SONY AVDS50ES AND AVDS500ES---Help please.

DVDCO

« on: 23 May 2005, 08:27 pm »
Hello,
This is my first post on Audio Circle and I hope some residant experts can offer some guidance. We have just bought our first large screen TV and last week found on sale (old stock) a Sony AVDS50ES, complete with SS-LA300ED speakers(4), a SS LAC 305ED centre speaker, a SA-WD100 sub-woofer--all new in the box at a local retailer at a great price.
After set up we were amazed at the sound quality. Outstanding. Punchy, crisp,---perfect , at least for our ears.
Then we played a DVD--it skipped, hesitated, ran normal and repeated the cylcle at will. Whilst in hesitation/slow play it started to impact the DVD sound track. The sound left for good and did not return. The unit was returned to the dealer to send to Sony. Based on the sound, and the brief glimpses of picture quality, We decided to buy a AVDS500ES they had sitting on the shelf. New in the box, but the last one they had.
We set it up and "that sound" we liked so much was back.  Life was good---until we tried to play a DVD. This time the movie started and played normally for about 45 seconds before the green flickering started. In less than 30 seconds later the whole image was distorted and breaking down into a green colored mess. Igot hold of Sony online in an attempt to find out what could be going on , complete waste of time !!.
Took the unit back to the retailer again, with my cables and requested they make it work for me. Same result. They located another AVDS500ES at another of their branches. I collected that one. It plays DVD but I now find I have to increase the contrast, brightness, sharpness on my TV  to get a watchable image. Also, that beautiful sound does not get my attention on this unit. It sounds muffled and in need of increasd treble and decreased bass.But that ,I guess, cannot be changed.
Was I being stupid buying into a flawed product ??, Am I just plain unlucky ? .
What do you think folks , input sought. Thanks.  :(  :(

F-100

« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2005, 09:03 pm »
I have been using my Sony AVDS50ES for over 2 years now for my HT system on a daily basis and have no problem at all. However, I don't use the DVD feature on this player with my HD TV because I prefer to use an external upconverting DVD player. But ocassionally, I listen to audio CD and SACD on this player and never had any problem.

jswallac

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2005, 09:21 pm »
I had a Sony AVDS50ES in my HT for well over a year (recently sold it).  I had played many DVDs and never had any problems.  It was connected to a Sony Grand Wega HD rear projection LCD TV.  The TV has given me a lot of problems with over $2,000 in repairs.  Luckily it was under warranty, although it took three weeks to repair.  Sony quality seems to be a thing of the past.  They now send things out and let the consumer find the problems.  A good example is their other digital amps, the 2000-5000ES series.  They finally had to do a major recall to fix some video upconversion, hissing, and low volume problems.  It seems to be a real crap shoot buying their stuff.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2005, 09:27 pm »
It sounds like you've got another bad unit.

DVDCO

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2005, 04:03 am »
Thanks for input folks, happy for those that the AVDs have been trouble free. I've sent yet another E-mail to Sony Corp.
I remember how clear and crisp PCM sounded to me years ago on a Sony 8mm VCR and camera that I had. Listening on headphones into the AVDS500ES to a standard CD (PCM), even that sounded "cloudy". Listened to the Super CD of Bob Dylan that came in the box and the surround effect and distribution was great---still sounded "uncrisp"though. Trouble is, the wife is not really into all this and just says, it sounds ok  to me, but, in such a way of course, that allows me to doubt myself. It must be my ears, I have tried to tell myself. But I know it's not.
 :roll: