Anyone use Ideal-Lume Standard behind prejection TV?

Audio-Enthusiast

I was wondering if anyone out there has used, is using or looked into using an Ideal-Lume light behind a rear projection TV.  I have recently purchased AV-Essentials (calibration DVD) and learned that installing an indirect light (bulb of 6500K w/ good CRI) behind the TV flooding the front wall would provide just the right amount of ambient light (<10% of max light output of display).  Doing so, supposibly will reduce eye strain, give the illusion of better colour rendition and blacks from your display.

Does anyone out there know how well this product really works?  The Perfect Vision magazine has recommended it in the past and is about $55 US.

All comments welcome.  Thanks  :P

Here is the site:  http://cinemaquestincn.goemerchant7.com/index.cgi?PageToView=catalog&Department=70357&Cartid=95161116806002&Merchant=cinemaquestincn&ExpandedDepts=

Audio-Enthusiast

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2005, 04:11 am »
For those of you who don't know exacly what this product is, see a picture below:

http://www.goemerchant-commerce2.com/StoreData/c/cinemaquestincn/Images/P10_IL_4501_4.jpg

Ok, so I took the plunge and ordered the idel-lume standard and the filter kit  directlly online from:  http://www.cinemaquestinc.com

I'll try to keep you all posted (with before and after pictures, feedback...)  I'll keep my fingers crossed  :?:

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2005, 07:50 am »
Quote from: Audio-Enthusiast
I'll try to keep you all posted (with before and after pictures, feedback...)  I'll keep my fingers crossed  :?:

I'm certainly curious to hear how that works for you. I've heard about 'em quite some time ago. Just never heard of anyone I knew  actually using one.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2005, 07:56 pm »
Heh, I've been reading about this myself and considering it.

I wonder how people should set it up properly? I have my Sony KD-34XBR960 on a cabinet that just happens to fit the TV perfectly. Where do they recommend you place that light? Anywhere behind the set? Even on the ground?

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2005, 08:42 pm »
I have two of them behind my RPTV.  They work wonders.  Try watching TV with them, then without them.  I have them controlled by X10 so that I can turn them on and off from my remote.  Avia has a screen that you can use to compare your backlight with (5-10% of brightness).

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2005, 08:49 pm »
Oh yeah, I just set mine on the ground behind my TV/matching stand.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2005, 01:35 am »
Quote from: ctviggen

It's just that easy, huh? I may go ahead and do this, then.

Audio-Enthusiast

Using X-10 to turn on and off from remote?
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2005, 12:13 pm »
I have them controlled by X10 so that I can turn them on and off from my remote.

How do you do this?  I haven't recived my lamp in yet but I'm wondering how I could control it using my remote.  I have a learning remote that can send out macros if that helps any.

What is this X-10?  What does it do? How is it pluged in?  and of course how much does it cost?

Tks

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2005, 12:53 pm »
X10 is a way of sending commands over power lines in your house.  For this purpose, I use an IR to X10 converter:

http://www.smarthome.com/4040.html

For these lamps, you have to use an "appliance module":

http://www.smarthome.com/2001.html

You have to use an appliance module, which is on/off only, in order to control flourescent (sp?  I never remember how to spell that).  I also have several lamps that are dimmable:

http://www.smarthome.com/2000.html

I have a Pronto and have downloaded the codes to turn on and off these lights.   You assign each module a code (basically, a letter and a number).  You use the codes to turn everything on and off or to dim.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2005, 03:19 pm »

Question: Would this not be a fire hazard if I put one of these on carpeted ground?

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2005, 03:39 pm »
As for being a fire hazard, I would doubt it.  I've been using mine on the ground (wood or tile) for over 4 years now.  They only produce around 20 watts, which is miniscule.  If you're unsatisfied with this, you could always raise them off the carpet.

As an aside, I bought the original "pro" model, which was much cheaper when I bought it.  I tried to use the filters, but it turns out that the amount of light produced, particularly when placed on the floor and behind a 57 inch RPTV and matching stand, isn't much.  I ended up running two (a "pro" and a "regular") behind my system.  I did give another "regular" to my friend, and his system, with a much smaller TV, did require use of the filters.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2005, 07:02 pm »
As for being a fire hazard, I would doubt it.  I've been using mine on the ground (wood or tile) for over 4 years now.  They only produce around 20 watts, which is miniscule.  If you're unsatisfied with this, you could always raise them off the carpet.

