Advise on Amps for RM 40 or 30 for HT

gavelbanger

« on: 26 May 2005, 09:01 pm »
I am a long time reader but recent member of audiocircle.  Currently I have Tower II SEs as my main speakers and a 626SE as my center.  My amp for the front speakers is a Cinenova Grand.  I now have permission from the family comptroller to start  looking for new speakers.  I hope to get RM 40s for the mains and a RM30c for center.  I want to bi-amp with the Cinenova running the woofers and a Pass Lab X3 running the uppers.  Does anyone see any problems that I may encounter?  Any recommendation?  I would be curious if anyone has experience with the x3 on any of the ribbon monitors.  Many thanks.  I have learned much reading all of your posts.   :D

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2005, 10:22 pm »
I have a situation like that where I use the CineNova for Bass (Largers) and the Son of AMPzilla on the mains (626Rs), but that could be an excellent combo spread over the RM40 too.

I think you'll find people using VMPS have many favorite amps, the Pass being one of them.

I know Big B, uses the Ampzillas, or more accuratley the Sons of Ampzilla to drive the RM40s.  Which is just what we did at CES this last year.

They sounded remarkable.

If you search the older posts, you will also find a post or two with this same question. (and lots of answers)

gavelbanger

Thanks, LRC vs. RM 30C
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2005, 10:40 pm »
John,
Thanks for the quick reply.  What are your feelings about the RM30C versu the LRC for a center speaker with the RM40s as mains?  I understand the LRC was designed just for center channel applications but that was before the RM 30.  But then there is a cost factor also.  My initial thought is that the RM 30 would  be worth the difference. (At this rate I will be burning up more browny points than I'll earn in a lifetime, so what the heck :) )

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2005, 11:23 pm »
Well we have to say that both speakers are great for HT center channels.

The LRC will handle small to medium large rooms, and the RM30C will handle most any room you can park it in.

They are closer in price than the base price suggests since the RM30C already includes the FST and soundcoat at $1599

The LRC with those options would be $1225 (base price $950 + $200 fst +$75 soundcoat)

If you have a rear or front projection TV and the space, the RM30 is shwwwweeeat!  If you are limited on space and money, the LRC will fill in with no sweat.

And don't forget that the RM40 can also be used horizontally for a center channel experience you won't soon forget :o  :o

Starting at $2299 plus shipping it cannot be matched by any other center under $5000 (IMHO :mrgreen: )

ScottMayo

Re: Thanks, LRC vs. RM 30C
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2005, 03:35 pm »
Quote from: gavelbanger
John,
Thanks for the quick reply.  What are your feelings about the RM30C versu the LRC for a center speaker with the RM40s as mains?  I understand the LRC was designed just for center channel applications but that was before the RM 30.  But then there is a cost factor also.  My initial thought is that the RM 30 would  be worth the difference. (At this rate I will be burning up more browny points than I'll earn in a lifetime, so what the heck :) )

I have the RM30C for my center, driven by a Bryston amp. It's gorgeously clean - a very accurate combination. (For really deep stuff you'll want a subwoofer, but you need to do that no matter what.)

I'd splash out for the RM30C. If you ever want to experiment with trinural, or want to fill a room with good surround sound, you want something that's not "just" a center speaker. The 30 has lots of reach and power handling.

Of course, if you can talk John C into a "buy 2, get 1 free" deal on RM40's...  :mrgreen:

I don't know your budget so I won't recommend amps. Center channels want clarity and shouldn't have any added darkness, so an overly "musical", warm amp is a mistake, IMHO. I like Bryston, but they aren't precisely cheap. Lots of folk swear by Ampzilla, and I hear that Outlaw is good for the price. Audition before you buy an amp, unless you know the brand well.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2005, 05:03 pm »
Some people have said that the LRC can't keep up with the RM40s.  I also have an RM30C, driven biamped by two channels of a Bryston 9B.  The RM30C is far better than my previous center channel, a Linn 5120 (which I also had biamped).  And I really liked the Linn, but the RM30C is better in every way (well, the Linn's cherry finish was nice, but the black of the current RM30C goes better with my system).   Plus, it's nice to be able to tune the RM30C to be the way you want it.

Geo

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2005, 08:00 pm »
My new favorite amp for my RM40s is......
DK Design VS.1 Reference MKII
Compared to the other amps I've used with the RM40s (Pass Lab X-350, McCormack DNA-2, among others) the DK really hits the RM40s hard but not bright. Startling combination.... me thinks.

jimmyp58

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2005, 12:09 am »
I use the LRC with the RM40's with no problems at all.

gavelbanger

Thanks Everyone
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2005, 01:55 am »
What a goldmine this forum is!  :D   So much good information in such a short time.  Thanks and keep it coming.  The great frustration is learning about all of these great options but not being able to hear them for myself.  The internet is great for finding bargins and getting information but I am afraid that it may have run the local highend shops out of business, leaving us with Tweeter and Circuit City :( .  

Again, thanks to John, Eric, and everyone else who has been helpful.  Right now I'm leaning towards the triple RM30s with subs, but I can't get the RM40s out of my head.  But I will deserve the Silver Tongue Award if I talk the wife into this! :wink:

ekovalsky

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2005, 03:04 am »
Quote from: Geo
My new favorite amp for my RM40s is......
DK Design VS.1 Reference MKII
Compared to the other amps I've used with the RM40s (Pass Lab X-350, McCormack DNA-2, among others) the DK really hits the RM40s hard but not bright. Startling combination.... me thinks.

I haven't heard the DK Design, but it looks like an amp costing much more than it does.  Gorgeous piece of equipment!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Thanks Everyone
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2005, 03:33 am »
Quote from: gavelbanger
What a goldmine this forum is!  :D   So much good information in such a short time.  Thanks and keep it coming.  The great frustration is learning about all of these great options but not being able to hear them for myself.  The internet is great for finding bargins and getting information but I am afraid that it may have run the local highend shops out of business, leaving us with Tweeter and Circuit City :( .  

Again, thanks to John, Eric, and everyone else who has been helpful.  Right now I'm leaning  ...

You can afford RM 40's if you buy used.  :o

George

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2005, 02:14 pm »
Some people have also said that because the tweeter is on one side of the RM30C, they can hear this. Personally, I cannot, but I also have a matching stand for my gear, and my RM30C is part way over my RPTV (about 2/3 the way).  If you had a RPTV only and had the RM30C on it, you might notice this, especially if you take the cover off and see where the tweeter physically is.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2005, 04:46 am »
The amps I had before the current $2500 Sunfire Cinema Grand 200-five were early Ampzilla monos ($5k/pr).

Overall the Sunfire is better.  The Ampzillas might have had very marginally more pure mids & treble, but I don't think so.  The Sunfire has apparently unlimited power & dynamic capacity, not the case with the Ampzilla.  Also the Sunfire's bass seems better.  Add in the fact the Sunfire is much smaller & lighter, less costly, has five channels, burns much less current & costs less to operate.  What's not to like?