Clari-t (or new Lotus) + Dynaudio ?

AintJoM0mma

« on: 28 May 2005, 05:09 pm »
My friend a6m-zero, told me about how unbelievable your products are :) . I want to buy an amp from you, but im wondering if it will power my Dynaudios to the level I want? Dynaudios are very power hungry speakers.  I like a lot of rock music, and sometimes go up to 95db levels (rarely) and I like a lot of impact and dynamics. Do you think a Clari-T would give me what I want?

This looks like an extremely cool product  8)

ugh..it wont let me change my username  :|

Zero

« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2005, 05:29 pm »
AJM,

I hope that DMason can chime in, as he is the local resident who has experience Dynaudio Contour 1.8's (if memory serves me correct) with the Clari-T and reported that it could drive them well.  Hopefully he can give a bit more insight and advice.

I will just repeat what I said last night.  I have complete faith that the Clari-t can drive any of the Danes in the contour line.  However, I highly doubt this little amp can dish out the volumes you are hoping to achieve.  The 6 watts are mighty, but it is still just 6 watts.

I hope that people who are using conventional speakers (or have used) in conjunction with this amp will speak up.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-t (or new Lotus) + Dynaudio ?
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2005, 10:19 pm »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
My friend a6m-zero, told me about how unbelievable your products are :) . I want to buy an amp from you, but im wondering if it will power my Dynaudios to the level I want? Dynaudios are very power hungry speakers.  I like a lot of rock music, and sometimes go up to 95db levels (rarely) and I like a lot of impact and dynamics. Do you think a Clari-T would give me what I want?

This looks like an extremely cool product  8)

ugh..it wont let me change my username  :|

AJM,

I suppose it depends on a few factors (ex. speaker sensitivity rating, room size, etc).  If your Dynaudios are not efficient and you still want really good impact and dynamics, the Red Wine Teac is probably the better choice for you:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Teac_AL700P_mods.html

It has that super-fast and clean battery-powered Tripath sound, but with more balls  :guitar:

Dmason

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2005, 11:30 pm »
Soon we  can see how the Balls-to-the-Wall full-on retro-fit T-Ack does with Dynaudio Contour 1.8MkII, which is about 86db, if you have the stand mount Contours these are even more constipated.

The fact that the ClariT drove them at all was impressive, the fact that it did very alright, even moreso. These Dyns are usually hitched to a 250 watt Bryston 4BST Crunch Meister amplifier.  My guess is that the Teac would actually do very, very well.

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2005, 12:10 am »
AJM, just in case you're considering a conversion...I gave up on Scanspeak speakers (can we agree Dyn and Scan are the same "type" of drivers?) when I tried Fostex FE107e and FE167e with a tube amp (and an ss powered sub). No crossovers, no crossovers, no crossovers... After breakin sweet and clear. I'm not pushing Fostex, tho' you should check them out ( :lol: ) , but consider how much you could sell your Dyns for (if you eventually wanted to...) vs. how little a pair of Fostex or other drivers are...probably could afford some different electronics...
I'm focusing on getting the stock Teac, listen to it a couple weeks, then send it in to Vinnie for the works ("you want fries with that?"   "Absolutely!!") Don

Dmason

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2005, 05:05 am »
Don

You are on a righteous path. The synergy between the two is astounding. I have been collecting Fostex drivers, and I find they all sound different, yet with a sort of similar sonic signature, and to my amazement, they ALL sound really, really good. I have yet to hear the FE107, I have seen some tasty little folded pipes that are the rage in Japan, and have been for years, and THEY take their music more seriously than we do in the west.

AYM-

As a former Dynaudio owner, I found the Fostex drivers rock out even better than the Dyns, because of their much higher sensitivity. I dont really even consider Dynaudio great rock speakers, because they need to be pushed sooooo hard with so much current. You dont need Jumbo Amps to get the crunch, with high sensitivity drivers.  You should even at least consider selling the Dyns to finance an entire lightweight, high performance rig using a ClariT and some Fostex based stuff, like Omegas. Having said that, the ClariT and Dynaudio experiment sounded much better, and trumped with the Bryston and Joule Electra tube pre. Just not as powerful, underpowered.