As an aside, I bought the original "pro" model, which was much cheaper when I bought it.  I tried to use the filters, but it turns out that the amount of light produced, particularly when placed on the floor and behind a 57 inch RPTV and matching stand, is ...

I was looking for the measurements on the standard lume light and can't find them anywhere. I'd just like to have a ballpark idea of its length and "circumference" or width, so I know how much room it takes up.

This will help me make plans for setting it up properly.

jgubman

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2005, 08:46 pm »
Bob,

do you know if this product would work when the front wall is covered w/ dark green acoustic foam? I currently have a row of canned lights that are aimed behind the RPTV, but they really light up the entire front 3' feet (TV included), and are a little bright. I'd love to replace them w/ something like this product, but at a casual glance it looks like it's designed to work w/ a white or light colored wall.

thanks

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2005, 09:36 pm »
The specs are here:

http://cinemaquestincn.goemerchant7.com/index.cgi?PageToView=catalog&Department=70357&Cartid=95161116806002&Merchant=cinemaquestincn&ExpandedDepts=

Note that you can also get 6,500k bulbs (and fixtures) from Home Depot.  They might not be as good, though, particularly the lights.  I did use a HD light with my friends, after his Idealume light died.  

As for the back wall color, that is a problem for two reasons -- you can change the "temperature" that's produced (you want 6500k; you get something else), and one light might not be enough.  I've had these lights in several rooms.  I had them in a room near a window and that had blue window coverings.  I've had them against a wall that was a darker shade (blue?). For this wall, I bought cheap white fabric and hung it up. Currently, I have them in a room that's medium to dark grey.  I definitely think lighter is better in terms of the rear wall, but they seem to work OK with other color walls.  For instance, my current room might be too bright with too of them, even though the walls are grey (they also shine on the ceiling, which is white, and ceiling is definitely brighter).  The walls will change the effective color temperature. But, once you have lights behind the TV and realize what a benefit they are, it's hard to go back.

Audio-Enthusiast

Using X-10 to control things like my new Ideal-Lume...
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2005, 01:21 am »
ctviggen,

I looked into the X-10 controls.   First of all It's very simple and inexpensive way of controling the light. (or any other things for that matter).

Here is my consern.  The X-10 technology injects a signal over your existing house wiring (120VAC power)  I assume this will produce noise in the power line.  The site even states that sometime people need to ad noise isolator for certain appliences in the house...

I have gone to great lenghts in avoiding problems contributed by power.  I even wired a seperate 14 Ga electrical line back to my service panel on a seperate circuit for my system and even purchased a Monster Power Bar HTS MKII 2000.

I'm consern about the noise these types of devices would add to my home power.  If there was a simple RF control I could use for the light that doesn't use the x-10 technology that would be ideal (pun intended :lol: ).  It's realy to bad because these x-10 devices seem really interesting.

Thanks for the links.  I love to lean about new stuff.  

Cheers :lol:

ctviggen

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2005, 02:17 pm »
The site talks about putting filters on appliances, because the appliances inject noise into the system, which then kills the X10 signal. The X10 signal does travel over the AC lines. However, if all you do is turn on and off lights, the amount of time X10 travels over the lines is miniscule. The X10 signal exists only when turning on and off lights. That's it. Moreover, I use X10 all the time, and have my amps plugged directly into the outlet (no power filter), and cannot tell any difference when I send an X10 signal and when I don't. Note also that if your system is on a different phase than your lights, X10 will not get onto the phase your system is on, which means that X10 will never affect your system.

Personally, I think people in audio pay way too much attention to things that don't really matter.  If you want to help get rid of stuff on your power lines, put filters on all of your appliances.  These put way, way, way more junk onto the power lines than X10 does.  For instance, I have a small refrigerator near my system.  Last night, when the fridge cut off, the flourescent light near me, which was off, turned on for a brief time because of the amount of EMF produced by the fridge.  I plan on getting some cheap filters from Radio Shack for this and my other appliances (particularly my window AC units).  Furthermore, X10 runs only when you tell it to run.  Appliances choose when they want to run.  

