T7 driving solid state amps

Charles Calkins

« on: 25 May 2005, 10:50 pm »
Hi guys:
  I'm just about ready to give Frank a call and order his T7 ECR preamp. One thing that's on my mind is how does the T7 ECR react driving a solid state amp. I use Nad 218THX amps in mono and my CJ-PFR drives the living crap put of them. I would be very disappointed if when I got the T7 there was a (How shall I say) problem driving the Nad's. Quite some time ago I tried a quicksilver And I was very disappointed in the results.

Thanks and cheers have a nice memorial day.
                             Charlie

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2005, 11:09 pm »
No problem with a T7 preamp driving a solid state amplifier.  Our circuit has a low output impedance and high drive current so it can drive any rational amplifier load.  Its not going to sound like mush doing it either, very dynamic and transparent.

Frank

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: T7 driving solid state amps
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2005, 11:17 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
Hi guys:
  I'm just about ready to give Frank a call and order his T7 ECR preamp. One thing that's on my mind is how does the T7 ECR react driving a solid state amp. I use Nad 218THX amps in mono and my CJ-PFR drives the living crap put of them. I would be very disappointed if when I got the T7 there was a (How shall I say) problem driving the Nad's. Quite some time ago I tried a quicksilver And I was very disappointed in the results.

Thanks and cheers have a nice memorial day.
                             Charlie

I paired the T7 with both solid state and tube amps.  Never had any issues.

George

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2005, 12:30 am »
No problems. Very dynamic and extended.

erasmustazz

T7 preamp driving a solid state amplifier
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2005, 08:52 pm »
My T7 is currently (sorry) driving an NAD 218 in stereo wired to each speaker in a VMPS New Larger Sub., as well as a pair of Mackie 824 powered monitors and it works just fine. The only problem I have had was in finding a crossover that doesn't muffle the T7's output. After much experimentation I gave up on active x-overs, tuned my listening area and had Luminous Audio Tech. build me an impedence matched passive level control for a very reasonable price. I now have a truly fine sounding systen, especially since adding the AVA OmegaStar DAC.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2005, 10:06 pm »
erasmustazz:
  If I'm reading right it looks like you have your Nad 218 Driving four speakers. Right? Why the crossover? I'm only driving two speakers. Takes me a few trys to get the picture.

Cheers
                                   Charlie

boead

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2005, 11:39 pm »
I drive a 2watt SET. There are some preamps (from the same maker and others) that intentionally have a lot of drive for amps like SET’s and help get a little extra out of them. There are even CDP’, Phono pre’s and tube buffer stages (cathode followers) that add a substantial amount of gain over ‘standard’ circuits that again, are meant to help low (flea) powered amp gain a bit more headroom. I was concerned that the T7 won’t have as much as some others but compared to a Bryston Pre I replaced, the T7 has lots of drive that’s very transparent. I’m VERY pleased with its sound.

If there are any problems, it’ll be the fault of the amp not the AVA preamp.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2005, 05:02 pm »
Hi Guys:
  In doing research for a tube preamp I find that some manufactuers offer upgrades over and above their basic preamp. They talk about Black Gate Caps. Sonic Caps. Tantalum resistors. Bybee purifers. DH labs wiring. I know what wiring but I haven't a clue as to the other stuff. As Frank has said in the past "Hocus Pocos" or something like that. Anybody have opinions?

Cheers
                                                 Charlie

Zheeeem

Parts and stuff
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2005, 06:25 pm »
They talk about Black Gate Caps. Sonic Caps. Tantalum resistors. Bybee purifers. DH labs wiring. I know what wiring but I haven't a clue as to the other stuff.

Some observations.

1.  The concept of a quantum purifier is a bit too strange for me.  I have always been skeptical about products the workings of which the marketer cannot explain.  

2.  Some parts manufacturers do produce better quality parts than other parts manufacturers.

3.  "Equivalent" parts by differing parts manufacturers may sound different (the best example of which is tubes).  And a part that sounds "good" in one manufacturer's circuit may sound "not good" in another manufacturer's circuit (otherwise, there would be a single "best" tube, second best, third best, etc.).

4.  Audio equipment manufacturers ought to experiment with parts from a variety of manufacturers in the active circuits to understand which parts perform "best".

5.  It is often a very bad idea to change parts design (e.g., go from metal film to mica to tantalum to ceramic capacitors) unless you know more than the manufacturer about his/her circuits.

6.  There is a staggering amount of hype and BS in the audio business.

As a consequence, I am very skeptical when a manufacturer offers me the "option" of replacing all the parts with "name brand" parts.  Firstly, it seems a bit random.  But secondly it makes me wonder what the design philosophy of the company really is.  The message I receive is that there are two versions available, one with "good" parts and one with "bad" parts.  Why would a manufacturer make something with parts he/she believed were bad?

Jason1

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2005, 06:40 pm »
Its basicaly just to get the maximum performance out of that design, but you can only take a mediocre component so far with mods.

A great design with cheap parts will always sound better then a bad design with great parts. That goes for speakers as well.

OldCoder

T7 ability to drive solid state amps
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2005, 01:26 am »
I've had my T7 since September last year, and I have had absolutely no problem driving either solid state amps or tube amps.

I must confess that the best sounding amps have been Van Alstine amps, since I have auditioned a wide variety of those, and also a McIntosh tube amp.

In each case, the limiting factor has been the amp, not the preamp.

Although, if you try one of Frank's Fet Value amps, you may find the amp can almost keep up with the pre-amp.

Highly underrated gear.......

Charles Calkins

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2005, 02:49 pm »
Hi Guys:
  Just got off the phone with Frank Van Alstine. Ordered my T7 ECR preamp and it will be ready in three weeks.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback on my dumb and dumber questions. I appreciate the responses.

Cheers
                                        Charlie

skrivis

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2005, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: Jason1
Its basicaly just to get the maximum performance out of that design, but you can only take a mediocre component so far with mods.

A great design with cheap parts will always sound better then a bad design with great parts. That goes for speakers as well.

A great design, almost by definition, has "good" parts.

If anyone tells you that they can go in and willy-nilly replace a bunch of parts with "name brand" or "better" parts, without re-engineering the product - they're hoping you'll be their next sucker.

Hey, I've got some power cords made with all antique, high-purity, long-crystal copper. They're insulated with an air dielectric which is far superior to any of the artificial materials so many buffoons use (compared to air, even cloth is artificial).

Shielding is from Alcoa - it's industrial-strength.

Interested?

Oh, I have to warn you that your insurance company will probably cancel your policy if they find out about these cords...

Charles Calkins

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2005, 11:13 pm »
skrivis:

Trade you some stock in Enron for the power cords. :D  :D  :D

Cheers
                     Charlie

skrivis

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2005, 03:19 pm »
skrivis:

Trade you some stock in Enron for the power cords. :D  :D  :D

Cheers
                     Charlie

My gut feeling is that Enron stock is probably worth more than some of the "audiophile" power cords. :)

Enjoy your T7! :)