Nohr 9.0 speakers - any good?

madders

« on: 23 May 2005, 07:21 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am interested in getting 5 or 6 of the 9.0 speakers for a new home theater/music setup, but when reading up on other websites and the Norh website, I am confused as to what is and isn't still available.

It seems the marble 9.0's are no longer available but are the SM9.0's still available?
Secondly, I have read that the crossovers may not be very good in the midrange. Is this true or just something someone made up?

I would be interested in opinions from people who have actually heard/owned the speakers as I love the Scanspeak drivers that they use which is the main reason I am looking to purchase "blind".

Thanks,

Steve

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2005, 07:34 pm »
You might be in luck as I have heard that the mason might want to start making marble speakers again.

You should check with nOrh to see what is available.

The standard XO's are OK, but not great.

I much prefer the XO's that Dennis Murphy has designed for the speaker.

Info at www.murphyblaster.com

I had an HT setup with 7 nOrh 9.0 speakers and I loved it.  I have since moved on, but I loved the sound of that HT.

madders

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 06:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply Marbles, I'll speak to nOrh.

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2005, 01:54 am »
nOrh XOs with Multicap capacitors are better than those with Bennics.  I am not sure which caps nOrh is currently using.  My 9.0s have Bennics so I do plan to get the Dennis Murphy XO down the road.

aggielaw

Murphy's XO's
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2005, 04:14 am »
I contacted Mr. Murphy in February when I first heard of his xo for the 9 series.  He does not make the xo's himself for others, so I'm wondering where I would go to have someone build the xo for me and instruct me on how to install it.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Howard

aggielaw

nOrh XO's
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2005, 04:17 am »
While we're on the subject of internal parts for the 9.0 series, I got an email from a guy a few months ago saying he had his mini 9.0's rewired by a friend with Siltech, and the speakers smoothed out ALOT.  I don't know if any of you have the same issue I do, but my mini 9.0's are a little bright with my SS equipment (McCormack RLD-1 Platinum preamp and DNA-0.5 Rev.A amp).  I'm using a 10-gauge speaker cable as recommended.

I wonder how much difference that Siltech wire could actually make.  Thoughts?

oris98

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2005, 07:02 am »
Dennis's XO has kicked my M.9s to another level.  I built the XO based on Dennis design with Soniccap with excellent result.  My friend also has got his M. 9s upgraded after hearing Dennis's XO.  When you building the XO, you can split the input into HF and LF for biamping which was how I did mine.  In addition, I put it a seperate project box as extern device and leave the original XO along inside the speakers.  Going external makes this mod easily to reverse if I deside to sell the speakers down the road.  

Of course, the better parts you use the better it sound (I use the highest quality parts that I can affort).