ASPEN HAS OS PROBLEMS - SEND MAIL VIA AUDIOCIRCLE

AKSA

« on: 3 Apr 2003, 01:21 pm »
Hi Guys,

Subject says it all;  anyone wishing to contact me, please do so using private messaging within Audiocircle.

Outlook Express seems to have gone south after my daughter ripped a few MP3s of Kaaza Lite.  Moral:  Don't let your children use ripping software!   :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2003, 02:23 pm »
what version of Kazaa lite Hugh?
some of the versions have some bits of spyware still inside them...
try running ad-aware and clean out the trash ;-)

you never know, it could clean out the 'bug'

I've been using kazaa lite for a few years without a hitch...

Greg Erskine

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2003, 09:35 pm »
Hugh said:

Moral: Don't let your children use ripping software!

Should read: Don't let ANYONE use a PC essential for business, unless you've just made a complete image backup.  :wink:

Don't you just hate smart arses. That reminds me, when did I last do a backup.  :?:

Shutting down..... backup in progress.

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2003, 01:02 am »
Hi Glen

Two days back I ran Adware 6;  the PC was clean last night.  After 'Ripping Yarns', there were 6 spyware programs, one infected folder, and one infected file.  I don't actually know the Kazaa Lite version, but yes, I noticed it's full of spyware, just like RealAudio.  I cleaned them all out last night, checked ZoneLabs to make sure nothing had the wrong permissions, and then after trying to reload the entire OS, realized late last night that the inbox was probably corrupted and it was only this preventing OE from opening.

Finding the MS OE folders is entertaining.  They are more embedded than Baghdad journalists!  However, this morning I renamed Inbox.dbx Inbox.dbA (of course!!) and on reloading OE it created another fresh inbox.  Now it all works fine, but not without losing a 47Mbyte Inbox with just under 290 messages, all of which I'd seen and reacted to, but all of which I wanted to keep for various reasons.

Needless to say I am white with fury over this episode  :evil: ;  my PC is obviously business critical, and I've told my daughters NEVER AGAIN!!   :guns:

If someone came into the house uninvited and trashed your email Inbox, you'd regard it as a criminal act, and bay for their blood.  With family it's different, but does not make for family harmony.   :argue:

I have expensive cable access, and this is a bandwidth prize amongst the youth.  But why anyone would want to listen to eviscerated, 'virtual' MP3 music is quite beyond me.    :stupid:

I regularly back up, so it's not so bad.  BTW, does anyone here know how to restore a corrupted OE Inbox?

Cheers,

Hugh

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2003, 04:16 am »
Sorry to hear about your PC troubles Hugh, but I love the term you used for MP3's - eviscerated. If there was ever a perfect word to describe what they can do to music, that is it.  :D

I finally built our son his own PC so he wouldn't use his mothers or mine. It was worth the money just for the peace of mind knowing that I won't find unwanted additions to our computers.  8)

Mike

Pleb Plebian

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2003, 06:18 am »
Hi Hugh
Drop me a line - may be able to help
Cheers
-D

PhilW

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2003, 09:33 am »
My condolences Hugh ...I have one of those music loving daughters that loves the speed of our broadband dsl connection. We solved our problem by sharing the connection via a wireless router(about $50 for the router)..but you've probably thought of this already.

Two thoughts on your OE problem:

1) If you have Outlook 98 or Outlook 2000 import your Inbox from OE into one of the former Outlook programs. Then switch to OE and import relevant mail from Outlook program into OE.

or try

2) http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx">This program.

Hope this helps.    

Phil 8)

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2003, 11:31 am »
Phil,

My hearty thanks!    :D

I downloaded the MS program, and am working over my corrupted OE6 Inbox.  So far, of the 290 emails lost, I have (so the program says) recovered 150!!    :thankyou:

I have always wanted a program just like this;  I have lost inboxes before.

My sincere thanks.  Problem seems to be solved.......

Cheers,

Hugh

andrewbee

Re: ASPEN HAS OS PROBLEMS - SEND MAIL VIA AUDIOCIRCLE
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2003, 09:15 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Hi Guys,

Subject says it all;  anyone wishing to contact me, please do so using private messaging within Audiocircle.

Outlook Express seems to have gone south after my daughter ripped a few MP3s of Kaaza Lite.  Moral:  Don't let your children use ripping software!   :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh my dear friend,

Why not just buy a Mac?
 :wink:

Sorry, I could not resist

Andrew :P  :P

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2003, 11:04 pm »
Andrew,

I could respond elegantly here:  Why not buy a Citroen?  Lovely car, everything works, looks great, performs impeccably, durable.......

