Exodus 61 Review

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Exodus 61 Review
« on: 25 May 2005, 02:57 pm »
Just wanted to point this out.   Mike over at Home Theater Talk called up and ordered seven KIT61s last month.   He has posted a review on his forum.  

Exodus 61 Review

Here are a couple quotes, just the juicy stuff.

"I will not belabor how important I have found having identical speakers in all the positions is. Not “voice matched” or “timbre matched”…IDENTICAL. This was the single most significant improvement in my theater sound EVER. Next was the ability of the Deco-Extremis to reproduce low frequencies with extraordinary accuracy. Each speaker now had a unified “weight” that makes a sound ENVIRONMENT rather than a "sound field". My crossover is set to 40hz and the Deco-Extremis’ don’t even flinch.

Here is another one.

Now the feature I feel is just as strong as the low extension of these speakers is the upper end. That Usher tweeter is smooth. I mean smooth. If you imagine your current tweeter to be a cotton sheet, imagine the Usher to be silk. No harshness, even with really bright film soundtrack effects. I never once winced due to the ice-pick effect.

One of the reasons tweeters go hard with dynamic peaks is they are running into significant distortion at peaks.   The Usher has tons of linear excursion and if you look at it's distortion spectrum under power it maintains much lower distortion levels at higher power levels.   We needed that for matching up with the XBL^2 Extremis &  WR-125 which exhibit very little compression based issues.

And finally...

These are not bargain basement speakers, and they don’t sound like bargain basement speakers either. I suspect I will be happy with these for a good 5 years or more. They do everything very well and were a cinch to construct. They happen to image as well as ANY speaker I have EVER heard. While watching "National Treasure" the front sound "ENVIRONMENT" extended so far beyond the speakers I replayed a perticular scene several times just to be sure my medication was not causing audio halucinations. I don’t know what more one could ask of a kit.