in spades!  Why would you bet that an ac/dc power supply would give more dynamics?  

IMHO, it will cost significantly more to obtain a very clean linear regulated AC/DC power suppy that can come close to clean battery power, and it will probably also take expensive line conditioners (some of them are claimed to rob dynamics...lots of series inductance).   As you mentioned in the other thread, this is highly dependent on the quality of the power in your house...

Regards,

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2005, 10:06 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
...Why would you bet that an ac/dc power supply would give more dynamics?...

i think running the chip at higher woltage than is done w/batteries, is the main reason dynamics would be better...

your point about clean ac power being dependent on location is well taken.  as far as costs to clean ac power, again, i think this is location & system dependent, and dependent on whether yure willing to shop for used equipment.  certainly, buying new ac power cleaning equipment can be wery costly, even when staying away from audiophile-typ stuff.  :wink:

regards,

doug s.

Dmason

Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2005, 11:35 pm »
Doug,

I'm interested in knowing why you think the variance of ~2V will make the "better" difference in dynamics? I would like to point out that Vinnie is a minted EE, and has devoted much of the last year to this stuff. I'm interested in why you are resistive to these ideas. Inwuiring minds want to know.  :|

doug s.

• makin' music
Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2005, 01:44 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
Doug,

I'm interested in knowing why you think the variance of ~2V will make the "better" difference in dynamics? I would like to point out that Vinnie is a minted EE, and has devoted much of the last year to this stuff. I'm interested in why you are resistive to these ideas. Inwuiring minds want to know.  :|

only cuz some folks have said they've gotten better performance w/higher woltages.  no question it's mere speculation on my part.

regards,

doug s.

Dmason

Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2005, 02:47 pm »
"Cuz some folks say,"  vs. a focused and unbiased investigation by a licensed electrical engineer searching for an optimal situation for performance. I don't think it has occurred to you that if it worked better on AC, we wouldnt likely be talking about batteries here. I think you need to give some credit to scientific inclinations, DougS.

I'm still wondering -why- the resistive attitude? "Cuz some folks say," doesnt explain that, I'm afraid, and frankly, I sense an ulterior motive, rightly or wrongly.

doug s.

• makin' music
Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2005, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
"Cuz some folks say,"  vs. a focused and unbiased investigation by a licensed electrical engineer searching for an optimal situation for performance. I don't think it has occurred to you that if it worked better on AC, we wouldnt likely be talking about batteries here. I think you need to give some credit to scientific inclinations, DougS.

I'm still wondering -why- the resistive attitude? "Cuz some folks say," doesnt explain that, I'm afraid, and frankly, I sense an ulterior motive, rightly or wrongly.

ulterior motive?  huh?   :o  other than the fact that i want better performance, & don't wanna use batteries, i can't think of anything.  i think ya have an overactive imagination.   :roll:  

but, now that ya mention ulterior motives, if anyone has read all yer posts on this site, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they came to the conclusion that you may have some financial interest with redwine audio.  especially now:  accusing someone who has been an active participant on this forum in all areas.  someone who has never been a cheerleader for any company... :wink:

doug s.

westcoast

Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2005, 03:37 pm »
:duel:

miklorsmith

Alright children!
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2005, 03:42 pm »
Enough!  Go to your rooms.

Dmason, as you know the contrarian view is valuable and has given rise to battery power as a viable, possibly preferable source of juice.  The fact that there is now a backlash against it validates the idea in some convoluted way.

Dougs, Dmason is a customer of RedWineAudio, not an agent.  There are many enthusiastic participants in this "new way".  Even if it's ultimately not better in every sense, it's a great time trying it out.  You should buy two Clari-T's and convert one to AC power and post back with results.

Fair?  Now, off I go to move.

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Alright children!
« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2005, 04:05 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
Enough!  Go to your rooms.

Dmason, as you know the contrarian view is valuable and has given rise to battery power as a viable, possibly preferable source of juice.  The fact that there is now a backlash against it validates the idea in some convoluted way.

Dougs, Dmason is a customer of RedWineAudio, not an agent.  There are many enthusiastic participants in this "new way".  Even if it's ultimately not better in every sense, it's a great time trying it out.  You should buy two Clari-T's and convert one to AC power and post back with results.

Fair?  Now, off I go to move.

hey, i know battery power is cool.  i yust wanna push the enwelope.  mebbe i am off base here - it certainly wouldn't be the 1st time!  :lol:

but the idea that i have some ulterior motives is patently ridiculous!!!  and, while i don't actually believe dmason is a troll for redwine audio, the "ulterior motives" accusation coming from him, is even more absurd.  i really do believe dmason is yust an excited cheerleader for something he really likes, nothing more.  mebbe he's so excited about it, he really  does think i have some ulterior motives.  hey dmason - relax!!!  :)

regards to all - you too, dmason!  :wink:

doug s.

Dmason

Teacs for $100 available
« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2005, 04:11 pm »
No, the one interest I have that eclipses music and audio, is Human Behavior, DougS. My work affords me a front row seat. My background gives me just enough insight to be dangerous to myself. I have seen ulterior motive all over the audio boards. I apologise if I have offended you, but it chafes me to witness what I see as your refusal to acknowledge the science all of this is based in. ..."I yust wanna push the enwelope...." -if you wish to be taken seriously, you may want to consider employing the grammar you know to be correct. (And accurate.)

Cheerleader: I think not. Laughable. Too many others are discovering what I have. More like Acid Test, if you know me, which you do not. More like, "new toy." For the price of a good pair of Meshplates, I can have one of these. I can afford the tubes, I prefer the new stuff. Pretty compelling. There's this new reality. And then, there's you.

I think Miklorsmiths' suggestion is best. Perhaps you should be the one to do a new control study. I have. Did you know that? Three times now. Same observation, hypothesis and conclusion. The question is, does it mean anything to you?  That is a rhetorical question.