nodiak

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2005, 01:07 am »
DMason, the 107's apparently need more than the ~ 100 hr's I gave them to breakin, still sound too hard in the treble for me. The 167's became mellow and sweet, very clear but not warm. A sub system filled in. I esp. liked them crossed at 150-200 hz in OB's (a lay rendition of Basszilla idea, w/ no xo's). The 107's in OB held everything in smaller tighter soundstage, and were more solid-maybe would open up with time. Flavors.
    But now I have Decware Radial 1.5's and their soundstage works best for me. The music is laid out in a panaramic flow with no overintense sweetspot, instead about 4' wide epicenter that tapers off gradually as you move around the room. I do long for the 167's tone at times (I'll bring them out again soon), but these paper drivers are nice too, just drier. Also tho an OB's rear wave and reflections can be dialed in with absorption and diffraction to really fill a room with realistic delay times too. I've been thinking of a Radial OB setup, probly rear opening toward floor.
    Anxious to try Teac, shying away from ClariT because of fewer watts, just can't worry about headroom failure now (it's summer, hung up the robe and slippers and slowed down dawdling with gear in eves for a few months). Hope T has similar fidelity to ClariT.
    Will keep up on Red Wines evolution, but will need to try tubes again eventually, got the bug from decware Zen C.
    Don

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2005, 11:18 am »
Don,

The stock Clari-T has adequate power for my single driver speakers using Fostex F200A drivers (rated at 90 dB/w/m) in a 1700 cu. ft. (11 ft x 19 ft) living room for these 40+ ears/taste.  At the recent Decware based MichiFest the Clari-T had balls compared to any of the 2 - 6 wpc Decware amps.  (Although the Decware Torii at least matches the Clari-T in this regard, but has exagerated/uncontrolled bass.)  This is more of an issue with full range than the typical little/bass weak speakers that many SET fans have had to settle for.  And it had deep/full bass compared to any of them too (not even close).  Clarity was improved, but it did lack some organic tube sound and hyper real imaging that the Decwares do so well.

The math says the Clari-T would drive the Dyns to 94 dB/w/m.  OTOH the same math would say that a 1.5 liter engine would drive a Buick to 80 mph too.  It seems that little is given up in terms of quality with the battery Teac.  If you're in love with the Dyns, the Teac is the battery/digital way to go.  IMO the incredible dynamics offered by digital amps offset their lack of measured watts per channel and make them more usable at "real world" listening levels.

nodiak

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2005, 04:02 pm »
Hi JLM, first off I'm not into the Dyns, that was the thread starter, tho I was into Scanspeak. I've got Radial 1.5's and Fostex 167e and dual 107e's, and I use a powered sub. I hear you on the ClariT having good power for a 6 watter, to be sure I've been using a Si and it is pretty good at running my speakers. It's just me but I can't even have a small worry about if/if not enough power these days. No room for such issues now, summers comin and I'm outside more instead of in front of the stereo so much. I just want to turn it on when I'm home, and not dabble for awhile.
    The Teac should be a no worries default amp for me. I'll get back to the more subtle gear when the weather changes.
    Also, your battles with the Decwarians are well documented, instructive and entertaining. I appreciate the single driver solution you've chosen, almost went for that driver/cab myself. I also appreciate their choices. For me tho it's always come down to subs and monitors, just cleans up the mids tremendously and bass that only a true bass driver can deliver. Physics.
    Also, who likes what comes down to many things - personal sinus tuning, bone density reverberation characteristics, chemical balances, sensual health, ear shape, social integration/conditioning, what your heroes like,...and, oh yea, ego trips.
    This new technology calls me too, hopefully for more fullfillment and not just perspective. It's going to evolve (better, or no pcb's eventually?) and I think Vinnie is one of the first to get it's abilities. Anything bought from him should be upgradeable for awhile.
    If I get my wish eventually I'll have tripath, tube, and ss amps to play and learn from, and keep my faves.
    Now, what preamp...and should i go for the Monica dac...
    Don

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2005, 01:35 am »
Don,

Yeah I had a matched TL passive sub to go with monitors into the 90s and I have a small powered sub for my 2.1 HT system, so I appreciate the advantages of subs.  I'm just into the simpliest possible solutions now.

I'm laying off the music too a bit now as I was trying to quickly break-in new equipment over the winter and wore out the family.

Battles??  I know that I don't fit in with the Decware bunch now that I've gone digital and average efficiency speakers that produce more/musical bass than almost anything those folks use.  And I might have been outspoken (hard to express exact intent online).

nodiak

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2005, 09:31 pm »
JLM, my bad in overstating anything between you and the Decware group, just seemed that way to me but no big deal, as well as none of my business anyway. Sorry if I offended you.
    I had a great time this winter with stereo gear, even tho I didn't complete my mission. But now isn't a good time for me to try to work out any subtleties. I think the Red WineTeac will make me plenty happy.
    Don

barfind

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2005, 11:23 pm »
Some on that "other forum" have too much of an axe to grind :nono:
Hi Guys :D

Nigel

miklorsmith

Yeah
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2005, 11:26 pm »
Those guys suck.  We rule.

I love tribalism!   :D