Here's some info on how X10 works:
http://www.x10.com/pressroom/pressroom_coretechn_press.htm

cfraser

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2005, 12:11 am »
I have one of these behind my RPTV. I'm a DIY'er, so bear with me...

Try a Philips TL90 type bulb, F17T8/TL950 to be exact. Should be less than $10, don't have at HD but a good electrical store oughta carry them. These same bulbs, but house-marked, are sold for up to $80 for "specialty" fixtures. CRI is 97 or 98, forget temp but in the 6000K range, check on web. They *will* work in a regular fluorescent fixture, contrary to what you'll probably be told (work in all the ones I tried), but properly should be used in a fixture with an electronic ballast (what I use, less electrical noise too).

These put out plenty of light, and you may want to dim it until you get used to the effect. This is pretty high tech, so follow closely...you cover a portion of the bulb with a *nice* white toilet roll tube (or one from food wrap and cut to suit), it is loose enough to allow cooling, the tubes run a bit hot. I center the light (off floor) with my RPTV, gives a balanced lighting effect around the screen. If you have a white wall behind your TV you will want to hide a little more of the bulb to reduce the light output.

I also control this light by X-10, like all the other lights in the room. There's no constant noise in the AC line from this, only when transmitting. I use an HTM500 and the IR->X-10 converter (cheap), as already stated you use an appliance module for the backlight.

Besides the other stuff, the backlight reduces eye fatigue, cause like your parents said, don't watch TV in the dark...

Edit: the bulb mentioned is rated at 5000K. CRI is more important for the light than the color temp, though some may prefer the bluer-white of the higher temp bulbs. Up to you, tinker with it, it's supposed to help, not annoy you...

Audio-Enthusiast

got my Ideal-Lume in
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2005, 12:55 am »
So here is the scoop.  Got the fixture, bulb and filter package last week.  I wanted to test it out before I write back.

First of all. when I got it I was supprised at the care that was given in packaging the light.  It came in a 8" x 8" x 36" double box and I was happy to see nothing was broken (when shipped to Canada).  After taking it out and reading the instructions I desided that I was simply going to place some velcrow on the back on the RPTV and the Ideal-lume.  I experimented with different locations and chose my third option - to install it vertically.

Here was my chalange.  We have a ligh coloured wood shelf from IKea installed horizontally on the front wall just about 12 higher than the top of the TV.  When the light was washing the wall, it would iluminate to much of the underside of the shelf and provide a strong glow that would be bothersome when watching TV.  I then lowered the light (again keeping it horiz.) This helped but I still had a hot spot or surface on the underside of that shelf.  Then it occured to me, why not hang it vertically.  The black ends caps prevent to much light from going vertically and redirect the illumination horizontaly like I wanted it.   So after about 10' of tape I finally found the optimal light position.  Oh ya I played with the filter that came with my purchase an yes this would be a must for a light colour front wall.  I have a dark teracata reddish colour and could have gone without it.

Now for the viewing test.  The literature sais it shall:
1 - Reduce Eye strain
2 - Improve colour perception
3 - Enhance perceived black levels and contrast
4 - Preserve maximum resolution and correct geometry
5 - Reveal nuances in hue and shading
6 - Eliminate glare and reflections
7 - Prolongs the life of your TV
8 - Colour correct for the new ATSC DTV standards

I found that yes 1, 3, and 6 is very true and noticable.  It really works!  As for the others statements, I havn't recalobrated the TV with my DV Essentials disc yet so I can't really comment on 2.  I havn't notice 4 or 5.  As for 8, well It's not a HDTV. :cry: Don't get me wrong I love this 51" RPTV...

For the amount of time we all spend watching movies here at our house, I think it's a wise investment.  For those of you interested the replacement bulbs (6500K 98 CRI) is only $10.95 US plus shipping.  Oh ya, there is such a thing as a RF remote-control (on/off switch) for this light, It's $20.00 US :)

Cheers

Ivan