Anyone thought of making a line array w/ Tang Band drivers

JoshK

After I play around with building some computer speakers out of the tang band drivers I was thinking of making speakers for my HT out of tang band drivers and I had a thought of creating the R&L as a line array of tang bands.  Good idea or bad?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2003, 08:50 pm »
There will be some comb filtering issues with using 3" drivers full range in a line array.  But you could always try it and see how it sounds.  You may or may not notice it.  I've got a couple of design ideas that I'm playing around with doing something similar to this.  I just haven't ironed everything out yet.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2003, 09:21 pm »
Brian,

Thanks for your reply.  Does this comb filtering happen primarily in the high frequencies?  Could you possibly use a LPF for all but the center driver?  I have already read up a little on the diyaudio forum about something like this.   I have to admit most of this is a bit beyond me at the moment but I am willing to experiment.

Another question is whether to create a dipole line array or a sealed line array and the later what I had considered myself.  I guess I am going to have to figured out what would be needed to build a sealed enclosure.  I have already concluded that the drivers would need to be wired in a combination of parrallel and series to reach an appropriate impedance.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2003, 09:27 pm »
I don't remember what frequency it occurs at off the top of my head, but the comb filtering will be at the frequency that corresponds to the center to center spacing of the drivers, which will be around 4".  Also, there will probably be sensitivity issues if you use one for higher frequencies and the rest for lower frequencies.

I'd use them for a standard sealed or ported enclosure.  I don't see any point in using these for bipole.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2003, 09:31 am »
It depends on the driver spacing and the number of drivers as well. You can do some sims with the VPR from these guys:

http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

The older version I have says that 8 3" drivers spaced 4" apart will droop 3dB at 3700 Hz. That's on-axis (vertically), off-axis will drop earlier, check out the spreadsheet.

I reckon a pretty good cheap(-ish) speaker with some impact could probably be made with say four of the 4" (not 3") drivers and a piezo tweeter. Assuming you don't mind doing the woodwork.