The Mac is in this category.   But Macintosh has 3% of the market.  And consumer products are about market share, and if I need a network card for my PC, or a sound card, or a little service, it's peanuts.  Granted, I need service twice as often as if I had a Mac, but what about the software?  I can choose from an Aladdin's cave of software with the PC, and much of 'free';  not so with the Mac.  I need to be a dealer (grin!!) to enjoy that privilege.   :mrgreen:

The other thing I am amused by is compatibility.  It seems about half the time when I see Macs operating they are running a Windows emulation program.........  Hmmm.   :nono:

But I admit, I follow Jobs with great interest.  A kind of lesser Gates, interesting guy.

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2003, 12:56 am »
Andrew,

I could respond elegantly here:  Why not buy a Citroen?  Lovely car, everything works, looks great, performs impeccably, durable.......

The Mac is in this category.   But Macintosh has 3% of the market.  And consumer products are about market share, and if I need a network card for my PC, or a sound card, or a little service, it's peanuts.  Granted, I need service twice as often as if I had a Mac, but what about the software?  I can choose from an Aladdin's cave of software with the PC, and much of 'free';  not so with the Mac.  I need to be a dealer (grin!!) to enjoy that privilege.   :mrgreen:

The other thing I am amused by is compatibility.  It seems about half the time when I see Macs operating they are running a Windows emulation program.........  Hmmm.   :nono:

But I admit, I follow Jobs with great interest.  A kind of lesser Gates, interesting guy.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh, you left out triple the cost for half the speed ;-)
oh and can you DIY a mac??

My Dad has just retired from his job in Design and he swears by his mac... but he will not use it for anything but design work...
It's the programs that have problems, not the hardware on the PC.

andyr

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2003, 05:12 am »
Andrew,

Cheers,

Hugh
Aah, Hugh, I had a Citroen once.  I was "sold" by the air suspension - which absolooootely was fantastic!  But, after 3 years, it suddenly decided not to start in the Mt Buller carpark (after a weekend's skiing!).  So I had to get it towed back to the Melbourne dealer, as the RACV mechanic at Mt Buller didn't have the faintest idea what was wrong!

For the next 2 years, things continually went wrong so, eventually (when the aircon went) I sold it ( so bang goes your theory about reliability ... of the later models, anyway!.  And because Citroen has 3% of the market share, I got 3% of its value as a tradein!  What a disaster.

Regards,

Andy

PhilW

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2003, 05:48 am »
Phil,

My hearty thanks!    :D

...  Problem seems to be solved.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Your welcome Hugh,   :thumb:

I'm glad that things are looking up.

And in case you want to consider  :D  a backup strategy read http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/">this page and then download http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx"> OE Backup.

Best regards,

Phil

AKSA

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2003, 10:44 am »
Thanks Phil,

I will do so immediately.

The repair program produced about 950 files from 290 lost messages;  most were recovered, a few were not, but about six hundred of those files were 2Mbyte garbled dinosaurs which I deleted, leaving with most of the missing information.

The repair took about 36 hours, with the PC running continuously over two days and one night.......  Wow!!

Cheers,

Hugh

andrewbee

« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2003, 04:59 pm »
Andrew,

The Mac is in this category.   snip>

Hugh, this ones for you ...  

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=63

:wink:  :wink:

I just brought it home on Thursday to replace the old Powermac G4.  :thumb:

Have a great day, oops night Hugh!
Enough of my teasing, back to stealth mode.

All the best

Andrew

peranders

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2003, 06:01 pm »
Andrew,

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh, you have right in some senses but you are also quite uninformed. Mac uses the same hardware as PC in many cases (all cases), PCI cards, USB, FireWire, Bluetooth etc. Check my home page for observing what can be done with a Mac.
A few areas has no good programs, pcb cad, progamming MCU's. My pcb cad is unfortunatly dead.

A real advantage: No virus! And that's true. All viruses are made for Micrsoft Outlook on PC (not Mac), VB and Windows and the fact that the harddisk is named "C".

AKSA

« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2003, 09:45 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Yes, I want one;  particularly appealing is the statue, the speakers are fascinating!  I'd certainly have a Mac, but I'm discouraged by the software availability and cost.......

Per-Anders, yes, I'm uninformed.  I'm a consumer of computer equipment, not an enthusiast, and my attitude is probably typical.  The virus issue is a great advantage, I agree.  I was surprised so many bits are swap out replacements for PC bits...

Cheers,

Hugh

U4EA

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2003, 04:03 pm »
Another option is web based e-mail.  They back it up, scan for viruses and everything else you would normally do.  I have used Yahoo (for example) they have never corrupted my inbox or let a virus into my system.  I have used them for 8 years.

THis also in effect isolates your e-mail system from your kids.  They can mess it up but all you need is a working browser to get to your e-mails.  Another bonus is e-mail is available from anywhere.  There are many services offering a full array of options and storage sizes.  Fastmail.fm, Yahoo,  Netscape mail etc.