DLP rp ?

lcrim

DLP rp ?
« on: 24 May 2005, 06:59 pm »
Spent some time over on AVS forum to check out whether the Panny plasmas had finally gotten down to where people other than attorneys could afford them and picked up on DLP rear projection sets esp. Samsung and Toshiba.  Brightness and clarity are supposedly now much improved and that washed out, fuzzy image image typical of LCD and CRT rear projection are a thing of the past.
I would be not so politely ignored for asking over there (and maybe here too) but does anybody have one and could perhaps enlighten me.
TIA

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
DLP rp ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2005, 10:51 pm »
I'd say to you: Wait.

Wait until at least this Fall to see all the new 1080p native display DLP's that Samsung, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, et al are putting out.

This will do two things for you:

1.) Most obviously, you have your choice of 1080p Native Resolution displays.

OR

2.) Prices drop on any existing models as consequence, thus meaning some serious bargains.

Bemopti123

Wait is the name of the game
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 11:13 pm »
I see that there are some decent projectors out there for around 1K and even sub that, they use DLP and also LCD technology, but I think we are getting to the point where they will surely rival more mature products and also attain resolutions, as Q-Bandit said.  

Sure, it is tempting to pull the trigger now, instead of later, but some issues as

Rainbow effect, due to slower rotating speeds of DLP chip also blackness levels of LCD projectors, still keep me grounded to reality and

from pulling the BUY trigger.  

One of the best projectors that I remember reading about was the Optoma H30?  It had a faster wheel, thus less rainbow artifacts.  It that was the case last year, than, this year will surely be a special one.  

The worst thing to do is to buy something now and later, I mean  in less than 1 year figure out that the prices have dropped substantially or that the resolution has increased.  

Patience wins the game, especially in this case.

I am in your same shoes now, just waiting.

brj

Nano Emissive Flat Screen Display
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2005, 02:08 am »
Lots of new technologies in the TV field coming to fruit in the next few years.  I find this technology particularly interesting.  The article discusses a working prototype, but it will probably be a few years to hit full production.

Wait for this or other improvements if you can live with what you have now, but realize that there will be better and cheaper options just around the corner for the forseeable future.  It isn't worth waiting forever for the next best thing because it is a never ending cycle. The TV field seems very much like the computer field at the moment....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
DLP rp ?
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2005, 02:26 am »
Just like computers and other electronics, the longer you wait, the more you get for your money or the less you pay for the same technology.

It always costs more to be on or near the bleeding edge.   :cry:  The newer 1080p products won't be cheap.

Three years ago I paid a lot to get one of the top pj's on the market (Marantz VP12S1).  The same or even more capable pj's today are 1/3 the price.  

However, I have had a top notch pj for the past 3+ years and it is still competitive with many of today's offerings.

Went through the same thing on the plasma front...

You also need to ask why you want to go plasma vs. rear pj.  If you don't need the wall mount option, you can absolutely get a bigger pciture for les money going rear pj route.  Check out the new Toshiba rear pj's - picture quality is quite good.  Of course, you can't go wrong with the Panny or NEC plasmas.

Best of luck.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
DLP rp ?
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2005, 04:01 am »
You could get hit by a bus in three months! :o   BUY now and enjoy it! :lol:

LadyDog

DLP rp ?
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2005, 02:46 pm »
Agree w/George.  Technology is always advancing.  There will always be something better.   And unless you are on the cutting edge, prices are falling.

I'm not an advocate for spending money if you don't need to, but if you truly want a new tv, try the new lcd/dlp's.  Not sure what your budget is but you can buy a very nice 50"+ lcd or dlp for just over $2k.      

In our house we have one of each of the technologies.  While my personal preference is for plasma, it takes a lot of coin to get anything over 42".  Between the other two, I like dlp better.  Others may like lcd more, so to each his own.  Go take a look at them and decide for yourself.  Either way, you will get a great picture.      

Good luck in your hunt.  Regards, Jeff

MaxCast

DLP rp ?
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2005, 03:01 pm »
Be sure to check out the reflections from lights and windows.  JVC has a DlapII (or somthing like that) that didn't reflect ambient light like a plasma.  The viewing angle seemed to be a bit better than DLP also.

lcrim

DLP rp ?
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2005, 04:51 pm »
Actually the question grew out of a whine from my daughter and my girlfriend.  
The livingroom has a Sony 34" CRT that looks great even though it is about two and a half years old.   Its big and very heavy but the pq esp. on HD is terrific.
The problem is that the girls go up to my bedroom to watch their decorating shows and such on the 22" no name lcd I put on the wall in there.  Despite the food crumbs in my bed, I want to encourage their bonding and they want a bigger screen.  So I think another wall mount lcd or plasma would be a better fit.   The viewing distance to the head of the bed is about a 11-12'.  
Any ideas how to keep the cost down.

mcgsxr

DLP rp ?
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2005, 05:22 pm »
lcrim - first of all you annoy me, because you have the TV I wanted, when I bought my Vega!  :lol:   I love that 34 inch 16:9 CRT Sony.

Second of all, to your request, since you have an off brand LCD in situ now, would you consider dropping in a larger one?  I see from the attached link that Tigerdirect has 42 inch plasma's starting at USD$1400 or so, and running up to $1800 for a Sony one.

Perhaps one of those would do the trick?

I know that people are suggesting that holding out for development X is best, but it never really ends... so at some point you have to decide to get off the development train, and get on the enjoyment train!

Good luck with your decision,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=37

LadyDog

DLP rp ?
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2005, 07:54 pm »
Larry,
Based on what you said, I would look for a plasma.  The last time we looked at the wall mountable lcd's I was not very impressed.  They were nice mind you, but you can count on spending $3000-4500 for a 40+" lcd, while a name brand 42" plasma can be had for under $2k(about the same cost as a 32" lcd).  That and I thought the plsmas had a better picture.  One of the other added advantages of a plasma is their massive viewing angles.

Regards,
Jeff

Audio-Enthusiast

DLP rp ?
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2005, 05:01 am »
Totaly agree with Q-BanditZ response.  

Whait 1 year for new technology (1080p) or the drop in currrent technology (720p) this is a wise strategy.  It's not verry often that we get this type of insight in what is comming down the pipe.  But for once we do know, and I have been earging people to hold on just 1 year for receiver, preamp and tv's.  Alot will be hapening in the next little while.  It will pay to be patient.

This is the sensible thing to do.

Cheers