Tripath in the car?

Brad

Tripath in the car?
« on: 24 May 2005, 03:14 pm »
Vinnie,

Just saw the Panasonic CQ-C9801U Cd player/head unit has a tripath chip in it to get 31wx4.  I wonder if there's room for some Blackgates or other RedWine magic in there.

Doesn't say much about the DAC in the unit.

You can find a link to the info on the Panasonic site - or also the Crutchfield website.

It also has 2 auxiliary inputs for maybe running a small computer into a Monica into the head unit......

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Tripath in the car?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2005, 04:50 pm »
Heres a Tripath with some potential.  http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/amplifiers/xxk_1500.htm   :mrgreen:

Brad

Tripath in the car?
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 07:10 pm »
So is that a single channel amp?

What I liked about the Panny was that it made for a much simpler system.
Head unit - good speakers - sub amp - sub.  A true 31 watts RMS should drive fairly efficient speakers as loud as I need at the ripe old age of 39.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Tripath in the car?
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2005, 10:53 pm »
Quote from: Brad
Vinnie,

Just saw the Panasonic CQ-C9801U Cd player/head unit has a tripath chip in it to get 31wx4.  I wonder if there's room for some Blackgates or other RedWine magic in there.

Doesn't say much about the DAC in the unit.

You can find a link to the info on the Panasonic site - or also the Crutchfield website.

It also has 2 auxiliary inputs for maybe running a small computer into a Monica into the head unit......

Hi Brad,

Such a unit most likely uses a switch-mode power supply  :x  to efficiently "chop up" the 12V battery power for all the other various lower voltages required for the cd/turner section, as well as dc-dc conversion to boost up the voltage required to obtain 30 watts x 4 RMS into 4-ohm car speakers.
Switch-mode power supplies are nasty, and pretty much defeat the purpose of using battery power.

Quote from: konut
Heres a Tripath with some potential. http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/amplifiers/xxk_1500.htm

This unit definitely uses a switching power supply to boost the battery voltage high enough to get that kind of wattage!  :o

Quote from: brad
What I liked about the Panny was that it made for a much simpler system.  Head unit - good speakers - sub amp - sub. A true 31 watts RMS should drive fairly efficient speakers as loud as I need at the ripe old age of 39.

IMO, you are better off with something like the Sharp SD-EX111 all-in-one unit.  It is probably a lot easier to use, has a remote, aux input, binding posts, etc.  

Please don't let me stop you from getting one if you are interested.  I just wanted to give you my opinion on it.  :wink:

Regards,

Wombat_VC

Blaupunkt had Tripath
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2005, 02:40 am »
Blaupunkt used to have the PA 4100 4-ch amp. Uses Tripath, gives 4 X 100W RMS in a package that can fit under the seat!

Too bad the reliability was poor. Loosing 1 channel within half a year on 3 amps that I went through.

Brad

Tripath in the car?
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2005, 04:08 pm »
So how is the Sharp Sd-EX111 going to fit in my dashboard?

Other thought:   would it be possible to use the Teac digital amps in the car environment?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Tripath in the car?
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2005, 04:16 pm »
Quote from: Brad
So how is the Sharp Sd-EX111 going to fit in my dashboard?

Other thought:   would it be possible to use the Teac digital amps in the car environment?

Doh!  :oops:

Sorry, Brad, I thought that you were looking to use the Panasonic for a home system  :lol:

For a car system, but all means, give the Panasonic a try.  I have no idea how it sounds like though, but I'm sure it can be modded  :wink:

-Vinnie

Brad

Tripath in the car?
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2005, 04:37 pm »
:lol:  :lol:
I have joint custody of my two sons, so every other week my commute goes from 10 mins to 90mins each way.   I haven't done a good car stereo in a few years and I'm thinking it might be time to get back into it.   3 hours/day is a significant chunk of time for listening.

The Panny seemed like it would be an immediate improvement over the factory stereo - just add good front speakers.  I have a sealed JL audio 12" sub and a good sub amp.

If I get the Panny, I'll ping you offline to see about taking a look inside for obvious easy improvements.   Thanks for the reply, Vinnie! 8)